Author Topic: RHP Brad Hennessey looking to reinvent himself in Astros' minor league system  (Read 3152 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Stephen Goff, Houston Examiner

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas -- Right-hander Brad Hennessey, a former first-round pick (21st overall) by the San Francisco Giants in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft, recently joined Double-A Corpus Christi after spending roughly two weeks preparing himself in extended Spring Training in Kissimmee, Fla., upon signing a minor league contract with the Houston Astros on June 2.

Hennessey, 31, told Examiner.com that he generated little interest on the free-agent market this past offseason due to battling lower back issues, which caused him to go unsigned heading into Spring Training and for the first two months of the regular season.

However, he worked hard to rehab the injury and put himself in position to throw a bullpen session in front of a handful of interested MLB teams, including the Astros, last month in Toledo, Ohio.

Ultimately, Houston emerged as the best fit for Hennessey, thus leading to the minor league deal and an opportunity for the veteran right-hander to potentially make it back to the big leagues this season.

"I didn't get an opportunity to get signed before the spring," Hennessey said. "I had some lower back issues this winter, but I spent a lot of time rehabbing that and getting it healthy. Once I got there, I left it up to my agent to try to find some teams that might be interested. We set up a session to throw for them. A couple of teams came out and the Astros were one of them.

"Houston liked me enough to offer me a deal. I went down to Kissimmee to get some innings in during extended Spring Training. It was great getting back, throwing bullpens and facing hitters. It has led me to Corpus Christi for now and hopefully more soon."

Hennessey advanced through San Francisco's farm system as a highly-touted prospect and made his major league debut in historical fashion on Aug. 7, 2004 as the opposing starting pitcher against four-time NL Cy Young Award winner and future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux, who officially joined the prestigious 300-win club that day with an 8-4 victory at AT&T Park.

"I was trying to block him from his 300th," Hennessey said. "Circle gets the square, right? I did really well through the lineup once and the second time, they got me. It was a home game for us, and for me, an unforgettable way to start a big league career."

From there, Hennessey battled to remain in the big leagues due to inconsistency, often shifting between Triple-A Fresno and San Francisco.

Hennessey was utilized as both a starting pitcher and reliever, but it became apparent that he served as a better asset in the bullpen.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy moved him into the closer's role on May 31, 2007 following the trade of Armando Benitez to the Florida Marlins.
Advertisement

He excelled in the role by compiling 19 saves, including 14 straight, before losing the job to a young, up-and-coming Brian Wilson.

Hennessey and the Giants avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $1.6 million contract for the 2008 campaign, but he wound up spending the majority of the year at the Triple-A level, only be recalled when the active roster expanded in September.

Although it marked the end of his career with San Francisco, Hennessey credits pitching coach Dave Righetti and being around talented arms, such as Tim Lincecum, Barry Zito, Matt Cain, Jonathan Sanchez and Wilson, as making him better on the mound.

Also, he pinpoints former NL Cy Young Award winner, three-time All-Star and World Series champion Orel Hershiser as a positive influence.

"I played for good managers in Felipe Alou and Bruce Bochy," he said. "As a pitcher, you're going to develop under the pitching coach. I had Dave Righetti, who is one of the best in the business. I also played with a lot of good pitchers that helped me out.

"There will also be some ballplayers along the way you'll get introduced to. For me, it was Orel Hershiser. They'll throw some helpful information your way to help you improve your game."

For Hennessey, the last two seasons have been filled with bumps and bruises along the way just to keep his big league dreams alive.

He missed the entire 2009 regular season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, and then signed a minor league contract with the Minnesota Twins for the following year -- making just 13 relief appearances and one start at Triple-A Rochester in 2010.

Despite the obstacles, Hennessey refuses to quit and will push forward over the next few months with the goal of making it to Houston.

"I'm hoping I can get in a position to where I can get called up," Hennessey said. "I really want to make it back to the big leagues. If not, so be it. I think the Astros will give me a fair shake this season and give me an opportunity to earn my way back up."

Hennessey is 0-1 with a 3.00 ERA and two strikeouts over three innings in two relief appearances since joining Corpus Christi.

For the latest Astros news, click on the Subscribe button at the top of the page. Also, be sure to follow Houston Astros Examiner Stephen Goff on Facebook and Twitter, or email sgoff80@yahoo.com.

Continue reading on Examiner.com RHP Brad Hennessey looking to reinvent himself in Astros' minor league system - Houston Houston Astros | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/houston-astros-in-houston/rhp-brad-hennessey-looking-to-reinvent-himself-astros-minor-league-system#ixzz1SZev3AJC

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Just an FYI. Brad is moving up fast. He went Triple-A this past weekend. At this rate, he is going to get called up to the Astros. Great comeback!