Author Topic: 2014 YSU Football is it me or should we be worried about our Football future?  (Read 7884 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I reviewed our roster today..read every players bio...looked at what we have returning?   What was clearly evident was how bad our Defense is and for being an undersized D...they didnt play very fast....200lb LB 's are nt going to cut it in D 1 football unless we have the Clydesdales in the trenches...we got manhandled by the Dakota's...I am concerned about the offense as well ..nothing scares me at WR..I think Nate Adams is our best option...there but who else?   I see at most a 6 win season...that is counting the 3 bullsh** games we have in September....am I hitting the panic button too soon....I just dont see us closing the gap...to being a top dog in the conference.
A Penguin for life!!!

ValleyTalk

I reviewed our roster today..read every players bio...looked at what we have returning?   What was clearly evident was how bad our Defense is and for being an undersized D...they didnt play very fast....200lb LB 's are nt going to cut it in D 1 football unless we have the Clydesdales in the trenches...we got manhandled by the Dakota's...I am concerned about the offense as well ..nothing scares me at WR..I think Nate Adams is our best option...there but who else?   I see at most a 6 win season...that is counting the 3 bullsh** games we have in September....am I hitting the panic button too soon....I just dont see us closing the gap...to being a top dog in the conference.
We haven't played a game yet. I felt like we had more question marks last year and we did quite alright. Hope the new DC can do more with less like he did last year on special teams.

I will reserve judgement until August. Remember, we have arguably the best freshmen in the FCS coming back in Martin Ruiz and we have a nice array of backs to compliment him.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
I advised  during the season to enjoy it because I saw a drop to a 6 win season and said so. Also warned that injuries could easily make for a losing season.

1. YSU has NO QB with abilities to replace the 4 yr. starter

2. 4 of 5 OL starters are gone. The cupboard ain't bare but its young, untested and not well stocked

3. The D was awful and has problems on the DL, the LB now have lost the starting MLB and the secondary is thin. The new DC will have a new system, doesn't have much depth to work with and has players who were pushed around at will.

4. Spring ball will be a time to get to  know the players better and try to develop the underclassmen. Will the coaches look to new systems to match player abilities or keep it the same and risk failure with lots of new starters, young & inexperienced ?

5.I look for depending more on a ground game and less on a pass game. The QB had better make good decisions and not try to make plays. He , whoever that maybe, needs to play within himself and not makes errors and mistakes. If not a losing record is in the cards.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Also warned that injuries could easily make for a losing season.
Injuries can turn any teams season, but hurts a team like YSU more due to inexperience and depth.

2. 4 of 5 OL starters are gone. The cupboard ain't bare but its young, untested and not well stocked

I believe that YSU had the opportunity to get experience for other players, especially knowing what we would be losing with seniors.

3. The D was awful and has problems on the DL, the LB now have lost the starting MLB and the secondary is thin. The new DC will have a new system, doesn't have much depth to work with and has players who were pushed around at will.

No arguments, but question if some of the problem with the D-line was our scheme.  LB's played well off the line of scrimmage and most often dropped into pass coverage.  That makes for a 4 on 7 match up on the line.  Tough odds to overcome.

4. Spring ball will be a time to get to  know the players better and try to develop the underclassmen. Will the coaches look to new systems to match player abilities or keep it the same and risk failure with lots of new starters, young & inexperienced ?

I thought the coaches stated they were implementing a new system on D.

5.I look for depending more on a ground game and less on a pass game. The QB had better make good decisions and not try to make plays. He , whoever that maybe, needs to play within himself and not makes errors and mistakes. If not a losing record is in the cards.

I thought we had the talent to have an exceptional ground game last year and wondered why we didn't utilize it more, especially in the games where Kurt was playing on a bad ankle.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I advised  during the season to enjoy it because I saw a drop to a 6 win season and said so. Also warned that injuries could easily make for a losing season.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I won't go so far as to say the QB's don't have abilities...we got too little look at who we have. I can't slam these guys based on what they did against NDSU that's a tall task for anyone. We have some options but it will be interesting to see if they plug this QB into the system Hess ran or if they develop a system to play to the new QB's strengths. Or do they simply run Ruiz 30+ times a game?

I think those who wanted a run-heavy offense will get their wish this year.

The defense is in shambles...not much returning, new coordinator, leading tackler gone. Great chance for guys to stake their claim to starting spots but do we have enough good players to make a difference. We all saw those last games and how outclassed we were. I don't think the shortcomings were adequately addressed so far....risky counting on transfers at this point but we better hope for a couple.

Don't underestimate the loss of Liste. He won field position for us almost every game.

This will be a good test for the coaching staff. I can tell you one thing for sure, there will be less margin of error for the constant clock management, delay of game, illegal participation and wasted time out issues. Great way to lose games.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Don't underestimate the loss of Liste. He won field position for us almost every game.

Could not be a more true statement said (or typed) Happy.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSUGO,

I share your concerns.  I just don't see how we can compete by sending the same defensive linemen back onto the field this fall.  All hope centers now on Bryant.  Two things that I like: Bryant certainly improved the special teams last season.  More importantly, he was the defensive coordinator at Vanderbilt where he faced a severe talent shortage going up against the elite powers in the SEC.  Perhaps he can work miracles with our defense.  But I fear that the talent level is so bad that no coach can form an effective unit.

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
With an inexperienced offensive line, it seems the best policy would be to run the ball.  With talented backs and young O-lineman getting them off the ball and on the other team is the best option.  But with the new run and gun style in football, i dont think YSU is built for that.  Alot of the burden is going to fall on the QB, can they handle it?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Time for the young guys to step up

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
You do not win with youth against 4 & 5 yr. Seniors.  Best face the facts -- YSU isn't loaded. They have much youth, inexperience and no QB with playing time & limited ability  . This is a rebuilding year for both O & D. They are building from the ground   up.  3 weenie games are wins. After that, it gets dicey real quick.

And, no playoffs.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Well we couldn't win with Mr. Hess and the vets so might as well put the kids out and go from there.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Zordich coming in is huge!

His football schemes / relationship with Stoops will get the back 7 playing exponentially better.

He and Stoops... class dudes. Know the game.