Author Topic: Mark Klysner Takes Over Women's Tennis Program  (Read 2909 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Mark Klysner Takes Over Women's Tennis Program
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »
I don't know hoe I missed this:

Mark Klysner Takes Over Women's Tennis Program

Youngstown State Executive Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Ron Strollo announced on Wednesday that Mark Klysner, who served a the men's tennis head coach last year, will take over the women's program as well effective immediately.

Klysner replaces Michele Grim who resigned after spending the past 14 years with the program.

Strollo said the work Klysner has done in his role as men's tennis coach made him the perfect choice to take over both positions.

"In one year our men's program has made great strides under Mark," Strollo said. "We are excited that he will coach both programs and feel our tennis future at Youngstown State is very strong under his leadership."

In his first campaign with the Penguins, Klysner led the men's team to six dual victories, a berth in the Horizon League Tournament, won two league matches and had a player named first-team all-conference.

The six wins were a five-win improvement from the previous year. The two Horizon League victories marked the first time since joining the conference that the Guins had multiple wins in the same year. At the League Tournament, the Penguins battled in tough losses to Wright State and Butler. Junior Tariq Ismail was a first-team all-league selection, the first on the men's side since 2005.

Klysner has a solid track record of experience when it comes to coaching women's programs.

Klysner was an assistant for the women's team at Fairleigh Dickinson in 2009-10. The Knights' won the regular-season conference title and had won 10 straight matches before losing in the Northeast Conference Tournament final.

He spent the 2008-09 campaign as a men's and women's assistant at Austin Peay.

Klysner was the head men's and women's tennis coach at Green River Community College in Auburn, Wash., for two seasons (2006-08). He also was the assistant men's and women's tennis coach at the University of South Carolina at Aiken in 1999-2000.

"I'm excited to coach both programs here at Youngstown State," Klysner said. "I want to thank Ron Strollo and the YSU athletic department for this great opportunity. I'm very excited to be coaching both programs and look forward to the upcoming season. The support our administration has shown has been tremendous and everything has been handled in a first-class way. I look forward to the challenge of coaching both programs and can't wait to get busy recruiting."