Author Topic: A QUESTION  (Read 14097 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: A QUESTION
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »
There's a knitter that sits behind the bench at Pittsburgh Penguins games, even the year they won the cup.

Maybe it's the same lady? Or a good omen.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »
As head of this program I believe that the energy given by Wolf (i.e. showinig enthusiasm on 3rd down) would rub off more than the water boy trying to get the crowd going.  Of course, the trainers can cheer too,  but their effectievness on the crowd would be deminimus compared to Wolf.

Winning the community and fans over, recieving their support on and off the field is one of the biggest challenges for any coach to overcome.  Winning multiple championships obviously gets their support.  The challenge leading up to the championships seems in active pursuit.

I agree with an upgrade to our sound system and believe that increased volume is a must.

As for our students, last week looked around our average.  I'm not sure splitting the students in half would help at all, but increasing their numbers certainly would help.

Z

My boy Z -- rockin' out "deminimus"!  If we were playin' scrabble I would challenge that word Z,
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »
This is always one of my favorite topics. I think we should post things we feel could be done to help increase the volume. Clearly ticket sales is the top of the list.

As to the knitter ...no big deal. She could be nervous. Look at it this way ...she is making a day out of the game ...and this is great. The Guins and knitting are probably her two favorite past times. Would you rather she knit at home?

As to our volume, our reputation is that of being loud and understanding the game. (let's face it ...we can be obnoxious). Of course this does mean that calls are not always going to go our way, but it is worth it. In many cases, the calls are blown, and the extra volume make the official pull a flag he may otherwise only be thinking about. Last week, there were 3 very poor calls ...well 2-spots and a call. We had a no-call on a FB jump on one of our TD's, but that was a "wash" with an obvious push-off that was missed for an ILS score.

I would like to see some of those "Thunder Sticks". I know they use them at ISU and WIU ...so there cannot be any conference issues with them.

Any other noise ideas?

I will say that we were very loud a few times in the second half. It seems to tie in directly to the defense. ILS had several 3rd-and-longs, and we seemed to give them the first-down each time. That will really quiet a crowd.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:35:42 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
Her husband probably dragged her azz to the game.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »
I brought this up several years ago; put a crowd microphone in front of the band.  Let them play between plays rather than use that stupid canned music.  The crowd would respond to that much better.

Offline ysu2000

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »
put a crowd microphone in front of the band.  Let them play between plays rather than use that stupid canned music.

I agree.  The absolute worst is when the band and music play simultaneously.  It seems to happen a lot.

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
put a crowd microphone in front of the band.  Let them play between plays rather than use that stupid canned music.

I agree.  The absolute worst is when the band and music play simultaneously.  It seems to happen a lot.

I agree with both statements.

Z

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 12:35:54 PM »

I agree with both statements.

Z

Ditto.