Author Topic: In Game thread  (Read 15105 times)

Offline TheBearMay

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: In Game thread
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 11:00:36 PM »
I usually just read and keep my mouth shut, but all this whimpering and whining has got to go. >:(  One bad game and everyone is talking about scrapping the entire season and changing coaches and players.  Thought this was a football town - feel like I'm back in Pittsburgh listening to their fans.   Don't get me wrong, this game was embarrassing, but let's man up, get back behind the team and the coaches, and hope the team is ready for next week.  There's definitely some work that needs to be done, but one game, this early in the season, doesn't make or break you. Should be an interesting week of practice.
Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.

Offline WelcomeToYoungstown

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »
Sometimes you people are nuts. They're really good, and we picked the wrong day to suck. Everything is still on the table. Hess stinks... Did you see the first four games? He was UNREAL against Northern Iowa. Fire Wolford for Montgomery... Really?

On the D... Obviously North Dakota's was better. But, we gave up 48 points. 14 were on short fields, 7 were on a pick 6, and 7 were on a punt return.

Next week is a huge game. Have to respond and get to 5-1.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »
You are right Lecter ...but remember that many of these posters are young. YSU was known for decades, as the Syracuse of I-AA, as we had the best LB's at our level. I am so tired of announcers sounding so stunned at just how bad our D is, and saying the obvious week after week. I am tired of every team returning anything that does not do out of the end-zone ...there is absolutely no respect for us. Worse ...we do not deserve any. The media cannot give anyone a pass on this game. I turned 50-years old today, and what did I get? A 48-7 loss with the NDSU "scrubs" in by half time & the opposing coach trying to contain himself & make excuses for us. Heck Robert Morris gave them a better game than we did.

+ 1 MILLION
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »
I know what Bear and Welcome are saying and I agree 100% :)

However, whoever is in charge of recruiting and COACHING the LBs has done a very poor to mediocre job.

If we can't get pressure with our DL , which apparently is the case,(although they pushed the pocket decently early) WE HAVE TO GET pressure when we blitz.

We don't.   How many sacks or legit pressures do all of you remember thus far?? I'm backing off my original assessment of the DBs and blaming lack of a pass rush.  Well that and horrible tackling.

Waiting for Big Red to come on and stick up for the "D".  That should be interesting. :P

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »

However, whoever is in charge of recruiting and COACHING the LBs has done a very poor to mediocre job.

If we can't get pressure with our DL , which apparently is the case,(although they pushed the pocket decently early) WE HAVE TO GET pressure when we blitz.

We don't.   How many sacks or legit pressures do all of you remember thus far?? I'm backing off my original assessment of the DBs and blaming lack of a pass rush.  Well that and horrible tackling.

Waiting for Big Red to come on and stick up for the "D".  That should be interesting. :P

Here I am!! Looks like we could use some help with the O line recruiting :) If we had an O line to protect the erratic QB when pressured, and the fumble fingered RB then maybe the turn over's would not have happened and the momentum could have swung our way. Just think "IF" the "D" did pitch a shutout we'd still lost 14-7 because the offense was offensive LOL!! Give it a break already!! The whole team stunk it up Saturday. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:58:54 AM by ysubigred »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
Agreed Red, but the D and kick coverage has been "sucking it up" for a long time. No one said the O did not have issues ..it is just that they cannot afford to, as the D does not "have their backs".

In fact in your other post you brought up another good point. The assignment-based offense is really what caused that INT return for 100-yards. There really is no defensive posturing. Although the missed tackle was embarrassing. I do not think Hess was spooked more than one  or 2 plays ...but the result was so bad that he over-compensated the remainder of the game. I really would have liked to see him on the bench for a series (at least one), to get a view and help calm him. He needs to read his receivers.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

Here I am!! Looks like we could use some help with the O line recruiting :) If we had an O line to protect the erratic QB when pressured, and the fumble fingered RB then maybe the turn over's would not have happened and the momentum could have swung our way. Just think "IF" the "D" did pitch a shutout we'd still lost 14-7 because the offense was offensive LOL!! Give it a break already!! The whole team stunk it up Saturday.

That's funny Red.  I actually think this might be the best OL at YSU since the Hogg/Kollar days.  You gotta do something about your LBs :'(   They are so bad right now.  See i threw that "right now" in there?  Coach these MFers UP! :P

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
Agreed Red, but the D and kick coverage has been "sucking it up" for a long time. No one said the O did not have issues ..it is just that they cannot afford to, as the D does not "have their backs".

In fact in your other post you brought up another good point. The assignment-based offense is really what caused that INT return for 100-yards. There really is no defensive posturing. Although the missed tackle was embarrassing. I do not think Hess was spooked more than one  or 2 plays ...but the result was so bad that he over-compensated the remainder of the game. I really would have liked to see him on the bench for a series (at least one), to get a view and help calm him. He needs to read his receivers.

Well if you want my honest opinion; There is no reason to pass the ball until someone can stop the YSU running game.  We all know the defense is weak so the best defense is a slow and methodical offense in this case to keep the other teams "D" on the field.  EVEN I'll Admit (Lecter) the YSU defense is a bunch of sissy's!! I've seen bigger hits at pop Warner games then these guys bring.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:12:27 AM by ysubigred »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

That's funny Red.  I actually think this might be the best OL at YSU since the Hogg/Kollar days.  You gotta do something about your LBs :'(   They are so bad right now.  See i threw that "right now" in there?  Coach these MFers UP! :P

^^ That's what I was thinking also.  NDSU was knocking the "O" line backwards and really making them look like they had some bad foot work. Believe me YSU has a bunch of great kids on the team but Saturday they left their football skills in the rooms at the Radisson.  We'll see what they are made of this week.  I'm hoping for a complete game like the Pittsburgh game from all aspects of the YSU team.

Side note: I'm not much of a coach, but I do have some eligibility left if my arthritis will permit it LOL!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:29:27 AM by ysubigred »

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 01:29:48 PM »

Well if you want my honest opinion; There is no reason to pass the ball until someone can stop the YSU running game.  We all know the defense is weak so the best defense is a slow and methodical offense in this case to keep the other teams "D" on the field.  EVEN I'll Admit (Lecter) the YSU defense is a bunch of sissy's!! I've seen bigger hits at pop Warner games then these guys bring.

Let's not forge that the DB made an NFL type play on that pick!  It was so sweet.  He deked Hess out.  Revis-like play on his part.