Author Topic: New name for FCS  (Read 4955 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
New name for FCS
« on: April 05, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »
This brings up another topic, maybe we should break it out. Obviously FCS/FBS was a bust. All of those idiot AD's and HC's that listened to Harbaugh and the other one from Montana have finally realized that they were "dooped" by the NCAA into taking the "DI" off of the division moniker. So it has to change. The talk I am hearing is that they are going right back to to IA vs I-AA. Others are saying they want the NCAA to give them something different to identify the division. What are some thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:09:12 AM by IAA Fan »

Lets_Talk

Re: New name for FCS
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:43 AM »
Here is my idea, but I doubt it will happen. For FOOTBALL only, go back to 1A and 1AA. And, since there are so many schools switching conferences, have what is now FBS/1A determine a set number of schools that will play at that level. The growing trend with the BCS Conferences is moving to 12-14 teams. Also, the non AQ Mountain West will be at 12 schools for football starting this fall, with the addition of Utah State and San Jose State. Hawaii is a member for football only, and the WAC will no longer have football starting this season. Not really sure if the Big East is deserving any more of being deemed a "BCS" Conference?

I think a good number might be 100-105 schools in this division? Go with the current BCS Conferences and Notre Dame, plus MWC and CUSA. Then take the best teams from the MAC and Sun Belt(although many Sun Belt teams are now moving to C-USA), and create a football only conference. BYU and ND can remain Independents. And, due to tradition, also keep Army and Navy in 1A.

The schools that do not make the cut, drop down to 1AA.

This would make 1AA a much higher quality of football. It gets rid of the perennial bottom feeders in 1A, that lose large sums of money. This solution would likely require the formation of at least 1-2 football only conferences in 1A. Could be a combination of schools from MAC, C-USA and a few from The Sun Belt.

Then, go back to 1A and 1AA for the names.

There are currently 124 teams in 1A/FBS, with GSU, Appy State and maybe a few more set to join. The vast majority of these schools have little shot at playing in a BCS Bowl, the soon to be FBS/1A playoffs or one of the remaining prominent bowl games?

Any thoughts on this idea?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:47:46 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
Here is my idea, but I doubt it will happen. For FOOTBALL only, go back to 1A and 1AA. And, since there are so many schools switching conferences, have what is now FBS/1A determine a set number of schools that will play at that level. The growing trend with the BCS Conferences is moving to 12-14 teams. Also, the non AQ Mountain West will be at 12 schools for football starting this fall, with the addition of Utah State and San Jose State. Hawaii is a member for football only, and the WAC will no longer have football starting this season. Not really sure if the Big East is deserving any more of being deemed a "BCS" Conference?

I think a good number might be 100-105 schools in this division? Go with the current BCS Conferences and Notre Dame, plus MWC and CUSA. Then take the best teams from the MAC and Sun Belt(although many Sun Belt teams are now moving to C-USA), and create a football only conference. BYU and ND can remain Independents. And, due to tradition, also keep Army and Navy in 1A.

The schools that do not make the cut, drop down to 1AA.

This would make 1AA a much higher quality of football. It gets rid of the perennial bottom feeders in 1A, that lose large sums of money. This solution would likely require the formation of at least 1-2 football only conferences in 1A. Could be a combination of schools from MAC, C-USA and a few from The Sun Belt.

Then, go back to 1A and 1AA for the names.

There are currently 124 teams in 1A/FBS, with GSU, Appy State and maybe a few more set to join. The vast majority of these schools have little shot at playing in a BCS Bowl, the soon to be FBS/1A playoffs or one of the remaining prominent bowl games?

Any thoughts on this idea?

I like the idea.  Thanks Paladin.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »
Let's Talk is an old friend of ours, but he is not Paladin.  I enjoyed our many spirited debates about women's basketball years ago.

To the topic at hand, I foresee even more drastic revisions than those outlined in this plan.  Big Time football will consist of the "chosen" 64, four conferences with 16 members each.  The playoff system will consist of the four conference championship games in December, followed by the four survivors battling in two bowl games on New Year's Day, followed by the "national championship" game a week later.  Everybody else now in FBS football will be totally irrelevant.  Any school jumping to FBS football now is spending much money for absolutely nothing.  All non-64ers will be back together with us, by default, within five to ten years.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 03:17:48 PM »
I believe that when the dust settles in 4 to 5 years, the top division will consist of 5 conferences (BIG, SEC, ACC, PAC-12, BIG-12), and each conference will have either 14 or 16 teams in it.  The next division will consist of the weaker BCS conferences (AAC, MAC, C-USA, etc.) plus the stronger FCS conferences (MVFC, BIG SKY, CAA, etc).  The remainder will either make up a third division, or move down to D2.

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
I hope you guys are right. It seems like our division is set to eventually become a mid-major/1-aa hybrid or a 1-aa/DII hybrid. If things shape out right (big if), we could have the best of both worlds with a national championship and division rivals like Akron

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 12:31:56 PM »
Change the name to Division 1 Spring and play in the Spring.   No competition and you could play Thursday thru Monday Night.   There are lots of new national sports channels that need programing.

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »
4LESS I love that idea!!!!.....but that is only because I hate baseball   ;D

GOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »
Change the name to Division 1 Spring and play in the Spring.   No competition and you could play Thursday thru Monday Night.   There are lots of new national sports channels that need programing.

Love It!!!

Wish I would have thought of that.. fb :) ;)