Author Topic: Bob Hannons letter to the editor  (Read 22756 times)

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bob Hannons letter to the editor
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
Tressel will more than survive this. In fact, if he did not agree to 5-games in advance, he would have had less. That being said. I still do not care. I drive past "the shoe' on my way to "the ice castle". Aside from spring games, I have only been to two OSU football games ...the one against the guins. As far as Hannon's letter ...is he that much of a coward? Why doesn't he just put it on his employer's web site ...not too many programs contribute more than OSU to the United Way. People here in Columbus know what is going on. If punishment is a year or more, they replace him. However, I think many of those people do not realize that the university cannot make him AD. That is the one thing this issue did do. I guess they could, but it would be very difficult to defend the choice.
Wick and I tried to tell you that Tressel would not survive this. There was no way. It had gotten too deep and this week's SI article is only going to make it worse. And before all of the Tress' minions blame ESPN, remember this--he lied to the NCAA and they were going to make his life he11 for it. Still, we appreciate all he's done for YSU--who knows, maybe if Wolford doesn't work out.........

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 11:50:51 AM »
Now that it has happened ...one more thing. Hannon now needs to tender his resignation as well. I understand the "intent" of the article; but it is too late for Bob, and his respect to the program here at YSU. Mussolini finally denounced Hitler, and he still got it. This is why your media should stay out of things. I know Hannon is no longer in the news, but he still is the voice of the Penguins, and that requires "blind loyalty".

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 12:07:41 PM »
"Big Time" college football is populated by agents, mentors, hangers-on, and especially talented but pampered athletes who possess a strong sense of entitlement.  Tressel was well aware of this before he took that job.  He lied to the NCAA and covered up the transgressions not to enhance his already considerable wealth, but rather to deliver to Ohio State a chance at what it wanted the most: another mythical national title.  He got caught and the university, predictably, threw him under the bus.  Such is the fate of all "Big Time" coaches.

Selfishly, I hope this affair reduces the "Ohio State disease" that rose to epidemic levels in the Mahoning Valley after Tressel left for Columbus.  I know far too many people that abandoned their seats in Stambaugh stadium for a position in front of a television on autumn Saturdays.  Perhaps we can now reclaim some of these frontrunners, if Wolford can deliver.

IAA Fan,

Please explain to us how Hannon calling for the resignation of the football coach at OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY now mandates his ouster as the play-by-play man for YOUNGSTOWN STATE UNIVERSITY?

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
He is the only coach in NCAA history to win 100+ games at 2 different schools.  Pretty amazing.  You hate to see it end this way.
I do not dislike OHIO STATE but the media sure does cram OSU down your throat good or bad

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »
The Ohio State disease" is a normal reaction. There are three ways he could have left YSU:

1. A promotion.
2. A dismissal.
3. A retirement.

He took #1.

As to Hannon. It is as simple as I stated. I expect blind-loyalty from everything associated with YSU ...past and present. Hannon's opinions on OSU are irrelevant to me, as I am a YSU fan. However, well-intentioned or not, he wrote words and that is disloyal to the man that coached my team for 15-years, was my team's AD for 10, dropped .28 mil for the study center, and dropped 1 mil for the building that carries his name. Have you not ever heard the phrase "if you have nothing good to say about someone, then say nothing"? Hannon should have chose the latter. Hannon may not have directly bitten the hand that feeds him, but he did not restrain the dog either.