Author Topic: Minnesota QB Philip Nelson to transfer  (Read 8062 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Minnesota QB Philip Nelson to transfer
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:25:08 AM »
If you think we need a QB, here is a good one. It all depends on what he means by running? If he means the QB running as much as passing, then he will work out. However, if he means the offense rushing as much as passing ...then we do not need him here. We should always be a run-first offense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/minnesota-qb-philip-nelson-transfer-225936352--ncaaf.html

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The Minnesota Golden Gophers' quarterback competition just got a little less crowded.

Sophomore Philip Nelson announced on Thursday that he intends to transfer, a surprising development for a player who played in 11 games last season and was once viewed as a promising building block for coach Jerry Kill's program.

''I am looking to play in a system that centers more around the pass game which utilizes my skill sets,'' Nelson said in a statement first released to KFXN-FM in Minneapolis. ''I am excited to go out and meet with programs that match up with my talents.''

Nelson completed 50.5 percent of his passes for 1,306 yards with nine touchdowns and six interceptions last season. He also rushed for 364 yards and six touchdowns while sharing quarterback duties with Mitch Leidner.

But it appears Kill's offensive philosophy that features a quarterback that runs nearly as often as he passes didn't appeal to Nelson, a native of Mankato. His departure opens the door for Leidner and freshman Chris Streveler to battle for the starting job.

Leidner played in eight games last season as Kill shuffled both players in and out while dealing with injuries and mixing up the looks from game to game. Leidner threw for 205 yards and two touchdowns in the Texas Bowl loss to Syracuse while Nelson struggled. Nelson went 2 for 7 for 18 yards and his frustration was evident during and after the game.
Play Bowl Pick'em!

''Philip is a terrific young man, and I wish him all the best as he continues his education and football career elsewhere,'' Kill said in a statement issued by the school. ''I want to thank Philip for the contributions he made to our football program both on and off the field, and I will do anything I can to help him both now and in the future.''

It wasn't immediately clear where Nelson would end up. If Nelson transfers to another Big Ten school, he would lose a year of eligibility. Another option would be Minnesota State-Mankato, which has emerged as a Division-II power in the last two years and is located in Nelson's hometown.

''I want to thank Coach Kill for the opportunity to play football at the University of Minnesota,'' Nelson said. ''I have the utmost respect for Coach Kill and what he's done for this program. I also want to reach out to all the great Minnesota fans that supported the football program and say thank you. Your effort makes a difference.''

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Minnesota QB Philip Nelson to transfer
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
"Another option would be Minnesota-Mankato..."

I know it's his hometown and everything, but it's hard to imagine that he would drop a division when he could play right away in 1aa.

I think the kid just doesn't want to run the ball himself. I don't think he minds handing it off his fair share

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 11:39:53 PM »
Highly doubtful

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »
I wouldn't be too terribly surprised to see him playing in the Ice Castle, just maybe not for us.

kforbs126

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »
Easily would go to one of the dakota schools over us since he's from Minnesota.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
Easily would go to one of the dakota schools over us since he's from Minnesota.
Yeah I could see that. Sounds like he'd be a good fit there. May not be as good as what they already have I think NDSU is significantly better than Minnie

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 12:50:38 PM »
The Gophers would crush NDSU next season.  Gophers return a solid core of talent on offense, and losing Nelson just opens the door for Mitch Liedner to take a majority of the snaps...who I've been more impressed with of the two. 

Gophers will be a top half Big Ten team next season.  Remember, this young team over achieved this season beating Nebraska, Penn State and went toe-to-toe with Wisconsin and Michigan State.  Gophers are in way better shape than NDSU in coming years. 

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
The Gophers would crush NDSU next season.  Gophers return a solid core of talent on offense, and losing Nelson just opens the door for Mitch Liedner to take a majority of the snaps...who I've been more impressed with of the two. 

Gophers will be a top half Big Ten team next season.  Remember, this young team over achieved this season beating Nebraska, Penn State and went toe-to-toe with Wisconsin and Michigan State.  Gophers are in way better shape than NDSU in coming years.
I sure hope you're right my friend.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »
Transferring to Rutgers per Bruce Feldman of CBS Sports.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »

Ok you're kidding.  NDSU has physically punished gophers the last 2 meetings, gophers AD and Jerry kill both said "thank god we are done playing NDSU ".  NDSU still returns 7 defensive starters...5 of them 4 year starters..

PS NDSU qb commit Easton stick turned down Rutgers full ride last month....btw
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:35:32 PM by lakesbison »