Author Topic: ...and Now for the Rest of the Season  (Read 5362 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
...and Now for the Rest of the Season
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »
Okay:

I am as happy as everyone else, and saw some really good things Saturday night. However, we cannot just assume all-is-well. Anyone that watched the game knows what issues we had. So what do you feel needs to be addressed with this year's version of the Mighty Guins? Remember this is only the first game. Here are my thoughts:

This team is extremely similar to last season's version ...the most notable exception is that we made adjustments on defense. We made them early and often.

Now ...some specifics:

Defense: We are again subject to being burnt by those short crossing passes over the middle. The first play of the game, was about a 60-yard gain for Pitt. Secondary is good against a IA(FBS) team, but will again have problems against opponents at out level ...especially in-conference play. Allow me to explain.

It is hard for a coach/QB to adjust to the lower-level of play from IA to I-AA. So when we have close zone coverage, or man coverage with in 3-5  yards ...a IA QB moves to  the next assignment ...it does not matter that we do not have the talent ...they are not going to test us. At our level, QB's (though they should not do so) will still throw the ball & test us. It is more the lack of football IQ than anything else. Simply put, a IA QB thinks our secondary is as good as those he faces all season. Better lines cannot excuse the LB's and secondary.

We tackle exceptionally-well this year ...so exciting to watch.

Special teams: We still need to work on coverage. We squibed all of the kicks but one, and that resulted in a return from inside the end-zone out to almost the 40. That new rule of bringing the ball out to the 25 is going to have to be repealed. Legs were all solid & speed is better than ever on the coverage teams.

Offense: Did not see Bellamy in Saturday ...has me worried. Pace is a new back when he has a line. Of course the addition of Wildcat Stubbs is just incredible. We have the best set of TE's in the conference. Hess had ball-control issues. However, it never stopped raining so that is hard to gauge. He could not bring-down those long-passes to wide opened receivers. No spiral on the ball.  However, Hess is throwing much better over the middle this year ...best he has ever been, and against some pretty tall Pitt players. It is like we increased our passing options by about 1/3. WR depth is noticeably better.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:52:49 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: ...and Now for the Rest of the Season
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »
i dont think we "squibed" any kicks, all but 2 were touchbacks i believe, you rarley if ever see squibkicks go fo touchbacks

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:29:54 PM »
Okay:

I am as happy as everyone else, and saw some really good things Saturday night. However, we cannot just assume all-is-well. Anyone that watched the game knows what issues we had. So what do you feel needs to be addressed with this year's version of the Mighty Guins? Remember this is only the first game. Here are my thoughts:

This team is extremely similar to last season's version ...the most notable exception is that we made adjustments on defense. We made them early and often.

Now ...some specifics:

Defense: We are again subject to being burnt by those short crossing passes over the middle. The first play of the game, was about a 60-yard gain for Pitt. Secondary is good against a IA(FBS) team, but will again have problems against opponents at out level ...especially in-conference play. Allow me to explain.

It is hard for a coach/QB to adjust to the lower-level of play from IA to I-AA. So when we have close zone coverage, or man coverage with in 3-5  yards ...a IA QB moves to  the next assignment ...it does not matter that we do not have the talent ...they are not going to test us. At our level, QB's (though they should not do so) will still throw the ball & test us. It is more the lack of football IQ than anything else. Simply put, a IA QB thinks our secondary is as good as those he faces all season. Better lines cannot excuse the LB's and secondary.

We tackle exceptionally-well this year ...so exciting to watch.
Special teams: We still need to work on coverage. We squibed all of the kicks but one, and that resulted in a return from inside the end-zone out to almost the 40. That new rule of bringing the ball out to the 25 is going to have to be repealed. Legs were all solid & speed is better than ever on the coverage teams.

Offense: Did not see Bellamy in Saturday ...has me worried. Pace is a new back when he has a line. Of course the addition of Wildcat Stubbs is just incredible. We have the best set of TE's in the conference. Hess had ball-control issues. However, it never stopped raining so that is hard to gauge. He could not bring-down those long-passes to wide opened receivers. No spiral on the ball.  However, Hess is throwing much better over the middle this year ...best he has ever been, and against some pretty tall Pitt players. It is like we increased our passing options by about 1/3. WR depth is noticeably better.

??? I'd say.... and I hope this don't come off to be negitive "BUT" the game I watched showed "if" some of the YSU team members would have attended a few tackeling clinics Pitt would have been held under 250 yards  ;)  I'd like to see the yards after catches and 1st contact stats? The "D" did look much better this year and I agree the adjustments were outstanding. The offense is a monster!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »
Let's not forget, some of those snaps were all over ..then again it never stopped raining. So again ...hard to say. I think much of it was the Pitt nose guard though.

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
Some clear breakdowns in coverage too. We got lucky on a few missed passes and that one to the TE early where he fell after the catch (although they scored that drive anyway so it would not have affected the score). No question there were issues, but it was the first game. I'm also wondering about Bellamy. Some tough games coming up in a few weeks. Can't wait! Exciting times!

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Nolcox would have been great to have this year to cover TEs,  6'5 LB with 4.4 speed is hard to come by