Author Topic: A QUESTION  (Read 14099 times)

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
A QUESTION
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »
YOUR OPINION

SHOULD FOOTBALL COACHES HAVE TO BE CHEERLEADERS
OR WOULD YOU PREFER THEIR ATTENTION BE GIVEN TO
COACHING?

GO PENGUINS

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: A QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Coaching.  There was a pretty good size crowd there yesterday and the noise it made was sad.  Clap your hands, yell, do something!  I looked around a few times on third down and everyone was just sitting down making no noise. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 06:47:20 PM »
I was on the field and at times i wondered why the crowd didnt cheer more!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:57:04 PM »
YOUR OPINION

SHOULD FOOTBALL COACHES HAVE TO BE CHEERLEADERS
OR WOULD YOU PREFER THEIR ATTENTION BE GIVEN TO
COACHING?

GO PENGUINS

Maybe they should not HAVE to be, but I have no problem with Wolf's enthusiasm.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline MD_YSU_FAN

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 09:22:58 PM »
I'm a long time Fan as my father went to YSU in the 70's and I graduated from WarrenJFK before moving to Maryland and going to the military prior to returning to Maryland after serving 8 years.  I have read this board for a long time but never posted. 

My father and I drove up from Maryland yesterday for the game and was excited to see the large crowd.  However, we were saying the same thing that it seemed very quiet unlike the last time we drove up for a game which was the JMU playoff game.  That game was insanely loud.  I think a lot has to do with the music level as well.  Loud music usually makes the crowd get pumped and loud.  However, the music level seemed to be extremely low.  We were at the 50 yd line in row 53 and we could barely here the music playing.  Someone needs to turn the radio level up! 

Great Time though and made the 4 hour trip home a pleasant one!

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »
It seems to be a problem at all levels of play.  Fans now look at their cell phone for scores and stats from other games as well as texting each other.  This lessens the fans impact on games (just ask Tom Brady).

Z

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:55:07 PM »
It seems to be a problem at all levels of play.  Fans now look at their cell phone for scores and stats from other games as well as texting each other.  This lessens the fans impact on games (just ask Tom Brady).

Z

Well some on here know me, but I don't make the trip home 860 miles round trip to the Ice Castle (dead Zone) as I like to call it anymore. Because: The last trip home I was ask to quiet down because I was disturbing this guy with his kids trying to color in their free Pete & Penny coloring book  :o

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »
Not enough students at the game.  We need more students and put them on both sides of the stadium.
They make the most noise not the 80 year old Joe Blow who makes up 50% of the crowd.   

Finally we need to do something with our piss poor PA system in the stadium.  You can barely here anyone speaking on it.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 06:44:59 PM »
YSU PRIDE....Wait till you are 80, right now I'll challenge any student
to cheering.....I'm 80.....so get off that kick.  No I'm not bragging
I'm complaining about people like you who think....we 80 year olds
should stay home.

Big Red.....you shoulda taken the crayons away......

GO PENGUINS

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »

Finally we need to do something with our piss poor PA system in the stadium.  You can barely here anyone speaking on it.

I agree, but there does seem to a problem with the ref's mic's
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:15:38 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »
Everyone around me stood and yelled on 3rd down at Wolf's urging.

Good for him, he makes me laugh.

The PA system is bad, couldn't hear player's names.  Or the announcer is bad.  You ARE allowed to raise your voice level mr. announcer man.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 01:11:30 PM »
Let the student trainers, equipment staff, and third stringers work the crowd while the rest of the team focuses on the opposition.  Most folks around me were making noise on thrid down, but most people that come to the games aren't that passionate.  I'm just glad they buy tickets.  I believe the crowd will be louder on the 8th provided we win this weekend.

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 02:18:38 PM »
As head of this program I believe that the energy given by Wolf (i.e. showinig enthusiasm on 3rd down) would rub off more than the water boy trying to get the crowd going.  Of course, the trainers can cheer too,  but their effectievness on the crowd would be deminimus compared to Wolf.

Winning the community and fans over, recieving their support on and off the field is one of the biggest challenges for any coach to overcome.  Winning multiple championships obviously gets their support.  The challenge leading up to the championships seems in active pursuit.

I agree with an upgrade to our sound system and believe that increased volume is a must.

As for our students, last week looked around our average.  I'm not sure splitting the students in half would help at all, but increasing their numbers certainly would help.

Z

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 08:16:44 PM »
Let the student trainers, equipment staff, and third stringers work the crowd while the rest of the team focuses on the opposition.  Most folks around me were making noise on thrid down, but most people that come to the games aren't that passionate.  I'm just glad they buy tickets.  I believe the crowd will be louder on the 8th provided we win this weekend.

Agreed. People will start getting excited, when the game means something. Now understand, I know every game means a lot.....but when we are playing our final league game for the league title......"trust me", folks will show up, get off their butts, and be loud.

We've got to get back to that level. Right now fans have a "slight" interest. Just waiting for the sandcastle to fall....again. They don't want to get their hopes up or invest emotional energy until they know it will be reciprocated with wins and titles.

It's a bad way for the fans to think. It's a chicken or egg thing. Fans must support FIRST. Then they get their "title". They unfortunately want the "title" first.....until they start getting off their azzes and start cheering.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:18:42 PM by Pizza »

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 08:51:27 PM »
If I knew how to post an image to this site I would show all of you the picture I took last year of a woman crocheting in the stands...need I say more...
THE DRIVE FOR 5