Author Topic: YSU Men Basketball to host in CIT/Coach Calhoun  (Read 14629 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU Men Basketball to host in CIT/Coach Calhoun
« on: March 09, 2020, 10:05:12 AM »
 YSU has accepted to play in the CIT post season tournament.  They have also bought the first two games and will host next Wednesday, March 18th and again on the 21st if we win the opener.  It would be great to host a MAC school.

How much longer will Coach Calhoun be at YSU?  With the team in position to be potentially 1st or 2nd the next two years, and if somehow he could get to the NCAA tournament, then I think 2 years at most.   I know he likes it here.  But his goal is a big time job.  In my opinion, he has it all to someday be in the big time.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Men Basketball to host in CIT/Coach Calhoun
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 10:44:24 AM »
Calhoun was the right guy for us, there is no doubt.  Regarding tenure, I think a Bid Dance bid would be a great way to go out and Huggins is 67 this year.  A couple years, a couple more winning seasons, a couple 20 win seasons and a Big Dance Bid?  Wouldn't that be GREAT!!  I'd feel the same way about him going to WVU as I did about JT going to OSU "THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!"  (JT's memories were real, we have a way to go for JC yet, but I feel good about the course so far!)  C U Wednesday!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 04:41:10 PM »
Coach loves it here I can tell you that. How long that lasts, I'm not sure but he and the staff really enjoy being here and trying to get this program out of despair.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 07:58:42 PM »
No dis-respect to coach or the program but I do not think that we are at that point yet. I would love it and be happy for coach if we finish out the year great and kill it the next couple of years. We need the big time programs after our coaches in any sport, that means we are doing things right.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 09:15:15 PM »
I love what coach Calhoun has done for the program but his record is 38- 59 in 3 years and a big time program can't sell that to their fan base. Now we all know that those numbers do not show how coach has elevated the program in wins each season and how he came in late and took over a program that has been traditionally one of the worst D1 programs with the exception of a few of Kendrick Perry's seasons.

If coach can get back to back 20 wins(expectations can be delusional) seasons then he'll have a lot of programs asking for interviews.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 08:24:52 AM »
WooooH WHOOO!! An everybody get's a participation trophy tourney  8)

Jeeesss! CBB is like 6-12 year old soccer  fb

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 01:09:05 PM »
I like Coach Calhoun and think he was a good hire.  However, take away the D3 wins and we are 30-59 the last 3 years.  With that said, we aren't a 20 win team either if we were to win the next 2 games.  I bet coach would agree too.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 01:40:47 PM »
I like Coach Calhoun and think he was a good hire.  However, take away the D3 wins and we are 30-59 the last 3 years.  With that said, we aren't a 20 win team either if we were to win the next 2 games.  I bet coach would agree too.
How do you take away wins from lower level teams and not lake away loses to higher level teams?  WVU etc. shouldn't count as loses using your method. 
If we win 20 games, we are a 20 win team, that is plain and simple math.  What if we don't count loses in football if they are from teams in the Dakotas?  We are a playoff team for sure! 
You say you like Calhoun then take elaborate means to show how poor he's doing.  Truth is Slocum left the cupboard worse than bare, it was virtually empty.  You want to do some creative math, how many wins do we have with a roster of majority Slocum guys and then a majority Calhoun guys.  Bet that tells a more honest picture of what JC is doing here. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »
YSU is 16-15 and ranked 221 in sagarin. The wins u r referring to are only counted in the YSU record books.  Kind of like all the track wins against D2 and 3 competition.  D1 bball is D1 in bball. This isnt FBS and FCS. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 03:03:22 PM by goodnews »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 04:37:04 PM »
Considering Slocum had 2 winning seasons out of 12 and those did not come until his 7th and 8th seasons, I'd say Calhoun is ahead of the curve on this one.

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 06:21:34 PM »
     Several posters are correct in their respective analyses.

YSU is Sagarin 221 as of today.  There are 353 Division I teams.  We stand at the 37th percentile.  This is not the ranking of a good team.  An argument can be made it is not the ranking of an average D1 team.  We have one signature win, Wright State.  Losses to Louisiana, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Cleveland State and Milwaukee (at home) did not help.  Wins versus non D1 teams are worthless in D1 eyes. 

On the other hand, CALHOUN offers hope, over time, that SLOCUM, ROBIC, STROIA, CLEMENS, et al did not.  He has made measurable progress.  He works hard, is likeable, is accessible, and presents a team that reflects those admirable characteristics.  We are going in the right direction.  Can it be sustained?   

As I stated on this board before, something is missing with this edition.  I could not put my finger on it earlier in the season.  However, as the year played out it became apparent one of their shortcomings was the lack of a "go to" player to complement Darius QUISENBERRY when the clock was winding down and a clutch basket was needed.  QUISENBERRY was successful in those situations last year and earlier this season.  As a result, teams prepared for him.  We had no alternative.  It cost us two, maybe three, games.                     

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 07:14:34 PM »
The Governor says no to indoor events and now the YSU game in the CIT is not having spectators.  Can someone explain to how this effects YSU financially. ?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »
The Governor says no to indoor events and now the YSU game in the CIT is not having spectators.  Can someone explain to how this effects YSU financially. ?
I just received notifications from Tressel that the spring break will be extended past next week. Students will not in class (no sure if they will be on campus).

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 08:22:52 PM »
Big time situation to monitor. Might not have the tournament at all.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:24:31 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 02:02:07 PM »
Big time situation to monitor. Might not have the tournament at all.

The CBI tournament has been cancelled.  As of 1 PM today, the CIT tournament is still on. 

Disappointing YSU finally qualifies for one of these tournaments and rewards the team & fans with a home game, then all this breaks loose.