Author Topic: Travis William LB Miami Hurricanes Transfer to YSU  (Read 14571 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Travis William LB Miami Hurricanes Transfer to YSU
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:00:19 AM »
Interesting...

Hurricanes’ recruit Travis Williams is burning down the house
by Jorge Milian
It seems like all you hear about lately is why top high school football recruits don’t want to attend UM.

Travis Williams, a four-star linebacker from Norfolk, Va. and lifelong ‘Canes fan, is different.

Many of the nation’s elite college football programs offered Williams scholarships by the start of his senior season at Norfolk Lake Taylor High. But when the Hurricanes weren’t among that group, Williams had his high school coach send a highlight tape to UM.

If Miami wouldn’t come to him, Williams decided, then he would go to Miami. Three days later, UM coach Randy Shannon called offering a scholarship. Williams, who was eating lunch in the cafeteria at the time, ran back to tell his friends the news.

“Once they offered me, I already had in my mind that’s where I’m going to end up,” Williams said. “I didn’t send my film there for no reason.”

Williams was so certain of his decision that he orally committed to UM in October even though he had never set foot in the state of Florida. He made his official visit to UM last weekend and is staying in town to play for the USA all-star team in Saturday’s Team USA vs. The World game at Fort Lauderdale’s Lockhart Stadium on Saturday. The game, which pits top college prospects against players from several different countries, begins at noon and is free to the public.

“I want to get the feeling of going up against college-level people,” Williams said of his decision to participate in the inaugural event. “I’m a competitive guy.”

A bit mischievous too.

There’s no easy way to put this, but when Williams was a small child – 2 or 3 years old in his recollection – he burned down the family house. Williams said his grandmother was bathing his little brother when he began playing with her matches, flicking them into a closet.

Next thing everybody knew, “the house was in flames,” Williams said.

“Everybody ran out of the house,” Williams said. “I was hiding behind the couch. My grandma came back and saw me sticking my head over the couch and she went back and got me. I was scared.”

Williams said he was too young to get in trouble for the incident but his mother and grandmother “were really, really mad. We had just moved there. Everything was brand new.”

Williams is still dangerous but limits it to the football field. He registered more than 70 sacks in high school and is ranked by Rivals.com as the nation’s 14th-best outside linebacker prospect.

Although various recruiting websites have him closer to 190 pounds, Williams said this week he’s up to 200 pounds. Williams said he plans on arriving at UM this summer at 205 pounds “and letting the school put the rest of the weight on me. I’m not pushing the weight thing. I want to keep my speed up.”

Speed is his greatest strength, according to Williams, who claims to have run 40 yards in 4.38 seconds. Speed is also what initially attracted Williams to the Hurricanes.

“It’s a linebacker thing over there,” Williams said of UM’s reputation for fast ‘backers. “I think they liked the fact that I’m fast. I’m an athlete. I may not be so big, but they can make me into a linebacker. I have the instincts of a linebacker.

“Looking at the style they play, how that defense moves, I just see myself fitting in there perfectly.”

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Travis William LB Miami Hurricanes Transfer to YSU
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
wow....heard about this last week....he is good friends with the DB that is coming from the U....this
guy is a game changer.....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »
Game changer or not ...this is YSU. Both of these guys were asked not to return. When you are asked not to return to Miami(FL) ...need I say any more? After all, these are 2 and 4 star recruits. So far this is all talk, let's wait until it is confirmed. We should know by tomorrow night. I do know that one of them does not have transcripts at YSU. The other I have not checked.

on the lighter side:

I never heard of Miami (FL) as "the U" ...this is Ohio. I have heard OU referred to as "the U" ...to distinguish it from OSU. We experienced fans call Miami(FL)  "[insert favorite Italian/Spanish slur beginning with letter D*] U".  People in Boardman and Cleveland call it "Bernie U". People here in Columbus simply call them "the team that Tressel beat in 1992", or "How-Dee-Do U" ;D

*Cannot even say it anymore ...darn you Johnny Cochran".
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:51:55 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »
i was under the impression that these 2 kids from the U asked to leave .....and were not kicked out....

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:25:41 PM »
You never know how a player will turn out.  The Rivals and scouting websites get it wrong more often than not.  There are so many factors with kids..........not only the players around them, but where their head is at and how hard they are willing to work in addition to their natural athletic ability and how well it was being developed in HS.  Not including their attention to detail and ability to learn new plays and adapt to faster play while not fearing injuries or becoming a head case when they fail or get outplayed.........for some the first time in their careers.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »
What I like about the kid's statement in the article is that he claim to be following the rules as an upstanding citizen.  I like the fact that he states he does not want the label of being on drugs and stated that he would take a test.  He may have been hanging out with the wrong crowd and learned a few things.  When I was younger, I did the same thing and learned, so I can see where he is coming from and respect it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 05:49:17 PM »
Okay. Here is all I could find out:

1. Of the 4 asked to leave ... Williams (and another HS Friend from the ACC, VA Tech) both accepted offers from Hampton. The friend was dismissed after an altercation related to a DUI. There could have been a change & Williams is coming here. If that is so, I would assume they are both coming.  There is also an LB from Miami (OH) that has left the program. He has 4-years left to play & he is from Plantation City, FL. This could be the individual coming here. Hampton has it on their site already from a couple weeks ago. Here is the local paper's article:

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/07/three-local-football-standouts-find-home-hampton

2. Devont'a Davis does have a copy of transcripts at YSU.

Hopefully there is more tonight.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:11:03 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »
It would be appropriate to give any young man a second chance. To any youngster.......who made a bad decision out of HS......If you play your cards right you can have a great career and get a shot at the "League" with a great career at YSU.

If however, you are another Sir Demarco Bledsoe......who came in from TCU and thought he was "all that".......well then, your stay here will be short.

"WHO NAMES their kid "SIR"......anyway?......a red flag there, wouldn't you agree?

Wake up folks!!!!!!

As a potential YSU football player.......Be a team guy and leave any ego you may have at the door........all eyes are on you and we don't care where you came from. We know football in this area.

Produce for a great staff and program. Then you can "brag" and "style" when your name gets called in the NFL.

First things first......

Don't be another stupid casualty of the thinking......."I came from the 'U" or wherever.....and I'm better than you. You'll have a real short stay here if that is your mentality. Because when you get here, you'll be surprised to find the talent level the "Guins" have. Most of who were "over looked" at bigger programs. You may move from 2nd team at your current school  to 3rd team at YSU.......So come prepared!

Right now, you have 100% support. Maximize that....grow it to 125%. Don't screw it up to 20%.

Be "the guy" for 2-3 short years. Then do what you will . Take advantage of a great opportunity.

A word to the wise is sufficient.

Are you WISE ...??
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:10:17 PM by Pizza »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »
That should be required reading Pizza ...great post.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »
Okay, here we are. The Hampton paper:

By Larry Rubama
The Virginian-Pilot
© August 04, 2011

NORFOLK

Travis Williams, a former Lake Taylor High star linebacker, has called an audible.

Last week Williams, who is 6-foot-3 and 208 pounds, said he was going to Hampton after transferring from Miami (Fla.).

But on Monday he decided to sign with Youngstown State.

"I feel like it's a better situation," said Williams, a former two-time All-Tidewater player.

"Growing up in the 757, I've seen all I need to see. I just wanted to continue my journey away from home. In the (Missouri Valley Football Conference) they play bigger schools. I'll get a chance to play against better competition, so I can see where I really stand (rather) than against a lower division."

According to one power poll last season, the Missouri Valley ranked second among Football Championship Subdivision conferences behind only the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, where Hampton plays, ranked 10th out of 11 conferences.

Youngstown State has  played Penn State, Pittsburgh and Ohio State in the past four seasons and this season opens at Michigan State on Sept 2.

Williams was highly recruited out of high school and signed with Miami.

He missed last season with a knee injury, but earned a starting position during spring practice.

He said a disagreement with new Hurricanes head coach Al Golden made him realize it would be better to leave.

He wanted to come home to be with mother. Last July, his brother, Wayne, was killed.

"When my brother got murdered my family was stressing and I wanted to be close to home," he said.

"After talking to my mother, my mother encouraged me to go away from home."

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »
Okay, here we are. The Hampton paper:

By Larry Rubama
The Virginian-Pilot
© August 04, 2011

NORFOLK

Travis Williams, a former Lake Taylor High star linebacker, has called an audible.

Last week Williams, who is 6-foot-3 and 208 pounds, said he was going to Hampton after transferring from Miami (Fla.).

But on Monday he decided to sign with Youngstown State.

"I feel like it's a better situation," said Williams, a former two-time All-Tidewater player.

"Growing up in the 757, I've seen all I need to see. I just wanted to continue my journey away from home. In the (Missouri Valley Football Conference) they play bigger schools. I'll get a chance to play against better competition, so I can see where I really stand (rather) than against a lower division."

According to one power poll last season, the Missouri Valley ranked second among Football Championship Subdivision conferences behind only the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, where Hampton plays, ranked 10th out of 11 conferences.

Youngstown State has  played Penn State, Pittsburgh and Ohio State in the past four seasons and this season opens at Michigan State on Sept 2.

Williams was highly recruited out of high school and signed with Miami.

He missed last season with a knee injury, but earned a starting position during spring practice.

He said a disagreement with new Hurricanes head coach Al Golden made him realize it would be better to leave.

He wanted to come home to be with mother. Last July, his brother, Wayne, was killed.

"When my brother got murdered my family was stressing and I wanted to be close to home," he said.

"After talking to my mother, my mother encouraged me to go away from home."

Cool!!  At 6'3" 208 I bet he's fast as a cat!!  Sounds like a great pick up for the "D" :)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
I also applaud the views posted by Pizza.  This young man now has a wonderful opportunity.  Sad to learn about his brother, but that just underscores the fact that parts of inner-city culture are dysfunctional everywhere in this country.  I hope that he can put that behind him and make a new life here.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
I like the looks of this, welcome aboard
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 12:58:47 AM »
That should be required reading Pizza ...great post.

Thanks, but I just state my humble opinion and the obvious......no great  talent required on that venture.....LOL.

But appreciate it nontheless.

Welcome Travis!!!!!!

KNOCK PEOPLE DOWN !!!!!

and stay out of trouble......the library during your free time is a great place to do that!

Just sayin'......just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:04:51 AM by Pizza »