Author Topic: Nit  (Read 1530 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Nit
« on: March 17, 2024, 10:14:28 PM »
As expected we weren't selected.  No team from horizon was selected as well.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Nit
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 11:43:37 PM »
No tournament for Guins.    None

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 06:13:29 AM »
The Horizon gets no respect,  I watched Duquesne win yesterday wonder if that league would be a good fit for an upgrade. If Dayton still in would be a good rival
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 08:45:41 AM »
The NIT turned into what we expected with a lot of the bigger school turning down invites so now they get a 15-16 Villanova team in and as a #1 seed.  There was no way YSU was getting in the NIT with the changes that were made

Cleveland St. is in the CBI tournament and PFW in the CIT tournament. 

From the sounds of it, YSU didn't want to participate in a post season tourney, the mindset sure changed from a few years ago when Coach Calhoun was all about it.

The whole thing is disappointing

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 10:03:58 AM »
The NIT turned into what we expected with a lot of the bigger school turning down invites so now they get a 15-16 Villanova team in and as a #1 seed.  There was no way YSU was getting in the NIT with the changes that were made

From the sounds of it, YSU didn't want to participate in a post season tourney, the mindset sure changed from a few years ago when Coach Calhoun was all about it.

According the news report, Calhoun didn’t want to participate into these tournaments. I don’t know what the real reason is. I guess it could have something to do with the budget. The other two teams don’t have football program expenditures. Calhoun also mentioned that the seniors are done. It could be due to the NIL agreements between the players and the university.
This new trend of portal transfer and NIL payments in NCAA has changed the landscape of college sports. Everything is about $$$. Watch the interview with Nick Saban on his view of NIL and its impact on the future of college sports and the players.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 10:16:38 AM »
The Horizon gets no respect,  I watched Duquesne win yesterday wonder if that league would be a good fit for an upgrade. If Dayton still in would be a good rival

Does the league deserve more respect? How many signature wins did the league get this year?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 10:33:48 AM »

I agree and I too am disappointed that YSU is not playing in one of these tournaments.   2nd place in the league should be rewarded.  I really liked the guys and wanted another chance to cheer them on in a competitive enviroment and it's kind of sad that from a selfish point of view I won't get a chance to see a player like DJ Burns compete.

If it's a budget problem then it should be explained by the administration.  Can't see it being a nil issue since all schools would have that criteria.  Hopefully it's not the case that YSU basketball feels that they have moved on from a c.i.t. type of tournament with their recent success which would be ridiculous since it's only been a few years within the last 40 or so as one of the worst in D1.

I'm thinking it's a financial decision which is a shame and shouldn't be a factor that punish the players who worked so hard and the fans who admire this program.   Maybe i'm nieve.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 AM »

I agree and I too am disappointed that YSU is not playing in one of these tournaments.   2nd place in the league should be rewarded.  I really liked the guys and wanted another chance to cheer them on in a competitive enviroment and it's kind of sad that from a selfish point of view I won't get a chance to see a player like DJ Burns compete.

If it's a budget problem then it should be explained by the administration.  Can't see it being a nil issue since all schools would have that criteria.  Hopefully it's not the case that YSU basketball feels that they have moved on from a c.i.t. type of tournament with their recent success which would be ridiculous since it's only been a few years within the last 40 or so as one of the worst in D1.

I'm thinking it's a financial decision which is a shame and shouldn't be a factor that punish the players who worked so hard and the fans who admire this program.   Maybe i'm nieve.

Boy you nailed all my thoughts exactly.

Is it a financial deal with the new bleacher improvements to Beeghly?

Is it the seniors didn't want to play?

Is it the disappointment is too large, too good now for one of these tourney or is it mutual amongst the players and coaches & school?

Combination of everything maybe.

But as you said selfishly I'm disappointed because I would like to see our guys continue to have the ability to compete and see how we stack up against other schools.   See Burns continue to add to his double-double numbers.

We beat Morgan St. at home, had a shot at beating Fresno St. on the road in the past and gave Oklahoma St. everything it wanted at home last year.

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 01:05:47 PM »
The visibility of the CBI and CIT is so low with the NCAA and NIT playing at the same time. Last year vs Oklahoma State was a great experience. As diminished as it is, it’s still the NIT. If you have a team with a lot of returning starters maybe the CBI and CIT are worth it. But with one and done seniors, it’s probably not worth the money. If the NCAA Tournament expands to 76 teams, maybe the NIT will bring back the mid-majors.