Author Topic: MBB at Detroit  (Read 8702 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MBB at Detroit
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 09:18:33 PM »
The Vindicator would defend their lack of YSU basketball coverage by suggesting that very few people in the Mahoning Valley care.  True enough.  But that same paper offers extensive coverage of high school basketball, a horrible product that most people definitely don't care about.  We have a weird problem with media coverage that is opposite that of many of our Horizon League partners.  The media in cities with professional sports (Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee) ignore mid-major programs.  We get ignored because our print and television media is obsessed with high school sports.  How else can you explain full-scale accounts of girls high school basketball games!  That is the "local" space that could and should be allotted to us.  Ridiculous.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
Wick, I agree 100%. I think it is great how much coverage high school sports gets in Ytown/Warren. When I lived in Cleveland and Pittsburgh, they were covered, but the pro teams came first, and in Pittsburgh then came Pitt. I now live in Las Vegas, and high school sports get very little coverage, and the support is nothing close to what high school sports gets in NE Ohio and SW Penn.

With that said, coverage of UNLV here is very good. Even the football team, which just had it's first winning season since 2000. And, it ought to be that way, as UNLV is a D1 college sports program, in a city with no professional sports teams.

I may get some flack from people, but I do not think the Vindicator has EVER given YSU the respect it deserves, with the possible exception of when Tress was coaching football. And, this goes for the ENTIRE paper. YSU is a solid school, and it is mind numbing to think what Ytown/Warren would be like without YSU. But, The Vindy seems to take pride and pleasure in tearing down YSU at any chance. I guess it plays into the mindset of many in the area that if something is in Ytown/Warren, then it must be inferior?

The tv and radio stations do not get a pass either. It has only been in recent times that YSU takes precendenc over OSU on 570WKBN. I understand OSU has a huge following all over Ohio, but it is sad when the hometown DI sports teams get put on the weaker radio stations. I may have rambled, and if I did I apologize. Just do not understand why The Vindicator does not have a special section in the online site specifically for YSU? Even if they had an intern do most of the work, at least ther would be a place to go to for indepth coverage of ALL sports at YSU.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »
ray,

I agree with the comments about the media. And, I remember a few years ago seeing an interview with Slocum. It was in regards to why his post game pressers are often quite short. His answer was he rarely gets asked questions about basketball. Said he would stay there much longer if being asked questions about strategy and things specific to basketball. But, to many of the questions are asking if the team is hurting after a loss, asking if yet another close game got away, and other nonsense.

Slocum also said the local media when he coached at Gannon was light years(my words) ahead of Ytown/Warren media, and that was for an NCAA D2 program. Wish I could find a link to the interview.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 09:44:47 PM »
Wick, I agree 100%. I think it is great how much coverage high school sports gets in Ytown/Warren. When I lived in Cleveland and Pittsburgh, they were covered, but the pro teams came first, and in Pittsburgh then came Pitt. I now live in Las Vegas, and high school sports get very little coverage, and the support is nothing close to what high school sports gets in NE Ohio and SW Penn.

With that said, coverage of UNLV here is very good. Even the football team, which just had it's first winning season since 2000. And, it ought to be that way, as UNLV is a D1 college sports program, in a city with no professional sports teams.

I may get some flack from people, but I do not think the Vindicator has EVER given YSU the respect it deserves, with the possible exception of when Tress was coaching football. And, this goes for the ENTIRE paper. YSU is a solid school, and it is mind numbing to think what Ytown/Warren would be like without YSU. But, The Vindy seems to take pride and pleasure in tearing down YSU at any chance. I guess it plays into the mindset of many in the area that if something is in Ytown/Warren, then it must be inferior?

The tv and radio stations do not get a pass either. It has only been in recent times that YSU takes precendenc over OSU on 570WKBN. I understand OSU has a huge following all over Ohio, but it is sad when the hometown DI sports teams get put on the weaker radio stations. I may have rambled, and if I did I apologize. Just do not understand why The Vindicator does not have a special section in the online site specifically for YSU? Even if they had an intern do most of the work, at least ther would be a place to go to for indepth coverage of ALL sports at YSU.

Don't think you rambled, but even if you did no apology needed.  Everything you said is accurate.

For the Vindy to not send a beat writer on road games with YSU basketball is bad. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »

Don't think you rambled, but even if you did no apology needed.  Everything you said is accurate.

For the Vindy to not send a beat writer on road games with YSU basketball is bad.

Because it costs money to do that!!! God forbid they do their jobs

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »

and the only reason that happened is because ESPN radio wanted OSU. They just flipped. WKBN is no longer the power in ytown sports. Although I would give them the edge in local sport. Really "grinds my gears" as well.