Author Topic: Allen Jones  (Read 8206 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Allen Jones
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:45:38 PM »
Heard this the other day. Wish him well!

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - Allen Jones was one of Eric Wolford's first recruits when he arrived at Youngstown State. Now, Jones is taking his talents elsewhere.

21 Sports has learned that Jones has left the YSU football program after one season.

The former Ursuline standout, and one of Eric Wolford's first recruits, played in nine games as a true freshman; carrying the ball eight times for 86 yards and one touchdown. He also played on special teams.

It appears Jones wants more playing time and feels he can get it at another school.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Allen Jones
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:25:59 PM »
When you are a sophomore and find yourself behind a junior who just made a pre-season All-American squad, your prospects look bleak.  There was no way any school at our level could stockpile so much talent at one position.  When we start to lose quality players at other positions because they can not get on the field, we will truly be all the way back.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:53:34 AM »
If this is true, then why not move him to the defensive backfield?  We need speed and physical presence there.  He may have been a decent corner or SS?  No?  what am I missing here?

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »
If this is true, then why not move him to the defensive backfield?  We need speed and physical presence there.  He may have been a decent corner or SS?  No?  what am I missing here?

I would guess he wants to play running back?

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »

I would guess he wants to play running back?

Understood. And I'd like to be 6'4" and have Gizzelle Bunchen as my wife.

But we can't always have what we want.

I wish him the best though.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
 :) Frees up a scholly for a position where we need players. I wish Jones all the best in his future endeavors'

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
When we start to lose quality players at other positions because they can not get on the field, we will truly be all the way back.

Great way to look at it. A good problem to have.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 11:02:49 PM »
When you are a sophomore and find yourself behind a junior who just made a pre-season All-American squad, your prospects look bleak.  There was no way any school at our level could stockpile so much talent at one position.  When we start to lose quality players at other positions because they can not get on the field, we will truly be all the way back.

You mean guys like this?

http://www.steamboatmagazine.com/articles/297.php

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »
Indy,

Not quite guys like that.  That was back in the day when Tressel still associated with the common folk, and I remember him telling me that he hated to lose Wood but that the kid just wanted to return to the western culture.  Glad that he became so successful and also glad that he still honors his accomplishments from his brief stay with us. 

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
Any word on where Jones will end up? Another 1-AA? Maybe a minimum scholarship 1-AA like Robert Morris? Maybe D2 Slippery Rock.....or D3....He could be a star at Mount Union if they could find someone to cover the "other half".

Any ideas?

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:35:44 PM »
There must be some info......somewhere.

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 03:15:20 PM »