Author Topic: OT: Boosters  (Read 16090 times)

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
OT: Boosters
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:51:03 AM »
after i heard this news

"...And a FWIW the Word on the street is Les Wexner (2.8 Bil net worth) and Jay Schottenstien (2.3 Bil net worth) are pushing Gene Smith to fire Fickel and Hire Meyer the day right after the Michigan game more and more and have already once threatened to no longer donate to the university..."

it got me to think, do we have any major boosters? and what would Strollo do in this situation?

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Boosters
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
after i heard this news

"...And a FWIW the Word on the street is Les Wexner (2.8 Bil net worth) and Jay Schottenstien (2.3 Bil net worth) are pushing Gene Smith to fire Fickel and Hire Meyer the day right after the Michigan game more and more and have already once threatened to no longer donate to the university..."

it got me to think, do we have any major boosters? and what would Strollo do in this situation?

I too heard that plan. And a number of folks are hoping for it. Not that Fickel is bad. But a Urban Meyer hire has "juice".....and a new great era begins. If it's gonna happen, here is hoping the story unfolds like described above.

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 10:54:22 PM »
after i heard this news

I too heard that plan. And a number of folks are hoping for it. Not that Fickel is bad. But a Urban Meyer hire has "juice".....and a new great era begins. If it's gonna happen, here is hoping the story unfolds like described above.

Fickel is pretty bad, sure he's had a mess to coach in right now, but he's made more in game mistakes this year then i think Tressell ever made in his entire coaching career

guy just cant handle being a full time HC yet

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 11:03:27 PM »
Fickel was never meant to be head-coach ...so what is news about a move like this? I doubt there are any threats. If there were, the move will come much sooner than after the last game of the season. Coaching changes are always made at that time. JT knew well in advance he was going to Columbus ...weeeelllllll in advance. If the next coach is Myer ...then so does he.

Big D

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »
There isn't going to be a coaching change at OSU until their NCAA penalty is handed down.  No good coach is going to walk into that mess until he knows how many scholarships he is going to loose and how long their probation is going to be.  And with new violations popping up every few weeks, it could take quite awhile before the NCAA gives their ruling. 

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:00:19 AM »
There isn't going to be a coaching change at OSU until their NCAA penalty is handed down.  No good coach is going to walk into that mess until he knows how many scholarships he is going to loose and how long their probation is going to be.  And with new violations popping up every few weeks, it could take quite awhile before the NCAA gives their ruling.

No Coach would turn down the Ohio St job thats no named Nick Saban, Bob Stoops or Mack Brown

its a step up from whatever school they are at now, Ohio St pays more, and its a football HS hotbed for Talent

Ohio St isnt going to get more then a slap on the wrist and its going to be announced in about 2 weeks (certain amount of time after court hearing) the NCAA wont delay it

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:47 AM »
Fickel was never meant to be head-coach ...so what is news about a move like this? I doubt there are any threats. If there were, the move will come much sooner than after the last game of the season. Coaching changes are always made at that time. JT knew well in advance he was going to Columbus ...weeeelllllll in advance. If the next coach is Myer ...then so does he.

Fickel was Never ment to be a HC huh? is that why just about EVERYBODY knew he was the likley canidate to replace Tressell when he retired? sorry 100% not buying it

and i have no doubts there were not threats made, its Ohio St, you expect excellence at Ohio St not 3-3, again 100% not buying no threats were made
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:02:51 AM by YSUfan21 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »
I should have said Fickel was never meant to be the permanent head-coach. He is CLEARLY unqualified, and the administration made it clear that he is "interim". I would have concerns if we hired him here at YSU, let alone at OSU. Tressel himself was under-qualified when he was offered. It took a friendship to even get him an interview. Once he got, we all knew the job was his. Fickel in the future? Yes had JT stuck around, it may have come in a few years

Big D

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
No Coach would turn down the Ohio St job thats no named Nick Saban, Bob Stoops or Mack Brown

its a step up from whatever school they are at now, Ohio St pays more, and its a football HS hotbed for Talent

Ohio St isnt going to get more then a slap on the wrist and its going to be announced in about 2 weeks (certain amount of time after court hearing) the NCAA wont delay it

OSU is ONLY going to go after a "name" coach (like the coaches you listed above) and no "name" coach is going to come to OSU until their sanctions are announced.  There is not a chance in hell their sanctions get announced in 2 weeks.  They might have gotten a slap on the wrist and it might have been announced in 2 weeks if new violations didn't keep popping up.   With 4 more players getting busted for taking cash this summer after OSU was already getting investigated for players accepting illegal benefits, expect the investigation to re-open.  OSU is going to get more than a slap on the wrist.  They tried to put all of the blame on Tressel.  This new case of these 4 players getting in trouble happened after Tressel left and OSU made all of their student athletes get more education on what is considered illegal benefits.  I wouldn't be surprised if OSU gets lack of institutional control added to their infractions due to the timing of this most recent case.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »
Do we really need two threads now on a YSU BOARD about the craphole that is tO$U football?

Get this and the other thread that has degenerated into a pissing match between the Michigan and Ohio State fans off to the Off Topic board and leave this board for YSU.

Please.

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »
I should have said Fickel was never meant to be the permanent head-coach. He is CLEARLY unqualified, and the administration made it clear that he is "interim". I would have concerns if we hired him here at YSU, let alone at OSU. Tressel himself was under-qualified when he was offered. It took a friendship to even get him an interview. Once he got, we all knew the job was his. Fickel in the future? Yes had JT stuck around, it may have come in a few years

Remind me again how 4 NCs and 6 NC apperances in a 9 year span makes you udner Qualified?

i dont think any current coach at D1 and/D1AA has EVER done that in the last 20 years

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »

OSU is ONLY going to go after a "name" coach (like the coaches you listed above) and no "name" coach is going to come to OSU until their sanctions are announced.  There is not a chance in hell their sanctions get announced in 2 weeks.  They might have gotten a slap on the wrist and it might have been announced in 2 weeks if new violations didn't keep popping up.   With 4 more players getting busted for taking cash this summer after OSU was already getting investigated for players accepting illegal benefits, expect the investigation to re-open.  OSU is going to get more than a slap on the wrist.  They tried to put all of the blame on Tressel.  This new case of these 4 players getting in trouble happened after Tressel left and OSU made all of their student athletes get more education on what is considered illegal benefits.  I wouldn't be surprised if OSU gets lack of institutional control added to their infractions due to the timing of this most recent case.

do you not know how the NCAA works? they cant tie in future violations with past violations in the same reports, not to mention the NCAA has said absolutley nothing about the current so called "Violations"

and LOL @ Ohio St getting Lack of institional control, theres a better chance of hell freezing over then that happening, especailly when theres zero proof of LOIC

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »
I endorse what Indy said.  That is why IAA Fan provides space for non-YSU topics.  Some of us just do not care about that school in Columbus, whether they are winning or whether they are stinking (relatively speaking) just as badly as us.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »
after i heard this news

Fickel is pretty bad, sure he's had a mess to coach in right now, but he's made more in game mistakes this year then i think Tressell ever made in his entire coaching career

guy just cant handle being a full time HC yet

Good post

Big D

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »

do you not know how the NCAA works? they cant tie in future violations with past violations in the same reports, not to mention the NCAA has said absolutley nothing about the current so called "Violations"

WTF are you talking about.  The NCAA had quite a bit to say about these new violations.  They just announced additional suspensions on Friday for Posey, Marcus Hall, Melvin Fellows and Daniel Herron.

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/Posey-Suspended-5-Additional-Games-43287

FYI, most people here know this already but I have worked at OSU, WSU, UD, and UC in their athletic departments in the past.  My experience in college athletics includes 6 years in NCAA compliance.  And you are very wrong in your above statement.  The NCAA can re-open an investigation at anytime as long as it is within it's five year statue of limitation.  Even if the NCAA rules on OSU's tattoo scandal, they can come back with additional sanction after the fact if additional evidence is uncovered.   Here is a link to the NCAA D1 manual.  You might want to buy one so you know WTF you are talking about instead of making up your BS as you go. 

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4224-2011-2012-ncaa-division-i-manual-august-2011.aspx
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:57:37 PM by Big D »