Author Topic: YSU to Name Ethan Faulkner MBB Coach!  (Read 7367 times)

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU to Name Ethan Faulkner MBB Coach!
« on: March 30, 2024, 05:50:39 PM »
As I see PapAttack posted on the other thread and is being reported on Twitter by Jon Rothstein:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1774184607996338390

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU to Name Ethan Faulkner MBB Coach!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 07:04:16 PM »
I think Ethan will do a good job . Hopefully he can maintain our current players and recruits and finalize the roster with some quality transfers. He seems like a serious person who will work really hard to be successful. At times I thought we got out coached this past year, for example Oakland both games by a very experienced coach Kampe. Hopefully Ethan can do a great job with all parts of the head coaching responsibility. I think he can.

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 08:50:32 PM »
Dynes’ dad was publicly advocating for Faulkner.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 11:25:52 PM »
The hire is a stretch if you ask me.  Not a ton of experience.  Doesn't mean he won't be successful. With such a quick decision it's almost as if this was the succession plan all along. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 11:44:35 PM »
The hire is a stretch if you ask me.  Not a ton of experience.  Doesn't mean he won't be successful. With such a quick decision it's almost as if this was the succession plan all along.

We had another Coach in mind but he turned us down. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 09:11:28 AM »
Realistically this level of D1 basketball is a stepping stone for coaches and players to bigger and better places. Watching the tournament teams have many kids that have transferred in from the mid majors and I’m sure the same is true for coaches.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 09:41:00 AM »
Realistically this level of D1 basketball is a stepping stone for coaches and players to bigger and better places. Watching the tournament teams have many kids that have transferred in from the mid majors and I’m sure the same is true for coaches.

Agree. It used to be just business and career decisions for the coaches to move up depending on their levels of success and accomplishments.
Because of NIL and liberalized NCAA transfer rules, this model has now also become applicable to players.
Unfortunately, the low to mid major schools now become the minor leagues or developmental leagues for the power 5 conferences.
It is difficult enough for mid major schools to compete with the big boys with basketball being the only revenue sport for these universities where majority of the budget could flow into basketball to keep it competitive.
It is even more difficult for schools like YSU where major funding is channeled into the football program.
I don’t see how things could improve unless enrollment at YSU could magically increase or some depth pocket donors are willing to write a big check to support the athletic programs.
The other option is to schedule more money games on the road to get more $$$ as what Cleveland State did years ago under Rollie Messamino (spelling?).

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 08:37:33 AM »
YSUGO  what is the name of the other coach?????

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 09:56:56 AM »

Bob Huggins 😂

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 12:24:30 PM »

Bob Huggins 😂

I think Huggins would of been a disaster hire.  He's a great basketball coach but his baggage and the fact that he's 70 years old probably would of been a quick fix at best.
It's all about recruiting whether it's HS guys or portal and hopefully Ethan can be that guy.  Hopefully YSU has some NIL money because if not sadily you can't compete.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 01:09:59 PM »

Bob Huggins 😂

I think Huggins would of been a disaster hire.  He's a great basketball coach but his baggage and the fact that he's 70 years old probably would of been a quick fix at best.
It's all about recruiting whether it's HS guys or portal and hopefully Ethan can be that guy.  Hopefully YSU has some NIL money because if not sadily you can't compete.

Agree, when I read this, the name Bo Pelini came to mind.
The nil $$ for mid major programs will be a real issue. I read an article yesterday reporting that Zach Eden of Purdue was ranked at #7 with nil of $800,000.
I wonder how much our guys were making in the last couple years.

Offline Pap_Attack95

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 03:14:50 PM »
It’s official Ethan Faulkner named Men’s Basketball Head Coach

https://x.com/ysumenshoops/status/1774876731934929125?s=46&t=uZKtf9BxUgUCFeEv1YRQYA

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 04:07:38 PM »
As planned.  When is the news conference?  I'm sure he is out recruiting so it may be time to get him to come back for a press conference.   Hopefully this week.  Good.move.

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 04:16:36 PM »
As planned.  When is the news conference?  I'm sure he is out recruiting so it may be time to get him to come back for a press conference.   Hopefully this week.  Good.move.

Wednesday.