Author Topic: Albany  (Read 27127 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Albany
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:28:03 AM »
They may enter the top 25 in the AGS poll after the weekend the CAA had.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:36:36 AM by penguinpower »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Albany
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:30:05 AM »
From Their Fan Board:

I hope they think we're like Valparaiso. YSU leads 49-0 with three minutes left in the first half. 2nd string QB already in.

Posted ImagePosted Image

This post has been edited by UAalum72: Yesterday, 04:34 PM

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »
Cannot take Albany lightly.  They have a solid win over Colgate and made the playoffs last year.  They are probably better than W. Illinois and Missouri St from the MVFC.  They have a good QB.   I expect a good 1st half but we take over and win 40-20.   18k fans would be nice to see in the stands.  Go Guins!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
Agreed.  We better not take Albany or anybody else lightly.  They are a good team from a weak conference.  However, they have played quality full scholarship teams before so they will not be intimidated in Stambaugh stadium.  This will be a good test for our defense before that brutal stretch of games against UNI, NDSU, and Illinois State.  I actually hope that Albany can expose our flaws and weaknesses so that we can apply the corrections before conference play.  As Pride suggested, I don't expect that Albany can stand up against our offense for four quarters.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
Should be a great game. YSU need's to make a statement here.  We've already lost the luster of the Pitt win since they looked aweful in Cincy  ::)  The Valpo "W" Didn't help with the power rankings either.

Here's what Sagarin has to say:

Not sure how GoSouthern keep's their respectability ???

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

After week 2:

1. North Dakota State (55)
2. Georgia Southern (78)
3. Northern Iowa (81)
4. Youngstown State (84)
5. Eastern Washington (87)
6. James Madison (88)
7. Illinois State (93)
8. Old Dominion (95)
9. Wofford (106)
10. Sam Houston State (109)
11. Lehigh (112)
12. Cal Poly SLO (113)
13. Northern Arizona (114)
14. Delaware (115)
15. Montana (116)
16. Harvard (117)
17. William & Mary (118)
18. Montana State (119)
19. The Citadel (120)
20. Appalachian State (121)
21. Central Arkansas (124)
22. Bethune-Cookman (125)
23. McNeese State (127)
24. Richmond (128)
25. Lafayette (129)

Offline Ruler

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
TO THE PENGUIN FAITHFUL: I am a former player @ UAlbany and a current fan. I will give you some insight to our program and a little background.

UA is coached by Bob Ford who is the active leader in D1 in wins with 260(I think) He has put over 100 coaches in the college (has over 12 coaches at the FCS & FBS level...Chuck Priore at Stony Brook, Pete Lembo @ I forget , and Dave Clawson at Ball State as well as Dave Campo Dallas Cowboys, Lou Anarumo Miami Dolphins as well as a coach with the NY Giants. He is a "Bobby Bowdon" type as he has been coaching for a million years all at Albany. Very well known and respected in the coaching ranks. A sure HOF coach when he is done.

We are in our last year in the NEC and will be in the CAA next season as a fiully funded program at 63 rides along with Stony Brook. Currently we give out 40 so we will not have much depth and that will hurt us in the 4th qtr against your team!! But our starting 22 are outstanding athletes. I think it would be safe to assume 3 or 4 of our players(Jon Morgan LB...Every NFL team has been in to scout him) could be starters for the Penguins.

I assure you we will not be Valpo!!! Take that that to the bank. We have defeated Delaware, Towson, Lehigh, Maine, Colgate, Stony Brook and a few others. We played very well and I am sure we scared New Hampshire, UMASS, Georgia Southern(should of beaten them), Florida Atlantic, Florida International, and Montana (Lost 35-24). Ford's motto is we will play anyone at any location. They will be anything but intimidated. They will expect to win when they get off the bus. Because we are thin with scholarships I do not think we will have enough to win but I expect a very good game.

WHAT TO EXPECT:  Albany is a physically big team. Big O Line and a very big Tail Back...Andrew Smith is a 6'3 225lbs  runner. Albany likes to run right at you in between the tackles and wear you down. Has a very good running game and have a great core of recievers. A young qb that is learning on the job but doing well. Albany players bleed purple and would line up against Alabama if Ford scheduled them. You will get everything they have as that is what our coach and his staff demand of us. That may not be enough to beat YSU but you will get tested. Albany right now is probably on par with a mid to upper tier CAA team.

Hope this helps

Ruler

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
Ruler,

Thanks for the information.  We won four national titles during the 90s with very strong defenses.  But defense has been an issue the past two years, and we are desperately trying to improve it.  Sounds like your power running game will provide us with an excellent test and barometer on our progress.  We did force Pittsburgh to throw more often than they wanted, and we would certainly like to force your young qb into a similar situation.

On the other hand, this is the best offense in YSU history.  It features probably the best FCS offensive line in the country, an outstanding junior qb who started as a freshman, multiple talents at running back, receiver, and tight end.  Power, speed, depth...it has the whole package.  If you can contain this offense, you will breeze through the NEC and send a big message to the CAA.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
Just an FYI; Albany is # 32 in Sagarins

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »
A few more penguin tidbits on Albany:  They continue to be the top offense in their conference.  This year their run/pass make-up is 65/35 to the run.  Starting QB is completing 72% of his passes.  More information at their link below:

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewContent.dbml?&KEY=AFWRVOELAXNRJZJ.20120910144944&DB_OEM_ID=15800&CONTENT_ID=228743

Z

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 04:08:25 PM »
Albany is not a team to overlook but I still think we win this game easily

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 05:47:33 AM »
Albany is a dangerous team.  I think it will be close, but we are going to have to bring our A game and use our depth.  Their starters are just as good as any excellent team in the FCS.  Look at how dangerous we were last year without that depth.  This is a trap game for us, the kids need to remain focused and take care of business and not let them hang around.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 08:16:41 AM »
Sagarin has us as only a 12.5 point favorite.

Offline clickclack

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Albany is not a team to overlook but I still think we win this game easily

Another Albany fan here...

- I'm inclined to agree with you. Our QB is very green and has two starts under his belt. While he is certainly talented and has gotten off to a GREAT start, this is the kind of game I see him really struggling in, atmosphere, road game, better defense then what he's seen so far. There is no substitute for experience and he doesn't have it yet. If there were ever a game for him to take it on the chin in...this will be it. Granted, he's very good so perhaps he pulls some magic out of his ass...

- Our depth is a significant issue against teams like YSU...that is we don't have any. Our starters can play with most teams at this level but due to the limited number of scholarships we hand out there is limited depth. Even if we keep it close in the first half, we'll probably get worn down in the second half, we simply don't have the depth. Not yet at least until the we move to full scholarship CAA and start to ramp up. BTW, just in time to move into our new $23 million stadium...

- This team won't quit...Bob Fords teams don't quit, we've beaten some really good top tier FCS competition over the years with limited scholarships and same lack of depth...I don't think we'll win but you'll get our best shot...hopefully everyone stays healthy and UA can make it competitive.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »
Any Albany fans making the trip?

Offline UAalum72

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »
I'll be there, having told my bride we could spend a day in Finger Lakes wine country to split the travel over two days.

Won't be the first time we've gone a long way to probably see Albany get pounded, but we thought that the first time we went to Delaware, too.

Pedwin, mascot of the Peds (Pedagogues) of the NY State College for Teachers, 1949-1965