Author Topic: YSU VS ISU  (Read 9537 times)

kforbs126

YSU VS ISU
« on: May 31, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
Watching todays game on ESPN3.  Scratching my head at the field.  WTF no dirt? 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU VS ISU
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »
Do you mean infield, or is that turf?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:34:07 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:58:53 PM »
Run production is down. I hope we can get one more inning out of O'Brian.

kforbs126

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »
Do you mean infield, or is that turf?

The infield is turf, mound is turf, everything is turf lol. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »
I'LL TAKE IT!!! We just won an NCAA Tournament game!!! I could not be more proud of these guys!!! Time to install turf at Eastwood!

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 05:13:48 PM »
Who was the person who was ignorant enough to say ISU was the best team in this region and all because the Big Ten is not good at baseball.  I was too lazy to state the obvious that well the Big Ten is not great at baseball but this team did go to Omaha last season and blew away the competition in the Big Ten.  Some people should really research before they post, but hey we are all guilty of being oblivious at times. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
Unbelievable turn of events.  Tremendous accomplishment.  Has any YSU team in any sport ever improved so dramatically in such a short span of time?  I hope we get Stanford tomorrow.  Their morale would be very low.

Now the field.  I never heard of any type of turf where you could slide safely.  Anybody know the details about this stuff?  Obviously, this is a very low priority but we actually have the space for a baseball field between Ford and Belmont.  Eastwood is nice but it is too far from campus and too far from the population center of the Mahoning Valley.  I wonder what it would cost to build an on-campus 1,500 seat little gem with that type of turf. 

IAA Fan, remember that the Indians don't want their rookies playing on any type of turf.  That is why we ultimately must follow our own destiny.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 09:02:15 PM »
I'LL TAKE IT!!! We just won an NCAA Tournament game!!! I could not be more proud of these guys!!! Time to install turf at Eastwood!

I know that it will not happen any time soon, but I would like us to eliminate another couple of blocks of blight and have a field on campus.

But about the game, I am so happy for them. It is one thing to make it in but to win a game means they belong.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 09:14:19 PM »
Congratulations Guin baseballers, seems like most of us have been waiting for something like this most of our lives.  The Penguins to get a win in a major NCAA tournament is fantastic..  Hope the give Indiana all they can handle tomorrow and then some!  Someday soon, hopefully we'll be talking about the basketball team in the NCAA's.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 09:29:40 PM »
That was me Hoops. ISU is the best team in this region. Look at their schedule:

Wins over UCOnn
3-0 against Ohio State
Beat Lipscomb
Swept Wimington
MVC regular season champs (a much better conference than the big-10)
went 1-1 against Indiana
Beat Purdue
2-1 against Dallas-Baptist (a top-5 club at the time and still top-20).
They had an RPI of 21 & beat 4 top-25 teams to garnish an at-large berth. How could you say anything but this was the best team in the bracket? Granted I did not think they were as strong as usual, but come on ...no one would have been shocked if they beat Indiana again and they were favored over Stanford.  I will admit they were not hitting well, but this is an unbelievable win.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:25:09 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »
Great win for the team. We are now in the field of 48. Believe or not, we are still in when Kent has been eliminated. We will play Stanford tomorrow. Does anybody know if we beat Stanford, do we have to beat Indiana twice in order to win the regional?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 10:31:32 PM »
Double,

Yes, Indiana captured the winner's bracket and awaits the YSU-Stanford survivor tomorrow evening.  That is why I wanted Stanford to lose today.  They realize that, once they dispose of us, they still must beat Indiana twice or their season is over.  Their morale will be low while we can just have fun with absolutely no pressure.  Of course, Stanford still has better baseball players than we do.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 11:28:33 PM »
Wick, Thanks.

If we were to beat Stanford, we would be in the field of 24. That probably will be highest achievement for any YSU teams in a NCAA tournament (I believe the ladies' basketball won a game in NCAA tournament which put them in the field of 32).

kforbs126

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 12:43:04 AM »
Unbelievable turn of events.  Tremendous accomplishment.  Has any YSU team in any sport ever improved so dramatically in such a short span of time?  I hope we get Stanford tomorrow.  Their morale would be very low.

Now the field.  I never heard of any type of turf where you could slide safely.  Anybody know the details about this stuff?  Obviously, this is a very low priority but we actually have the space for a baseball field between Ford and Belmont.  Eastwood is nice but it is too far from campus and too far from the population center of the Mahoning Valley.  I wonder what it would cost to build an on-campus 1,500 seat little gem with that type of turf. 

IAA Fan, remember that the Indians don't want their rookies playing on any type of turf.  That is why we ultimately must follow our own destiny.

I played softball all my life through college.  I'll tell you this there is no way I'd want to slide on turf all the time.  Your legs would be torn up.  That's the first field I've ever seen like that.

Anyways congrats Guins.  I was happy I got to watch it on ESPN3.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »
Tremendous win, couldn't be prouder of the guys.

Good group of kids, always fun to talk with them at the tailgate lot.