Author Topic: Vindicator Story: _ Penguins defenders are struggling again  (Read 10178 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Vindicator Story: _ Penguins defenders are struggling again
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:01:05 AM »
Penguins defenders are struggling again

Youngstown State?s defensive issues boil down to this: the Jimmys and the Joes need to do a better job with the X?s and the O?s.
Source: Penguins defenders are struggling again

Stories are brought to you by ysupenguins.com

Youngstown State’s defensive issues boil down to this: the Jimmys and the Joes need to do a better job with the X’s and the O’s.

After upgrading the athleticism in the offseason, YSU’s coaches have grown frustrated with a group of defenders that seem to grasp the scheme in the classroom, then immediately forget it during key moments of the game.

“We have got to do a better job retaining information,” Youngstown State coach Eric Wolford said Tuesday. “There are simple plays or concepts that we teach and they’ve been taught going back to spring ball.

“If you don’t retain that information or execute ... maybe you can verbalize it back to me, but if I don’t see it in your play, I think you have to look at yourself in a mirror as a player ... and do a little bit of soul-searching.”

One of those concepts could be as simple as a defensive back or linebacker knowing he has the outside leverage on a pass play, with the nickelback taking the inside leverage, Wolford said.

The defense also has struggled with situational awareness — it has different assignments on third-and-3 than it does on third-and-13, but doesn’t always seem to play that way — and an overall lack of focus.

“You have to get them to realize ... [their] lack of focus is costing this football team,” Wolford said. “At what point as a coach do we say, ‘Hey, this guy is verbalizing it back to me and yet he’s not doing it on the field’?

“At what point do we make a change? And, do you have the ability to make a change?”

YSU has started the same four defensive backs in every game (safeties Jeremey Edwards and Donald D’Alesio and cornerbacks Julius Childs and Dale Peterman) as well as the same Will linebacker (Dom Rich) and defensive tackle (Aronde Stanton).

There have been some minor lineup changes with the other five positions but, for the most part, YSU’s coaches have stayed with the same group.

Wolford said that sophomore LB Dubem Nwadiogbu had season-ending ACL surgery, which further limits the coaches’ flexibility. (Because he didn’t play against Valparaiso, Nwadiogbu is eligible to take a medical redshirt.)

After opening the season with solid games against Pitt and Valparaiso, YSU’s defense has gone from bad to worse over its last three games, giving up an average of 36 points and 385 yards against Albany, Northern Iowa and North Dakota State while forcing just one turnover over that stretch.

Those numbers are worse than last year’s, when the Penguins gave up 352 yards and 26 points per game en route to a 6-5 record.

Still, when asked if this year’s defense is better than last year’s, Wolford said yes.

“I think we’re better,” he said. “I definitely feel much better about where we are at corner. I feel good about our [linebackers]. And I think our defensive line just needed to be motivated a little bit.

“I have all the confidence that [defensive line] Coach [Tom] Sims has those guys’ attention right now.”
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:37:37 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vindicator Story: _ Penguins defenders are struggling again
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »
Thanks Dan for putting this here!!

It's all the defenses fault the offense turns the ball over 3 times, 4 punts, 2 failed 4th down conversions and the special teams give up a deflating punt return so lets publish an article calling out the defense and the kids playing on that side of the ball!

What a BS story this is!! Tells me the coaching staff needs to dumb it down a little! This isn't UCLA anymore Joe! Defense isn't rocket science stop the run, stop the pass get the QB.  For an article to call out players by name and a coach (head) to chime in on it is just appalling to me.

After opening the season with solid games against Pitt and Valparaiso, YSU’s defense has gone from bad to worse over its last three games, giving up an average of 36 points and 385 yards against Albany, Northern Iowa and North Dakota State while forcing just one turnover over that stretch.

^^  :o ^^ No sh**!! last I checked these coaches make adjustments and are smarter than what we have for a coaching staff.  And oh by the way they are ranked in the top 25 of the FCS!

This still baffles me why no one is calling out the offense for the 7 point preformance last week. All these great numbers they've racked up the last 3 years have been against lesser out manned competition.. excluding UNI and Pitt this year and UND last year >:(
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:40:30 AM by ysubigred »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »
I also feel we need to slow it down. We are over-pursuing constantly. Against a Valpo, we can make a second attempt and catch up with the missed tackle, but against quality opposition ... this is not happening ...they will be 10+ yards away before we get turned-around. While I applaud the speed of our players, and the attitude and effort to bring the man down the first time.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »
I also feel we need to slow it down. We are over-pursuing constantly. Against a Valpo, we can make a second attempt and catch up with the missed tackle, but against quality opposition ... this is not happening ...they will be 10+ yards away before we get turned-around. While I applaud the speed of our players, and the attitude and effort to bring the man down the first time.

I see what you're saying, but I'm guessing that they (kids on defense) are being hammered on the lack of  turn over's and it appears to me the defense is tackling the ball and not wrapping up. Last time I checked games are won without creating a turn over...just do your job and the turn over's will come  >:( You can't use Valpo as any kind of example/comparison. Great O numbers ~ pitch a shutout ='s out manned and out coached by the Guins vs Valpo.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:04:44 AM by ysubigred »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:12:23 PM »

I see what you're saying, but I'm guessing that they (kids on defense) are being hammered on the lack of  turn over's and it appears to me the defense is tackling the ball and not wrapping up. Last time I checked games are won without creating a turn over...just do your job and the turn over's will come  >:( You can't use Valpo as any kind of example/comparison. Great O numbers ~ pitch a shutout ='s out manned and out coached by the Guins vs Valpo.

The problem is that you can't count on the offense to bail your ass out of every game situation.  the defense has to force TO's and get timely stops.  Coach Wolord even said that we had NDSU in 3rd in long several times and allowed them to convert due to mental errors.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »

The problem is that you can't count on the offense to bail your ass out of every game situation.  the defense has to force TO's and get timely stops.  Coach Wolord even said that we had NDSU in 3rd in long several times and allowed them to convert due to mental errors.

Bail them out?? They need to show up before they can bail anybody out. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »

Yes the Offense bails the defense out every week.  40 points is needed to win. Lol!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »

Yes the Offense bails the defense out every week.  40 points is needed to win. Lol!

No the Defense keeps teams from scoring more points then the Offense can score each week LOL!!  ::)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:23:27 PM »

No the Defense keeps teams from scoring more points then the Offense can score each week LOL!!  ::)

Look I understand your point.  Scalzo may have shown his lack of maturity with his statement about specific players, but I can't honeslty say that he was off base.  This is a team sport and in order for us to win we need to play good offense, good defense, and good special teams.  The reality is that we may not be playing as well in one of theses areas any given week, but the history has been that the defense has not held up their end.  They have not done an adequate job getting off the field and they have not picked up the slack when the other two areas are struggling (offense and special teams).  The offense was not able to move the ball well against NDSU but the defense could not get the ball back to the offense.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:25:56 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »
 Thanks for mentioning special team Power. After all, we are giving up lots of field position, which is placing even more pressure on the defense.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »

Look I understand your point.  Scalzo may have shown his lack of maturity with his statement about specific players, but I can't honeslty say that he was off base.  This is a team sport and in order for us to win we need to play good offense, good defense, and good special teams.  The reality is that we may not be playing as well in one of theses areas any given week, but the history has been that the defense has not held up their end.  They have not done an adequate job getting off the field and they have not picked up the slack when the other two areas are struggling (offense and special teams).  The offense was not able to move the ball well against NDSU but the defense could not get the ball back to the offense.
  ???

Let's see 3 punts + 3 turn over's + 2 failed 4th down conversions + 2 end of half's= 70 possible missed point opportunities/10 possissions by the offense.  So we take away the pick 6/7 and the 7 for the punt return that = 34 given up by the defense. 

So the bottom line: "IF" this offense is so great (as you "O" hommers think) they should have scored 77 right?  The Offense had 11 chances to score and was 1 for 11. The Defense sucks so bad and gave up 34 right? The Defense force two punts and two field goals out of the 10 possessions NDSU had, 2 of the 10 possessions were a pick 6 and a punt return for TD's. So NDSU could have scored 70.  :o
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:16:33 PM by ysubigred »

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 08:04:07 PM »
Ironic....guys that regularly call out player's performances by name on a website under user names are upset that a sports writer using his real name did the same thing in a very sparsley read paper? Hmmmm

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »
Whoever recruited these LBs should be fired.  If it's Wolford then he should be fired.  They are bad.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »
Ironic....guys that regularly call out player's performances by name on a website under user names are upset that a sports writer using his real name did the same thing in a very sparsley read paper? Hmmmm

I call them out but this board is a small community and if you don't like what you read, then go elsewhere.  I don't have a problem with it, however, it is not "politically correct" and it is considered a place you shouldn't go.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:00:41 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 08:31:13 AM »
I believe some of you have misinterpreted Joe's article.  He named the players that have started every game, but he didn't call them out or put the blame on them.