Author Topic: MidMajorMadness coverage of the Horizon League  (Read 8877 times)

Offline Kyle321n

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
    • MidMajorMadness
MidMajorMadness coverage of the Horizon League
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
Hey there gang. This year I'm doing full time coverage of the Horizon League for MidMajorMadness over at SBNation. Last year I did the occasional article and wrote the conference tournement in full. You may also remember my sparkling preview from last season that picked you to finish sixth. Or you may remember my awesome preview this season that won't be fraught with errors come this time next season.

Anyway I didn't come just to get page views, which really don't help me, but I'm sure my editors like them. Starting on the 26th I'm going to be doing a mailbag segment where I'll be looking for Horizon League fans to ask me questions and I'll answer them. Why? Because I'll be watching way too much basketball and if I can't share my insight with others my wife will bear the brunt of all my inane thoughts.

I'll also come here and let you guys know when I have a YSU article up and going since I'm sure that's your main care. (Hint there's some coming next week).

So I hope you guys enjoy my writing, in spite of my Valpo fandom, and send in some questions for the mailbag.
Horizon League Coverage at MidMajorMadness
Tweeting infrequently at Kyle321n
Drinking beer at Untappd

Offline Kyle321n

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
    • MidMajorMadness
Re: MidMajorMadness coverage of the Horizon League
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »
Here is our weekly recap for this week plus the first 2 days of the season. http://www.midmajormadness.com/horizon-league/2014/11/23/7269415/horizon-league-basketball-weekly-recap

Also I'm looking for questions for our mailbag. Feel free to ask here or on Twitter with the hashtag of #HLMailbag
Drinking beer at Untappd

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
Hey Kyle,

How do you get a real D1 HC? :D
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Kyle321n

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
    • MidMajorMadness
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »
Hey Kyle,

How do you get a real D1 HC? :D

Heh, you're not a fan of Slocum I guess. Its probably something with his .388 win % and .311 in conference.

In my watching the conference I've only seen one good coach hired (Green Bay's Wardle who was in house and he's not b the "nicest" guy). Would you say Jerry is on the hot seat?
Drinking beer at Untappd

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:51:44 PM »
pretty much........plus he's rude as hell to the radio announcer, Rob Schmidt.

I think he feels pretty comfortable with job security.....for reasons I can not understand...maybe President Tressel will have higher (any) performance standards. Time will tell.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline WeAreYoungstown

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 06:08:50 AM »
He is way too comfortable here. The way he acts toward Rob Schmidt is embarrassing.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:37:34 AM »
pretty much........plus he's rude as hell to the radio announcer, Rob Schmidt.

I think he feels pretty comfortable with job security.....for reasons I can not understand...maybe President Tressel will have higher (any) performance standards. Time will tell.
He and Schmidt are buddies. Hence he doesn't hold back when they win or lose. I wouldn't call that being rude.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 08:56:21 AM »
In fairness to Slocum, the questions asked by Robb Schmidt are usually bone headed questions. As a coach, it would get old real fast hearing "coach, tough loss, kids played their hearts out, how are they feeling right now?". How the F#@$ do you think they are feeling?

Also, the Ytown media in general is not very knowledgable when it comes to basketball. There was an interview with Slocum where he admitted he is short and curt with the media. Said if he was asked actual basketball questions, he would stay in the press room much longer after games. He's a coach. "Moral victories" at this point are meaningless, especially at the D1 level. Same with being asked if the kids are hurting after a close lose. No, they are having a F@#$ing party?

Ask questions like "Coach, I noticed you took (insert baest player) out of the game with 4 fouls and 10 minutes left to play. Opponent then went on 10-12 point run and took the lead. What was your thinking in keeping(insert best player) out of the game so long?

"Coach, you decided to play zone, even though this is a very good shooting team from outside. What was the thinking process on using so much zone and so little man-to-man?"

"You did not get the ball much to (name on starting post player) much early in the game. I realize the teams strength is outside shooting and riving to the basket, but wouldn't trying to establish some type of inside threat early on have opened things up for the guards?"

"What was your thinking on no fouling when up 3, with 8 seconds left in the game"?

As far as replacing Slocum, well, I think alot of it comes down to money. YSU has not shown a TRUE commitment to having a quality team in the HL. And, a few years ago, Ron Strollo told me he was not going to make a change just for sake of change. He also said it did not help that then Pres, Cynthia Anderson rarely went to games, and members of BOT were pleased with the basketball program. Slocum is a very nice person, just has the kind of personality that does not show that in the media. I like him as a person(no we are not friends), respect all he has accomplished as an HC over his career, and do think it's time for a new HC. But, the most likely options are another HC from the D2, D3 or NAIA level, or a 2nd,3rd assistant from a decent program like Robic. A top assistant at a Top 50-75 program is highly unlikely to be interested in the HC job at YSU. In many cases, it would be a downgrade in pay, and if they stay in their current position a few more years, they could get an opportunity to be an HC at a school with a much higher chance of success

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 10:00:29 AM »
Good points Let's_Talk. I understand Slocum was quite the hit with the folks at ESPN. I think it had to do with the fact that they respected his coaching tenure and looked to coach as more of an expert. In other words, even though they are media, Slocum has been "in the trenches" for a long time. Also, coach is from NY/Philly area and still carries that attitude that is very prevalent there. I get the feeling that he is very open with the administration and this probably very-well received.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 10:25:06 AM »
Cute cartoon Valley.....did that make you feel clever?

Friends banter back and forth.....here Slocum insults Rob and Rob forces a fake chuckle.....I'd call it public humiliation except there aren't enough listeners to call it "public."

If YSU cannot afford a competitive coach, than YSU needs to consider a conference they can afford.  The OVC has a way lower conference RPI.  I know YSU succeeded in the Olympic sports in the Horizon, but to foresake MBB and be content with success in other sports is poor use of University resources.  You know...."Excellence in all things."

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
Slocum is horrible with the media, fans, etc. Time for him to get win #700 and then pack his bags also. Look what Barnes is doing with the ladies program in only 2 years! That's a real coach.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »
Cute cartoon Valley.....did that make you feel clever?

Friends banter back and forth.....here Slocum insults Rob and Rob forces a fake chuckle.....I'd call it public humiliation except there aren't enough listeners to call it "public."

If YSU cannot afford a competitive coach, than YSU needs to consider a conference they can afford.  The OVC has a way lower conference RPI.  I know YSU succeeded in the Olympic sports in the Horizon, but to foresake MBB and be content with success in other sports is poor use of University resources.  You know...."Excellence in all things."
Has nothing to do with feeling "clever." I've known Slocum since he started at YSU 9 or so years ago. After every home game, win or lose, I've heard his interviews with Schmidt. Schmidt is no dummy going into those interviews following losses. He knows coach is going to be fired up because he is a fiery coach. Don't believe me? Sit behind the bench during conference play and you will see it first hand.

If Schmidt was honestly offended, he would have let Coach know by now.

Offline Kyle321n

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
    • MidMajorMadness
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 04:26:55 PM »
Sit behind the bench during conference play and you will see it first hand.

But don't let small children sit behind him.

Oh and I can tell you first hand that he HATES the Valpo student section. Well it's a love hate relationship but he's one of the few coaches to come in and just glare at the student section.
Drinking beer at Untappd