Author Topic: YSU vs James Madison for the National Championship  (Read 91294 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs James Madison for the National Championship
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »
Does anyone know the 7 players suspended by JMU?  Do they compare to our 5 who were not only starters, but significant starters in most cases.  How about the depth of JMU compared to YSU to replace those suspended?  Also it appears that the YSU starters were suspended due to testing by the NCAA.  Any word on the JMU suspensions and their source of the suspensions.  I know that most of this is conjecture since all programs do not release names, let alone reasons and sources of suspensions.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2016, 04:32:29 PM »
They beat NDSU with their missing 7.  They lost a starting OL and their #2 receiver.  Theyou were able to beat NDSU without them.  Our losses are far more impactful.
Does anyone know the 7 players suspended by JMU?  Do they compare to our 5 who were not only starters, but significant starters in most cases.  How about the depth of JMU compared to YSU to replace those suspended?  Also it appears that the YSU starters were suspended due to testing by the NCAA.  Any word on the JMU suspensions and their source of the suspensions.  I know that most of this is conjecture since all programs do not release names, let alone reasons and sources of suspensions.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2016, 08:25:58 AM »
They beat NDSU with their missing 7.  They lost a starting OL and their #2 receiver.  Theyou were able to beat NDSU without them.  Our losses are far more impactful.
There's also another way to look at this. J.M.U. just got past Richmond in the regular season 47-43. Richmond goes to E.W.U. and gets SHUTOUT. This gives me reason to believe our offense should produce in a big way in the championship game. I'm not sure where I would rank the C.A.A. Overall in terms of strength, but I still have the Missouri and big Sky 1 and 2

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2016, 08:52:05 AM »
There's also another way to look at this. J.M.U. just got past Richmond in the regular season 47-43. Richmond goes to E.W.U. and gets SHUTOUT. This gives me reason to believe our offense should produce in a big way in the championship game. I'm not sure where I would rank the C.A.A. Overall in terms of strength, but I still have the Missouri and big Sky 1 and 2

Keep in mind that Everett Withers left Ohio State and recruited their athletes.  He couldn't put it together  (similar to Eric wolford) but Houston was able to get it together and they too have show dramatic improvement on the defensive side of the ball.  As a matter of fact, their defensive performance and our offensive performance have mirrored each other in the playoffs.  Richmond was not prepared for the cold weather and when thy got behind in the game they folded like a cheap suit. 
I like our chances, but we cannot make mistakes with this team and the safeties made huge mistakes during the Eastern Washington game.  2 of those mistakes cost us in touchdowns.  JMU presents a different challenge because they are more balanced.  I think this will be a tough game and we will need improvement.  We will need to shut down their run game and get to the QB.  Based on what I saw against NDSU it will be difficult to do, but I like our DL.  I think this one will be close, but it is difficult to Gage when we don't play anyone in the CAA.  I think the top of the CAA is just as good as the MVFC because they play better defense than the top of the Big Sky (Just my opinion) however, the MVFC is better top to bottom.  Bottom feeders of the CAA will not challenge the top teams whereas the bottom of the MVFC can beat the tophone on any given Saturday

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2016, 12:10:14 PM »
Comparing results of the Richmond game with JMU and EWU has very little value because Richmond by the start of the playoffs had endured ridiculous season-ending injuries to 11 starters including their stud quarterback.  They might have been healthy when they played JMU.

I fully expect JMU to be at full strength on their offensive line.  But if they must play without their tackle who was out against NDSU and without their center who was injured during the NDSU game, I like our chances at controlling the trenches. 

Our fate will probably rest with our offensive line.  These guys rolled up over 200 yards on the ground against at least three teams (UNI, Jacksonville State, Wofford) that were, at the time, giving up less than 100 rushing yards. 

Offline dirtydukes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »
Is it true that you guys are only bringing 1/4th of your team as well because your Athletic Department screwed up booking plane tickets?

JK, sorry, trying to get some chatter going over here.

It is true..that is all we will need.. ;D

GO GUINS

Haha, well played sir!

Offline dirtydukes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2016, 01:46:24 PM »
Comparing results of the Richmond game with JMU and EWU has very little value because Richmond by the start of the playoffs had endured ridiculous season-ending injuries to 11 starters including their stud quarterback.  They might have been healthy when they played JMU.

I fully expect JMU to be at full strength on their offensive line.  But if they must play without their tackle who was out against NDSU and without their center who was injured during the NDSU game, I like our chances at controlling the trenches. 

Our fate will probably rest with our offensive line.  These guys rolled up over 200 yards on the ground against at least three teams (UNI, Jacksonville State, Wofford) that were, at the time, giving up less than 100 rushing yards.

Yep, exactly that.  Also, for a team who has come on late I'd expect you all to realize that the Richmond game was a turning point for our team.  The results thereafter are a way better sample of who our team really is. 

Our DLine and LB corps held NDSU's run game in check, so I think we will be able to do the same to you all.  We're really lucky that if you stack the box our QB and WRs can make you pay and if you decide to cover the pass our RB and even QB if needed can move the chains on the ground. 

Even if we weren't at full strength on our OLine, is your DLine that much better than NDSU's?  Because even down our center and right tackle we were able to make big plays. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2016, 07:27:49 PM »

Yep, exactly that.  Also, for a team who has come on late I'd expect you all to realize that the Richmond game was a turning point for our team.  The results thereafter are a way better sample of who our team really is. 

Our DLine and LB corps held NDSU's run game in check, so I think we will be able to do the same to you all.  We're really lucky that if you stack the box our QB and WRs can make you pay and if you decide to cover the pass our RB and even QB if needed can move the chains on the ground. 

Even if we weren't at full strength on our OLine, is your DLine that much better than NDSU's?  Because even down our center and right tackle we were able to make big plays.

DL is better than NDSU, but LB play for NDSU is better imop.  We are just slightly less than NDSU in LB play, but we might be faster.  As you know, our secondary was outstanding bit has recently taken a hit with the suspensions as did our running game,receiving and special teams.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2016, 09:46:20 AM »

We don't stack the box and usually only rush 4. LB and DB attack on runs, but are susceptible to getting it thrown over their heads.

Offline dirtydukes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2016, 10:14:50 AM »

We don't stack the box and usually only rush 4. LB and DB attack on runs, but are susceptible to getting it thrown over their heads.

That's bad news for you guys then, as our team is excellent at throwing the deep ball.  Schor has so many different weapons to throw to as well.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2016, 10:17:39 AM »

That's bad news for you guys then, as our team is excellent at throwing the deep ball.  Schor has so many different weapons to throw to as well.

Eastern Washington thought the same.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »

Yeah thats what EWU said too.

Offline Duke Dawg

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2016, 12:13:52 PM »

Yeah thats what EWU said too.

well, they did put up 38 points on you.

we've given up more than 24 points 3 times this year.

to North Carolina.
to Richmond.
and to UNH when we led 42-10 going into the 4th quarter and they recovered some onside kicks and made the score look a lot more respectable than the game really was.

Offline Purple Reign

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2016, 02:24:18 PM »
 Looking at the game stats of YSU vs NDSU, YSU looked to have out played NDSU, BUT LOST 24-3. YSU was down 17-0 after the first quarter. Were turnovers the difference in the game?  YSU had five more first downs and 11:36 TOP advantage.Seven receivers caught passes. But only gained 92 yards on the ground while NDSU had 240 yards rushing.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2016, 02:31:21 PM »
Looking at the game stats of YSU vs NDSU, YSU looked to have out played NDSU, BUT LOST 24-3. YSU was down 17-0 after the first quarter. Were turnovers the difference in the game?  YSU had five more first downs and 11:36 TOP advantage.Seven receivers caught passes. But only gained 92 yards on the ground while NDSU had 240 yards rushing.

Yes.  Turnovers were a problem.  New Qb hadn't played or practiced all year.  He was going to transfer.  He was only making safe throws after he turned it over.  He is better now that he has had some games under his belt