Author Topic: YSU Baseball  (Read 4278 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU Baseball
« on: March 02, 2024, 09:31:56 PM »
I know it's hard to compete with teams from warm climate in certain sports as I've experienced it myself.  However, 8 games into the season and YSU has been outscored 94-16.  I know they are playing up in competition but WOW!     

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Baseball
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 08:51:19 AM »
Baseball had another bad series at Georgia Tech loosing all 4 games. Three were stopped by the 10 run rule after 7 innings. Watching some of the games on ESPN+ was difficult. Our pitching is not up to that level of competition.  One game in 6 innings we gave up 17 walks! Now we have games Tuesday at Kent, Wednesday at Pitt, and Friday begins a 3 game League series. After using so many pitchers this past weekend, I don't think we have enough pichers who can make these games any where near competitive. Not sure what the issues are. I know we lost a good pitcher to Texas A&M. Not sure about any others. Maybe playing some northern team will make things better. I sure hope so.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 01:59:12 PM »
This is Bertolini's eighth season. I am shocked at how bad his pitching staff is, almost certainly the worst in program history by a large margin. Sure the schedule was way too ambitious, and we shall see how these guys compete in the league. But if your so-called pitchers can't throw strikes, you are doomed regardless of the competition.

I just wonder how long we can continue to waste money on an expensive program with little return. I love baseball but this is ridiculous.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 11:01:40 PM »
He will be fired at end of season mark my word. Better baseball coaches out there.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 11:34:35 AM »
I’m not saying keep him or let him go either way. But I am saying we seldom do any better than what we have have done this year and the first half of the season. And I can say he has contacts when if we ever had games of this stat or so many of them and one season?

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 07:02:01 PM »
Today's YSU Baseball final score:

Kent State 27
YSU 0

Wow!  Yes, baseball not football.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 11:12:29 PM »
There are two possible courses of action here.

First, show this clown the door and try, again, to hire a real baseball coach.

Second, extinguish baseball and add soccer. That would be an abomination but Horizon League rules require the men's programs to play either baseball or soccer along with basketball.

There would be some advantages to choosing soccer: no need to rent an outside facility, vastly less expensive equipment costs, smaller rosters easily filled with the large supply of fourth-rate high school athletes who play this game in the Mahoning Valley, and the termination of embarrassment (nobody would give a rat's butt if a male soccer team lost every game that they played.)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 10:38:05 PM »
Baseball won today at Pitt 7 - 6 in 10 innings! First win of the year after 14 or more losses. And not too many walks like in most other games. Maybe we have a few pitchers who can throw strikes and get some people out.  The defense is adequate although there are many stollen bases. But the walks and then the hits are really out of line for too many of our pitchers.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 02:04:20 PM »
Baseball won again 4 - 2, against Purdue Fort Wayne. Only 4 walks and the starting pitcher, Jacob Gehring, went 8 strong innings giving up 4 hits and 3 walks. That kind of pitching gives you a chance to win. That is 2 in a row after starting 0 - 15!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 11:52:28 PM »
Not doubt, they can only go u from here! 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 07:16:29 AM »
Thanks for the updates on the team
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2024, 10:07:14 AM »
We lost the second game of the Fort Wayne series, 13-3, and the third game, 18-5. And like us, Fort Wayne is considered a bottom feeder in this six team league. Prepare for two more months of embarrassing results.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2024, 01:01:16 PM »
The Bad News Penguins

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2024, 07:45:10 PM »
This weekend started good with a 4 - 2 win on Friday. Usually each team uses their top pitcher and we win.

Game on Saturday. Usually your 2nd best pitcher and we lose by 10 run rule after 7 innings 13 - 3! They got 19 hits and 1 walk to our 4 hits and 3 walks.

Sunday with the next pitcher and again we lose by a 10 run rule after 8 innings 18 - 5. They got 16 hits and 10 walks and we get 7 hits and 6 walks!

It sure looks like we are over matched. The pitching is especially weak, the hitting not that great, and the defense average at best. For sure we need better players if we are to compete. There is the portal, recruiting, the off campus facility, the budget, coaching, etc.  I sure don't know the inside of the program to know what is the issue, but this is embarrassing.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2024, 04:58:14 PM »
Weekend summary against Oakland.  Win on Friday 3 - 2. Jacob Gehring again had a strong outing with 7 innings and 2 relievers. Allow 5 hits, 4 walks, and 1 hit batter.

Double hitter on Sunday. Both blowout losses by 10 run rule, one 6 innings and a 2nd needed a few batters in the 7th to get to the 10 run rule. First game 14 - 1. They had only 7 hits but had 10 walks and 4 hit batters along with 5 of our errors. Second game 13 - 3. They had 13 hits, 8 walks and 3 hit batters along with 3 errors for us.

It looks like we only have a chance with our top pitcher, Jacob Gehring. Trouble beyond that and we don't score many runs and make more than a few errors.