Author Topic: Reduction in the number of FCS football scholarships  (Read 7047 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Reduction in the number of FCS football scholarships
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:58:13 AM »
Cut backs everywhere  ::)

"Following a six-hour meeting in late September, the [NCAA] Resource Allocation Working Group, chaired by Georgia President Michael Adams, agreed to consider a reduction in FBS football scholarships from the current number of 85 to 80 and a reduction in the number of FCS football scholarships from 63 to 60. The reductions would likely follow a move toward a full cost-of-attendance scholarship that is expected to be passed in early 2012."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32698997
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 07:59:23 AM by ysubigred »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Reduction in the number of FCS football scholarships
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »
Well that saves us some money and brings us 2 schollys closer to the big boys
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:31:57 AM »
Scholarships are different though. The fear, for us, is that they will change the rule on partials.  "full cost-of-attendance scholarship that is expected to be passed in early 2012". This is the worst thing that can happen to I-AA/FCS schools ...like YSU.

Most people do not realize that I-AA/FCS schools are allowed partial scholarships, as long as it adds up to a TOTAL of 63; while IA/FBS schools are not. FBS schools that give a single dollar to a football player must count this as a FULL scholarship. We (at YSU) have more than 63 kids on scholarship right now; I would guess we have over 80 on scholarship at this point ...maybe even close to 100. So if the NCAA requires "full cost of attendance", that means we lose partial scholarships. That helps Joe Blow U in one of the Dakotas (that has to go outside of the local area to get most all of their players), but it kills schools like YSU, that have a wealth of solid local talent that may come play for the cost of education, and live with mom and dad for a year or two. Thus allowing YSU to use that 1/2 scholarship toward another player.

Not to sound like Andy Rooney here, but this is a very bad thing for us. Very bad. Should we move this topic to the regular football thread ...important topic?

The same crap happened when they changed the name from I-AA to FCS. All of the wannabe IA coaches (in what was then known as I-AA, like that idiot from Montana that wanted the Nevada job) jumped on the side of the NCAA that claimed that it dropped the "AA", because it made people think we were DII. What a bunch of 'bunk' that was. The truth of this matter was that the "big boys" did not want I-AA teams to be considered DI (like they are) by prospective recruits, so they lobbied the NCAA for the change to FCS. Sure the AA is gone, but so is the "I" that came before it. That is what tells people we are division-I. I would much rather be division I-AA, than the FCS subdivision of DI. For a nation that has to have a restaurant name changed to three letters because it is to difficult to say "Kentucky Fried Chicken"; what do you think are the chances that the media will print, or say. "division I-FCS" over "FCS"?

Sincerely,
KFC
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:56:09 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 01:45:13 PM »

actually 7 scholarships since they only get 80 insted of 85

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
I have a different interpretation of this.  I think that the "full cost of attendance scholarship" will only apply to the Big Boys.  In other words, they will give out cash stipends to their players and the NCAA will allow FBS to do this in order to keep the organization intact (and preserve the NCAA monopoly over basketball money.)  FCS scholarships won't have that hidden stipend, so partial grants will probably remain.

If I am correct (and this is merely speculation,) it could actually be good for us.  The Big Boys run their "professionalized" football.  The FBS pretenders (MAC and Sun Belt and a few others) cannot possibly pay that stipend so they are forced down to our level.  Then every program is where they belong.  The Big Boys get football autonomy, FCS gets the playoffs, and the NCAA survives and keeps the basketball money.  We shall see.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 07:48:13 PM »

actually 7 scholarships since they only get 80 instead of 85

Not talking about partials here but my logic was this, now it is 85 to 63 a difference of 22. If this goes through it will be 80 to 60 a difference of 20.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline southbeach

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 11:27:17 AM »
I suspect fan21 studied math at cardinal mooney! LOL