Author Topic: Kendrick Perry to Orlando Magic  (Read 5017 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Kendrick Perry to Orlando Magic
« on: June 27, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »
KP tweeted out this morning he's headed to summer league with Orlando Magic! Great opportunity for the hometown kid! Best of luck KP!

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/jun/27/ysu-guard-perry-headed-orlando-magic/?nw

Lets_Talk

Re: Kendrick Perry to Orlando Magic
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:23:08 PM »
I watched Orlando -vs- Philly yesterday on NBATV. Orlando won. KP did not play. Orlando has 18 players on their Summer League roster. Victor Oladipo, the 2nd player selected in this years draft. Elfrid Payton, whowas the 10th player drafted in this years 1st round. Roy Devyn Marble, who played for Iowa, and was drafted in 2nd round by Orlando this year. Kim English, who was a 2nd round draft pick of Detroit in 2012. Played 4 years at Missouri. Has spent the last 2 seasons playing in the D-League and Europe. He is 6'6" and Oladipo is 6'4".
Seth Curry, brother of Stephen Curry(plays for Golden State). Curry spent this past season in the D-League. He was on the D-League All Rookie 1st team, and was 3rd team All D-League. He played at Duke, where he was 1st team all ACC in 2013 and 3rd team in 2012.

KP was one of NINE players that did not play for Orlando. This included Scott Suggs, who played in college at Washington and played this past season in the D-League with Erie. In 47 games, he averaged 18.5 points, 3.8 rebounds, 2.1 assists. Hard to see KP getting much PT given the talent Orlando has at guard. I hope KP gets a chance to play, but it appears he might caught up in a numbers game with Orlando?

For Philly, Travis Bader started. He definitely has the size and athleticism to play in the NBA at some point. But, he only made 1FG(had 3 points). Aaron Craft of OSU also played significant minutes. Like KP, he is very small. Craft scored 2 pts, and he played excellent defense on Oladipo. Do not see Craft in the NBA at any point. Might be able to play in D-League or overseas, given how hard he plays, being an excellent defender and solid at running the point.

Just checked the boxscore for today's Philly game. Bader started again. He had 13 pts(4-7 from field) and 4 assists. Orlando did not play today.

Eli Holmann, who played at Detroit, is on the Miami roster. Did not see him play yet, but he had 9 points in 8 minutes yesterday. Also had 4 rebounds.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:41:04 PM by Lets_Talk »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
Orlando played their 2nd game today. KP did not play. Nor did Oladipo. Thirteen of the 15 players who dressed played in this game. Teams are guaranteed at least 5 games, so still opportunity for KP to play. But, not looking good. On the positive side, he did dress for the game. Orlando had 18 players in uniform on Saturday, and only 15 today. Oladipo twisted his ankle in the game on Saturday, but boxscore says DNP Coach's Decision.

Does anyone know if he is hurt? Box score just says DNP Coach's Decision, but I'm wondering if he is trying to play through an injury, and maybe that is leading to the coaching staff not being impressed enough by KP in practice to put him in the game.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »
I think he's healthy. Magic play again tomorrow, if he's not playing tomorrow something is wrong

Lets_Talk

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:37:22 PM »
KP did not play again today. 10 players played in the game. Each team plays 5 games in Orlando Summer League. Hard to see KP playing in either of last 2 games. Again, to me, looks as if he got caught up in a numbers game with Orlando. Their Summer League team is loaded at the guard position. I wonder if Orlando was the only offer KP received? I ask this, because if he had other offers, I'd be interested to know the thought process of his agent.

I never expected KP to make an NBA roster this season. And, not sure he is good enough at PG to play in the NBA. But, I know he can play in the D-League, or be a quality player for a team in Europe. And, these Summer League games are an opportunity for players like KP to show what they can do against pro level competition. Hard to show what one can do if not getting into games. I still think KP will end up on either a team in the D-League or in Europe. But, would be nice for him to get an opportunity to show what he can do in this summer league.

Travis Bader has started both games Philly has played. He did not play well in the game I watched, but seems to have had a much better game in his 2nd game. And, he started in today's game, which i still in progress. At least he is getting an opportunity to show teams what he can and cannot do on the floor. Same is true for Eli Holman of Detroit. Played 9 minutes in game 1. Had 8 points and 4 rebounds. Only played 2 minutes yesterday. But, played 15 minutes today. Scored 10 points and had 9 rebounds. Was 3-6 from field and 4-4 at foul line. Not saying he will end up on Miami's roster, but like Bader he is getting an opportunity to play.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »
Another DNP today for KP. Does not look like he is going to get an opportunity to play for Orlando in any summer league games.  :(

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
KP finally played today! Had 8 points on 3-3 shooting, 2-2 from the line.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »
According to the team stat. He played 13 min with 2 offensive and 1 defense rebounds and 1 turn over. It also showed 5 personal fouls. Is it true that he has committed 5 fouls in 13 min for 1 game?

Lets_Talk

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 06:03:26 AM »
Double ET:
NBA.com shows KP with 5 fouls in the box score. Looking at play-by-play, KP got his 5th foul with 6:53 left in 4th quarter. Summer League games are 10 minute quarters.

Nice to see he finally got an opportunity to play, as it was the final game for the Orlando Summer League.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:25:15 AM »
Double ET:
NBA.com shows KP with 5 fouls in the box score. Looking at play-by-play, KP got his 5th foul with 6:53 left in 4th quarter. Summer League games are 10 minute quarters.

Nice to see he finally got an opportunity to play, as it was the final game for the Orlando Summer League.
How did he manage to commit 5 PF IN 13 min of play? I hope he at least makes to either the D league or the European league. I watched the first couple of the Magic summer league games where he did not play. However, he was on the bench. He was clearly the shortest player on the team.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:11:35 AM »
I think Europe is the route he should go... Would be a great experience for him!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »
In fairness to KP, I did not watch the game. Also, in Summer League, players are allowed 10 fouls before fouling out of the game. This is due in large part to Summer League having officials who are trying to become NBA officials.

With this being the only game he played in, and it being the last game of Orlando Summer League, KP may have been trying a bit too hard to show what he can do, especially on defense? And, that may have let to fouls for reaching in attempting to make a steal, and then get a breakaway dunk to wow those in attendance? Then again, could have just been really bad defense on his part. Hard to know without watching the game. All I know is he had 5 fouls, 1 of those being an offensive foul. I doubt the 5 fouls will do much at all to hurt KP in the eye's of interested teams, unless they came from him having to hold and grab to keep up with the speed of the game. Hard to imagine that being the case for KP.