Author Topic: Basketball recruiting target - 6-4 G Jonathan Octeus Wabash Valley CC  (Read 19286 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Rivals is reporting YSU has offerred 6-4 guard Jonathan Octeus of Wabash Valley CC (IL).  Shows a YSU visit  and "high" interest from the player.  Florida native.

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_player.cfm?sid=4&collegeid=1585&category=Roster&slid=2&teamid=122720&athleteid=348256

Not sure what happened at Garden City CC

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/highschoolbuzz/tag/jon-octeus/

Wabash finished 8th in the National Juco tournament - Octeus had 18 in the 7th place game
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:45:39 AM by ysuindy »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball recruiting target - 6-4 G Jonathan Octeus Wabash Valley CC
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
Great another guard, just what we need.... Not lol

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:05:54 PM »
Yep! That's going to help us right back to the Horizon League basement.  Don't tell me there are no JC big men to pick up the can play inside and give us half a chance to compete in this league.  Every year the same thing we're recruiting a 6'4 or 6'2 guard.

Offline MentorViking

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 01:17:50 AM »
how long is it going to take people to figure out that 7 footers who arent talented enough to play anywere but YSU dont grow on tree's? honestly.  according to scout only 12 kids in their database measured 6'10 or taller, the worst school any of them is going to is Houston.

6'10 kids or taller just dont end up at schools at YSU for 2 reasons

1-we suck and have a history of suck
2-alot of bigger more talented schools give them the scholarship just to take the chance that the kid is actually decent

YSU aint bringing in no big time recruits without a NC apperance, just how the world will forever work

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »
Great another guard, just what we need.... Not lol

OK - I'm game - who are your starting guards next year based off those returning and the two incoming freshmen?  Who is your first guard off the bench? 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »
Obiously Blake and KP start next year, Amiker could start at the 3 so DJ Cole would be 1st off the bench i'm guessing. I'm not saying i don't want this kid, just saying not exactly what we need. We just need to find a big. Eargle is not enough

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »
You're telling me we can't find a 6-9 , or 6-10 JC player somewhere to play here. Bull!   Then don't complain when we end up back at the bottom of the league, and everyone in the league is jumping over our 6-7 forwards for lay-up after lay-up, and inside put backs.  Slocum is just not aggressively seeking them.  You tell me how Valpo, Wright and Green Bay end up with them year after year.  We can only hope Larson and Chojnacki get their act together soon.  Yea! I know our program is down, but don't tell me we can't find be men.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »
Don't say Slocum hasn't been actively seeking big men when you have absoultely no idea what's going on. He's been told no. A lot.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »
I know what I see we are offering, and I see no one over 6'7"on the recruiting tread..  That's a pretty good indication to me.  Hell, Valpo gets guys from overseas constantly. 

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
     I do not agree that our program is down after watching this past year's performance.  We had a winning record.  We had a winning record against the Horizon League, which ranked twelfth of thirty-three Division I conferences in the county.  We beat every team in the Horizon League with the exception of Butler.  We had a Sagarin rating in the upper 48th percentile of Division I.  We played an exciting brand of running, quickness oriented ball which was admired throughout the Horizon League.  We had a teriffic guard who will be returning for two more years and a good inside man whose major fault is he is two inches too short and twenty-five pounds too light. 

On the subtler side we may have two good recruits committed for next year.  Additionally, two players whose upside was limited elected to transfer, thereby providing unexpected recruiting opportunities. 

Sound to me like a program moving in the right direction . . . finally.         

Offline MentorViking

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
You're telling me we can't find a 6-9 , or 6-10 JC player somewhere to play here. Bull!   Then don't complain when we end up back at the bottom of the league, and everyone in the league is jumping over our 6-7 forwards for lay-up after lay-up, and inside put backs.  Slocum is just not aggressively seeking them.  You tell me how Valpo, Wright and Green Bay end up with them year after year.  We can only hope Larson and Chojnacki get their act together soon.  Yea! I know our program is down, but don't tell me we can't find be men.

LOL what a tool
yes im telling you we CANT and WONT find them, our basketball program is one of the WORST in D-1 thats why those other schools get the players and we WONT.

deal with it! end of story!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 10:49:26 PM »
High school basketball in the Mahoning Valley is a wasteland.  Can't get any help here.  Players in other parts of the country want to come to a basketball school where fans are excited about their game.  Hey, thirty years ago, but not now.  But there is a potential source of talent that we have largely ignored.  Basketball in Europe is vastly superior to what it was thirty years ago.  For our community, with over half the population tracing their roots to southern or eastern Europe, this source should have been tapped long ago. And eastern Europeans tend to be taller than say, French or Spaniards.  And those players would leap at the chance for an American college education (paid for with their basketball skills.)  And there are ethnic organizations in the Mahoning Valley with cultural ties to those ancestral homelands.  We should be networking with those folks and seeking info about potential talented teenager players in Lithuania (remember Vytas) Greece, and the remnants of Yugoslavia.  And Slocum (or at least one assistant) should fly out there once a year.  But that takes money, and we all know that administrative staffing takes priority over recruiting in all sports except football.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 04:15:35 AM »
Yes, stache, and one of those new recruits is 6-9, but tends to be perimeter shooter.  But here again big guys will not come to Youngstown.  If we can find a 6-9 perimeter oriented big.  Then we can find one that is willing to mix it up inside.  I want the program to move forward and not backward. I feel we will need of some interior players, and that is my concern.  Not trying to argue with anyone, just stating a fact that I see may hurt us next season.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 09:50:56 AM »
We'd all love to see a 6'9" or 6'10" talented post player, coaching staff included. But that said, I'd much rather have a 6'4" guard who can PLAY, than a 6'10" stiff.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 10:09:34 AM »
Hey guys - there is no way the recruiting threads on this board is everyone that YSU is involved with, especially from the Juco end.  I don't recall there being anything on any of the "free" recruiting sites that I follow about Blake Allen or DuShawn Brooks before they signed.   The Juco guys just aren't followed as well.

And the recruiting sites only list where the player has interest - if they don't have interest in YSU they aren't go to tell Joe ReadMyRecruitingSite about YSU's interest.