Author Topic: FUTURE OF YSU FOOTBALL  (Read 7821 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
FUTURE OF YSU FOOTBALL
« on: October 13, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
 Yes, Saturday's loss was disappointing, but far too early to give up on the season.  We need to grind out 8 wins to make the playoffs.  If we don't then we begin the discussion on the future.

A few thoughts though, currently YSU is not in good shape financially, the faculty is considering a strike vote because of health care issues.   There have also been layoffs.    So, if we indeed decided at the end of the year to change coaches, can we really pay $250 thousand plus for a coach?   I would more like $150-200 at best.   I read in some other posts about Mark Snyder or Pat Narduzzi.   Both are coordinators at high profile programs, likely making at least a half million dollars a year, we have no shot to get either of them.

YSU would need to get lucky and higher an up and coming coach who has a desire to be a head coach, or former player now coaching who would want to coach here.   Pete Rekstis is one name I keep hearing.  He is the defensive coordinator at Rhode Island, a former defensive back for Jim Tressel and teammate of Ron Strollo.

He can't be making much money.  The problem with Rekstis is he was involved in a scandal at Florida Atlantic, not sure he would be the right hire.

I started attending YSU games in 1990, but I had a long time fan tell me at the game the other night that during the first few years of the Tressel era we were getting crowds of less than 5000 on a regular basis.  Now we have less population than 20 years ago, so the crowds we are getting are normal until we begin winning again on a consistent level, and that means making the playoffs.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:28:23 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: FUTURE OF YSU FOOTBALL
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »
Rekstis is a great choice. I have no issue with his past. He was a YSU coach under DC's Heacock, Snyder and I think 1-year with Dantonio. Probably not of a high-enough profile to walk right into a head-coaching job though. Would be a risky move for Strollo. Wolf has the resume.

I will also add in that Wolf's attitude is much better this whole spring and summer. Much more focused. So unless we continue to slide ...short of some type of rehire ...he is the HC. I support him.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »
Rekstis is the DC  for URI that has been blown out big time in scores on a winless season. That and the scandal make him untouchable.   Strollo is a poor AD but even he knows better than to touch this guy for a hire.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:37:02 PM by paladin »

ohiofootball

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
Pat Narduzzi makes $900K at Michigan State. He turned down the UCONN job this year...HE IS NOT COMING TO YSU!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
Agree with both Ohio and Paladin. Although, I think it will only be about another year before you can touch Rekstis. The offense was too minor for people to remember. The risk is what happens if a similar issue should happen here ...not necessarily involving him as a participant, but may require the HC to administer punishment on these things. People are going to say  it is "the pot calling the kettle black".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:56:33 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »
Pat Narduzzi makes $900K at Michigan State. He turned down the UCONN job this year...HE IS NOT COMING TO YSU!

Not only that, but he has no love affair with YSU. I am sure the harsh feelings have settled with the passing of time, but I do not think he would ever take a position here.

Offline JFootball2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 06:58:50 PM »
losing Montgomery after the season is going to be a major step in the right direction.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:47:29 PM »
Nick Siciliano or Stan Drayton

I see the job going to one of these 2

Offline JFootball2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »
Nick Siciliano or Stan Drayton

I see the job going to one of these 2

LOL to nick and cant afford Drayton

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 10:59:01 PM »
losing Montgomery after the season is going to be a major step in the right direction.

Offline JFootball2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 11:12:54 PM »
What a great second half offensive explosion  8) 8) 8) 8) another second half ass kicking

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 09:16:29 AM »
Need a W this week. Enough said.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!