Author Topic: Women's Basketball Commit (2014) - Krista Pietropola Plum HS (PA)  (Read 8305 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Twitter reports that 5-11 wing Krista Pietropola of Plum High School near Pittsburgh has committed to YSU.

@jdbbeck 13h
Plum Sr. basketball standout Krista Pietropola @KristaP23 has committed to Youngstown State

Highlight video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGoBFPkS3Io

And older analysis from ESPN

USJN Nationals-July 2011: Long, lanky wing guard with a nice outside shot. Defends the perimeter.

Averaged 17.5 as a sophomore, 16.8 as a junior.  Near 1,000 career points, should become school's all-time leading scorer this season.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Women's Basketball Commit (2014) - Krista Pietropola Plum HS (PA)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 12:16:03 PM »
Solid

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »
The good news continues to roll in.  This is Barnes' second recruit from Tressel's "State of Youngstown."  Looks like he is serious about restoring regional recruiting.  Looking at the film, she is definitely a legitimate 5'11" with ball-handling skills and the ability to run the court.  Kind of like a Green Bay player; ain't nothing wrong with that.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
Kind of like a Green Bay player; ain't nothing wrong with that.

+1

Spiderlegs

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
Quite a coup for Barnes. I knew he was aggressive, but this exceeds my expectations for him.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »
When I have seen West Branch in the past, they played like UWGB too. He is molding his team to the style we will play. I think he has a vision for being here longer than Boldon.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
Liking this guy more and more

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »
Welcome home Krista!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »
From Twitter, only other Division I offer was UMBC (Maryland Baltimore County).

Interest, but no offfers, from Cornell, Bucknell, St Francis (PA), Robert Morris, Rider, Mount St. Mary's and our friend at Ohio University.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 05:47:42 PM »
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

By Michael Love

Published: Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Updated 21 hours ago

Krista Pietropola often is at LA Fitness in Monroeville working out to stay in shape and keep her basketball skills sharp.
She also is in the middle of preparations for the Plum varsity girls basketball team's 2013-14 season through open-gym workouts, weight-training sessions and preseason tournaments.
Pietropola has eyes on helping the Mustangs fare well in section play and return to the WPIAL playoffs.
A great deal of talent returns from last year's squad that went 9-3 in Section 2-AAAA, finished 17-6 overall and qualified for the postseason.
Pietropola also has eyes on her future when her time at Plum is completed.
She recently gave a verbal commitment to continue her education and basketball pursuits at Division I Youngstown State University.
“It's always been my dream to go Division I,” she said.
“There were other schools that I loved, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. Youngstown State fit everything I wanted in a school.”
She is expected to make her decision final during the early signing period for basketball next month.
Pietropola, who looked at other schools in Division I such as Bucknell, Rider, Cornell, Robert Morris and St. Francis (Pa.), as well as Shippensburg and Slippery Rock in Division II, said finding a good fit for her major of physical therapy was a top priority before continuing with a school on the basketball side of things.
Pietropola said she is excited to see what she can do with the Penguins under new head coach John Barnes, who most recently served as the associate head coach at Green Bay.
The Phoenix won the Horizon League regular-season and tournament titles, finished 29-2 and suffered a tough NCAA Tournament first-round loss to LSU.
Barnes also has coached in the Big Ten at Michigan.
“(Coach Barnes) has great experience with Division I basketball,” Pietropola said.
“They run a trap-style defense which I think will fit me very well. I am long for a guard. I think that is why he started to recruit me, because I fit the defense so well.”
Youngstown State finished 23-10 last year, and it was the program's best record since the 1999-2000 season.
The team finished second in the Horizon League regular season, advanced to the semifinals of the conference tournament and went 1-1 in the Women's NIT.
Pietropola is the second Plum senior to make a verbal commitment to a Division I school.
In the spring, softball standout Jordan Seneca announced she would play in college at St. Francis (Pa.).
Also, Ronit Yurovsky has made a big impact in tennis at Division I Michigan, and Mustangs soccer senior forward Aaliyah Odom also has garnered attention from a couple of Division I schools.
“The younger athletes (at Plum) see that there is an opportunity (to go Division I), and it pushes them more,” Pietropola said.
“That's nice to see.”
Pietropola said she couldn't have gotten to where she is without a strong support system of family, friends, teammates and coaches.
Pietropola and Seneca are two parts of a Plum girls basketball team that has big hopes and goals for the upcoming season.
Official preseason practices begin Nov. 18.
“I am so excited for the season. We can go as far as we want to go if we put in the hard work,” Pietropola said.
“We've been working very hard this fall with open gyms and tournaments. We played really well in a tournament this past weekend, so we're on the right track.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/hssports/basketball/4925858-74/pietropola-division-basketball#ixzz2ig84XPiJ
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook