Author Topic: Ytown high  (Read 11457 times)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Ytown high
« on: March 30, 2011, 09:46:51 PM »
I did not see this coming, good idea

http://www.myvalleysports.com/content/headlines/story/City-Schools-to-Merge-Athletic-Programs/K_ALcZkrRE-33vEEmRmj0w.cspx

For the second time in the last five years the Youngstown City Schools are joining forces.  Youngstown East and crosstown rival Chaney are combining athletic programs into one.  The change could be in place as early as this fall.

According to the current revitalization plan released today, all sports at Chaney will cease to exist. A source close to the program tells MyValleySports.com the current coaching staff for the Youngstown East football team will remain in place with head coach Brian Shaner at the helm.

The kids coming over from Chaney will play the for the Panthers and follow that schedule.  There are even plans to change their home field as well.  The new site could be a renovated stadium at the old Rayen school or a new complex on the property at Youngstown East.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
Re: Ytown high
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »
Like Hathorn's ideas.

Wonder how Jimmy Vivo is reacting to this?

Come to Boardman Jim!
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
If East can keep the parochials from raiding all the talent in Youngstown City ...they could have some great teams!!!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »
I also like this idea.  It will "save" Chaney by removing the criminal element that has turned Chaney hallways into a war zone.  The key here is that a student must "test' into Chaney.  Nobody will admit this, but Chaney will become the "college prep" school while East evolves into the technical/reform school.

I doubt that East will ever become a force in football.  With the best students at Chaney, academic performance at East will be unimpressive.  This decision will actually strengthen the Catholic schools, especially Ursuline that is staying afloat by admitting plenty of non-Catholic, minority kids. If you are the parent of a talented Youngstown athlete who aspires to play in college, here are your options.  First, send the kid to East, the bad academic school, and hope for the best.  Second, make sure your kid "tests" into the STEM program at Chaney.  But then he must commute to the east side for every practice and probably won't be embraced by East students with open arms.  Third, use your voucher and send your kid to Ursuline.  Seems like a no-brainer to me. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »
this might sound stupid ...but how does the voucher system work..what amount are they and they are good at what times of schools?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
The voucher system began in Ohio only for Cleveland over a decade ago.  About five years ago, it spread to other urban districts, including Youngstown.  Here is how it works.  If you live in a district where test scores are very low (and Youngstown is the worst school district in Ohio,) you can send your kid to a private school (religious or nonsectarian) and pay for it with a voucher.  These vouchers are substantial, upwards of 5k, and basically cover most of the tuition costs at the private school. The state subtracts the costs of vouchers from the local district that students have opted out of.  This has drained financial resources out of the Youngstown public schools substantially.  In Youngstown, Youngstown Christian school attracts the most voucher kids, numbering well over half their total enrollment.  Ursuline has many voucher kids also; Mooney has some but substantially less.  The new Youngstown superintendent hopes that by restoring Chaney to a disciplined, strong academic school, he can slow down or halt the number of kids that use these vouchers.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:37:20 PM »
If East can keep the parochials from raiding all the talent in Youngstown City ...they could have some great teams!!!

Yep, state caliber teams.

Look for Fitch to get stronger and stronger in all sports.  Kids will be forming a line for the open enrollment option there.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:04:25 AM »
The new Youngstown superintendent hopes that by restoring Chaney to a disciplined, strong academic school, he can slow down or halt the number of kids that use these vouchers.

The problem is that, as I understand it, Chaney will be a non-college bound school ...focusing on arts ...not even fine arts. Most of these types of schools, in other areas, are the 'sports schools'. A bunch of courses that anyone can pass (outside of the state mandated curriculum). There needs to be more general college-bound studies on the west side, which is 90% of any school's enrollment (beyond second-year). So yes, Fitch will pick up 90%+ of these.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »
IAA Fan,

You are relying on a report that has it backwards.  Chaney will be the STEM school with the college prep curriculum.  They will also emphasize performing arts, perhaps that confused your source.  Most importantly, students will need to pass a test to enter Chaney; those that fail will automatically go to East. 

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »

Yep, state caliber teams.

Look for Fitch to get stronger and stronger in all sports.  Kids will be forming a line for the open enrollment option there.

Good point
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 11:14:48 PM »

I'll refine that very well said statement.

Ursuline has become the East/Chaney/Wilson/North/South/Rayen-All Star Team......plus a few catholic guys named Ohara....this is what Ursuline has become.........Our HS programs in Y-twon would be much better off if this was moderated by the Diocese.

Sure Mooney always got a kid or two each year from the city....they still do.

But they never get 40......like their friends on the North Side.

A casual view of each schools football programs....and the grade schools....their players attended (if included.....one school doesn't)....is all that needs to be said.

Ursuline won NOTHING at the regional or State level......until the demise of the Y-town public schools. And the "vouchers" they so expertly exploited.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:37:57 PM by Pizza »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 08:45:43 PM »

I'll refine that very well said statement.

Ursuline has become the East/Chaney/Wilson/North/South/Rayen-All Star Team......plus a few catholic guys named Ohara....this is what Ursuline has become.........Our HS programs in Y-twon would be much better off if this was moderated by the Diocese.

Sure Mooney always got a kid or two each year from the city....they still do.

But they never get 40......like their friends on the North Side.

A casual view of each schools football programs....and the grade schools....their players attended (if included.....one school doesn't)....is all that needs to be said.

Ursuline won NOTHING at the regional or State level......until the demise of the Y-town public schools. And the "vouchers" they so expertly exploited.

Good post~~~
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »
Well, in a similar note. I was telling my mother the other day that I no longer feel at home in Canfield. When I grew up there, it was farms, and a small city. The football team won a total of maybe 10-games in the entire four years I was there. Excellent baseball & Track. They also had the highest test scores for equivalency tests in the state. The police pulled anyone over going above 36mph. Now I feel like I my parents moved to Boardman:

Two places that sell alcohol, designer drugs, and a good football team.

As to the Parochial issue ...it happens everywhere. However, it is the public schools that use the vouchers. A Catholic education is very pricey. In Columbus it is Bishop Watterson and St. Frances DeSales. We also have male and female only schools. We have a new Grace (protestant) high schools that has become very large and is in a very large city just north of Columbus. They came into existence because of vouchers. We also have 3 prep academies. In fact YSu has taken players from them. In fact, Columbus has had a very successful voucher program for many years now. When you prepare a resume, it is more important for you to place St. Frances on there, than it would be a degree from Ohio State. It cost $2k more to attend a year of prep at SFH, than it does to attend a year at Ohio State $10k ...vs. $8k. They take care of each other at that school. Both of these schools (DeSales and Watterson) are in the city & get great athletes. They have XX number of vouchers, and get them. However, it is the larger public schools that use far more vouchers. The issue is not the Parochial schools in Ytown. It is the lack of quality public schools.