Author Topic: vs. Sycamores ... in Game Thread  (Read 22533 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: vs. Sycamores ... in Game Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »
I am proud of the way the team responded and the defense carried the team. The offense even got ate critical time off the clock in the 4th. Way for the team to keep fighting and get the win. Now, lets hope we can get our offense going a little more and beat NDSU next week. If we do that, and SDSU loses any of their remaining games, we could have a shot at the MVFC championship.

I don't see us winning next week.  We are inept on offense.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 07:47:04 PM »
Hunter Wells looked rusty.  Play calling was bad.
Why do we run right all the time.   We run no screens.  No slants, very few quick outs.  We do not throw much to the Tight ends.  Offense too predictable.  HUGE CROWD.  Game was hard to watch. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:48:32 PM by YSU1 »

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »
It wasn't pretty.We won.Ill take it!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 09:36:40 PM »
I agree, the play calling does not help whoever is at QB. O-Line don't have the best feet so can't run a lot of screens. WR's have to do more. This team will be defense or die from here on out. Kennedy needs to get going on FG's. Can't be missing any more of those.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 09:49:24 PM »
Power, it will definitely be tough. I didn't say we would though, just we have destiny in our hands if we do.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 09:57:23 PM »
I agree, the play calling does not help whoever is at QB. O-Line don't have the best feet so can't run a lot of screens. WR's have to do more. This team will be defense or die from here on out. Kennedy needs to get going on FG's. Can't be missing any more of those.

We should be able to run WR screens though.  They should have good feet and be able to bloc since they don't catch very well. 

Maybe they should throw tennis balls at them in practice so when they see the giant football it will look large and in slow motion to them. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:17:11 PM by penguinpower »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 11:37:54 PM »
throw to the backs in the flats  so they can turn it up field.  the offense has to score touchdowns which will make the defense even better

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 08:09:17 AM »
Was it ugly..Yes..Conference wins are hard to come by and that was a good football team that we beat..I will take it. After watching the game it was pretty obvious on why they made the switch at quarterback. Two stats that stand out to me are the 150 yards rushing by Ruiz and the Zero sacks allowed. Bo for the most part seemed pretty happy with Wells in his press conference. Keep in mind this is a major change for this offense with a quarterback that really hasn't picked up a football for several weeks prior to this week..The touchdowns will come everyone needs to be patient

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 08:40:13 AM »
On the deep throws Wells ball placement was really good. It just seemed like they were running stride for stride with us all night and we couldn't get any separation..Did anyone notice the same?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 09:16:54 AM »
On the deep throws Wells ball placement was really good. It just seemed like they were running stride for stride with us all night and we couldn't get any separation..Did anyone notice the same?

Yes.....hence my comments around the garbage route running.  If our receivers have the speed, they should be able to get open.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 10:04:54 AM »
Yes. That seems to be the problem all season.
There were several good separations in the game when the running backs were out in the flat. Two of those, Wells threw the ball into the ground. Couple of them, Wells held the ball too long and the DB/LB made up the separations. We had minimum gains. The timing was off for the deep passes (both passes into in zone were off by couple of yards. Of course, couple wide open catches were dropped. I hope Wells can get the timing back with another week of practice with the first team offense. If we put Davis back in during the game with a few snaps, defense now has to worry about him throwing the ball which was not the case last year.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 10:26:06 AM »
Thirteen points was the least amount of points any team has put up on ISUb, and 7 of those were from special teams.  Butler, playing without a single scholarship, and now 4-5, scored 25 points in Terre Haute.  Butler had 245 yards passing, YSU 101.  Butler won TOP, we lost.

We will lose at the FargoDome.  We prolly will beat SIU and MSU, but I'm not confident in that.  The spread vs ISUb was 16.5, and we almost lost except for a chance punt return for a TD.  We'll prolly be selected for the playoffs, but not go past the second round.  We will squander a legendary defense that we will not likely see again for decades because of an incompetent OC.

I think most top D2 programs wouldn't take Wells, which likely factored into his deciding to play Saturday.  101 yards passing, 13/26, 2 INTs, zero TDS.  Why not start Mays and get at least the same results and groom a future QB? A concussed Ricky Davis had a much better performance last week versus a much more stout defense.

Monty will have cost us a trip to Frisco.  It's that simple.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:35:48 AM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
We have 3 more weeks to get the offense figured out. Peaking at the end of the season is exactly what we want. OK I'm probably too optimistic.

Do yourself a favor and don't compare our points scored this year with some other teams poised for playoff spots  :o :o :o :o  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 12:25:22 PM »
We have 3 more weeks to get the offense figured out. Peaking at the end of the season is exactly what we want. OK I'm probably too optimistic.

Do yourself a favor and don't compare our points scored this year with some other teams poised for playoff spots  :o :o :o :o  :-\ :-\ :-\

You can never be too optimistic, way too many negative nellies on this board.

Yesterday was a mixed emotion game for me, it was only the 5th home game I have missed since the stadium opened. But on the plus side, my last child was married, the wedding and reception were great, the weather was great, the guins won and the tribe won.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
Thank god for our 2 NFL caliber DE's.