Poll

athletic Director should hire Dan Peters back as Head Men's Basketball Coach

Hire Dan Peters
4 (57.1%)
Hire former player
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: March 03, 2011, 03:55:27 PM

Author Topic: New Basketball Coach  (Read 18977 times)

Offline bball4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
New Basketball Coach
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:55:27 PM »
Youngstown State University Athletic Director should hire Dan Peters back as Head Basketball Coach. He is the only coach to win there in the last 15 years. he has been at Ohuio State University Natin Runner-ups the University of Cincinnati and has many recruiting ties. He has proven you can win there

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: New Basketball Coach
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:40:10 PM »
Hummmm, are you assuming that he would want the job, or do you know?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »
Dan Peters left primarily because he was frustrated coaching basketball at a football school where the athletic director was also the football coach.  So he would jump at the opportunity to return to the football school where the athletic director was a former football player for his old boss.  He would love to compete in the Horizon League with a lower recruiting budget than any rival.  He would enjoy trying to rebuild a program in this amazingly fertile basketball recruiting zone called the Mahoning Valley.  Yep, seem perfectly logical to me. :P

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
Hey, here is a thought, hire Peters back as the head BB coach and also make him the Athletic Director. New head coach with some wins, 1 guy covering two positions, heck should free up some cash for recruiting.

Poetic justice as it were!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:06:51 AM »
Hey, here is a thought, hire Peters back as the head BB coach and also make him the Athletic Director. New head coach with some wins, 1 guy covering two positions, heck should free up some cash for recruiting.

I like it  :)  Worked for Tressel  fb

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:00:35 PM »
Dan Peters left primarily because he was frustrated coaching basketball at a football school where the athletic director was also the football coach.  So he would jump at the opportunity to return to the football school where the athletic director was a former football player for his old boss.  He would love to compete in the Horizon League with a lower recruiting budget than any rival.  He would enjoy trying to rebuild a program in this amazingly fertile basketball recruiting zone called the Mahoning Valley.  Yep, seem perfectly logical to me. :P

I agree.  Pipe Dreams.  IP---weigh in on this please.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »

I always thought Peters did too much yelling and screaming, but if it gets rid of Strollo, I'm all for it.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »

I agree.  Pipe Dreams.  IP---weigh in on this please.
Lecter--I plead the 5th!! I'll comment after the season is over. I will say that Peters has neither the qualifications or desire to be an AD.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
Interesting poll question - not sure either is the right approach.  About the only former player I can think of that might even be remotely qualified is Joe Lombardi. 

And do we want another coach from IUP (Cindy Martin) or a Division II school in Pennsylvania?  I think it would be a hard sell.

Is there another former player I am not thinking of?

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »
For my years (47) of BB Coaches at YSU.

1.  Dom Rossellie is gone.........because of his dedication to YSU....hard to duplicate.
2.  Dan Peters....I'll hedge by...never approved of him....having said that...he left once
     why would he return??????
3.  Lombardi....what is his salary as an Assistant at Pitt...could we even match that
    which I have no idea what it is.
4.  WHO????  """WITH"""basketball talent, you know like making a free shot, or a simple
     lay up.......would want to come to YSU....because YSU has been in the dump yard for way
     too many years.  Rebuilding would take a "used car salesman" in my opinion.

All this I lay on the table.  To which I'll add a few questions.

How do you blame Coach Slocum for this??
How do you blame Ron Strollo for this??
Would you not question......did we advance to a division
that certainly is above our capabiliities?

Who is to blame for that????  I will rest my case with WHO is at fault.
It is my belief that this is the core of the problem.

Hopefully, we will live to see it turned around.

GO PENGUINS

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
Pita - Joe Lombardi is head coach at IUP (Indiana University Pennsylvania) 

http://www.iupathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=14&path=mbball

not sure what his salary is, but I recall the last time we looked at PSAC salaries vs YSU salary, there was not a large difference.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:14:38 PM »
Pita - Joe Lombardi is head coach at IUP (Indiana University Pennsylvania) 

http://www.iupathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=14&path=mbball

not sure what his salary is, but I recall the last time we looked at PSAC salaries vs YSU salary, there was not a large difference.

always thought he was the guy ex player from the general area...looks like he turned a program around from being on probation ...to one game from winning the natonal championship
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 08:13:10 PM »
Geez.......looked up Joe Lombardi on the Internet....listed as
Asst. to Pitt........Guess there could be more than one.
Thanks for the heads up.  Had not heard anything about hime
for quite sometime.....like back to his YSU days.....but then
it is difficult to remember all the X's when you've been at it for
so many years.

Thanks for the info.  But does it solve the situation???

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
Pita - I got the same old links to come up from when he was at Pitt.  Sometimes hard to tell what is current or not.

I am not even going to get in to the what is the problem or what should be done.  I know nothing but its gotten to the stage where I am just tired of it.

I started my comments in response to the poll.  If there is a change, I don't know that I would be comfortable with either of the options and I am just trying to understand whether there are any other former players I don't know about who would be qualified. 

Back to going outside and chipping away at the skating rink on my driveway.  How long until Spring?

Offline YSUalum

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 11:47:09 AM »
How about someone from the mid-major level who will come in and WORK the job?  A younger coach who has the energy to excite recruits, as well as the students and community.  There are plenty of guys out there like this who are in our region!  Guys like...

Greg Gary @ Duquesne:  http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gary_greg00.html

Bobby Steinburg @ Kent State: http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Bobby_Steinburg

Terry Weigand @ Akron: http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=47194&SPID=4338&DB_OEM_ID=10800&ATCLID=651734&Q_SEASON=2010

(sorry Dan Peters fans...Peters would be the first to admit that he didn't recruit well during his time in Youngstown...and I am not sure that at 57 years old, he would be hitting the recruiting trail very hard)

These are just a few regional guys who would probably jump at the opportunity to turn YSU basketball's fortunes around.