Author Topic: NDSU v YSU Lets get it on !!  (Read 35448 times)

Offline Dracula

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU v YSU Lets get it on !!
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
Old- school YSU....Is that anything like Old Time Hockey ? Where are the Hanson Brothers when you need them ?

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »
Old- school YSU....Is that anything like Old Time Hockey ? Where are the Hanson Brothers when you need them ?
If they can kick the ball into the end zone sign them up.

Offline Dracula

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
Amen

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 11:01:39 AM »
NDSU has opened as a 10 point favorite.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
If they can kick the ball into the end zone sign them up.

In a dome there is no reason a scholarship kicker can't do it.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »

???  seems like a large spread  ??? Usually =7 for home field but 10  :o

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »

???  seems like a large spread  ??? Usually =7 for home field but 10  :o

Agreed.

Offline tjbison

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2012, 02:38:16 PM »

I don't agree, considering the last few games have been decided by 8 points in total

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2012, 08:02:45 PM »
i bet on sports every week.

homefield = 3 points.   always has, always will.

so yes, I see NDSU as a 7 point favorite, plus the 3 homefield.

tickets are freakin crazy, $100/each on craigslist,  3500 students on a waiting list.   gonna be CRAZY!!

bloody marys at tailgate start at 8 am saturday and the RUMMY bears will be handed out.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 12:55:55 PM »
Fargo paper YSU pre-game story

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/376456/group/Sports/

FARGO – Hardly a day goes by at the Youngstown State football offices when Eric Wolford doesn’t walk by four national championship trophies. It’s a reminder of what the expectations are for his program.

And when the Penguins went 11-3 and reached the semifinals of the Division

I-AA playoffs in 2006, it appeared the school was heading back to the 1990s when it won the four titles and finished runner-up twice.

But three successive mediocre seasons including a 4-8 mark in 2008 spelled the end of head coach Jon Heacock. The low point, said athletic director Ron Strollo, is when the Penguins had to start a freshman quarterback who was a receiver in high school.

Not only had the talent level fallen, so did the stature of the program within the community.

“The coaching change gave us an opportunity to do a self-assessment,” Strollo said. “It was easy to see that we hadn’t invested in the program like a lot of people had across the country.”

A bigger investment included bringing a veteran Division I Football Bowl Subdivision assistant like Wolford, who came from the University of South Carolina. It allowed him to hire better assistant coaches. On the facility front, the school built the Watson and Tressel indoor practice facility.

“We hired a coach to drive that train,” Strollo said.

The train makes a stop at Gate City Bank Field at the Fargodome on Saturday afternoon to play North Dakota State in a battle of two of the tops teams in the Football Championship Subdivision. After four unbeaten games, the Penguins are back in the national spotlight.

The blueprint Wolford drafted looks similar to the one NDSU took.

“Their coach is from Nebraska and I played at Kansas State when he was coaching there,” Wolford said, referring to NDSU head coach Craig Bohl. “We probably have a lot of the same beliefs as far as not taking any shortcuts in building a program. My thought process was some guys have only one chance to be a head coach and you better do it correct right away.”

The Bison went 3-8 in 2009, but one strong recruiting class bolstered the Bison to an FCS playoff berth in 2010 and a national title last season.

Wolford practically cut more players than he kept when he came on board in 2010 and the result was also a 3-8 season. But the Penguins were on the brink of a playoff berth last year before being upset by Missouri State in the last game of the season and finished 6-5.

“I don’t think you can deviate from discipline and doing things right, especially in that first year,” Wolford said. “You lay your blue print down and hold kids accountable. And if you do that, if you don’t worry about the wins and losses that first year and you just worry about getting better, I think it will bode well for the future.”

This year got off to a bang with a decisive win over FBS team the University of Pittsburgh in the season opener.

“I’ve been a part of a lot of rebuilding projects and have been a part of some successful ones and ones that haven’t been successful,” Wolford said.

So far, this one has been successful.

“I think rejuvenated is the right word,” Strollo said. “But we’re not there yet.”

Four trophies are a reminder of that.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
Early money on YSU---line down to 8

Offline YGUINSNO1

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »
Go Guins!! ;)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »
I really did not like the tone of the article ...especially from a competitive paper. This crap had to have come from inside our program. To discuss a former coach shows "no class". Strollo mentioned the lack of $$ in the program. Perhaps that should have happened many years ago, and we would have had more success earlier? The facilities were planned long ago. Perhaps they should realize that our top players are coach H's players ...as they have been over the last few years. Perhaps many players quit, as opposed to being "cut"? Many of us remember watching a YSU defense average an NCAA record 8.4 points per game over an entire season ...with coach H standing on the sidelines as DC. (Your last season playing was just a year prior Mr. Strollo, so you should know). Perhaps if we had coach H, we would not have such a poor defense & special teams? Perhaps the best coach on this current team is not the head coach? So how long are we going to have to hear about what a bad team coach W took over? Move on and correct your issues coach W. Bad topic of conversation and I apologize ...but feel some things need said. That paper should have not been given such garbage to write about Mr. Strollo ...and I am sorry I had to say this on game day. So as the thread title says "Let's Get it On!!"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:25:56 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
The game was mentioned about 10 min in on ESPN College Gameday.  Corso picked NDSU (he has no clue who they are) & Desmond Howard picked YSU, because he said he's from Ohio

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
ESPN GAMEDAY PICKS:
Lee: NDSU
Kirk: YSU
Desmond: YSU

Z