Author Topic: NCAA Playoffs Week 2: YSU at Villanova Saturday 12/2 at 12pm  (Read 10054 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Playoffs Week 2: YSU at Villanova Saturday 12/2 at 12pm
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2023, 02:40:37 PM »
Weenie coaching staff. Have said it all along. They are a bunch of D2 and D3 caliber coaches led by a high school principal. This program is irrelevant

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2023, 03:02:58 PM »
The sad thing is there are alot of very good D2 and D3 coaches in Ohio and Pennsylvania.  Unfortunately our vetting process is who know not what you know.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2023, 03:10:55 PM »
Reality!  Who did we beat??????   Valpo, Dukes, and RMU!  Other than that a good SIU team, and TWO MVC teams we were expected to beat!  We are a long way from being even close to what we used to be! Not even CLOSE!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2023, 03:15:43 PM »
Why didn't they put Brungard in at the end to get him game experience throwing and not to run?  We do have alot coming back but the QB position is not good at all with Mitch leaving.   I think King may have another year from what I hear .   We battled but too much Villanova

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2023, 03:25:36 PM »
We open with this team next year. This along with the money game we could easily enter league play with 2 losses.  Tough to make playoffs with 2 ooc losses.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2023, 04:22:53 PM »
The sad thing is there are alot of very good D2 and D3 coaches in Ohio and Pennsylvania.  Unfortunately our vetting process is who know not what you know.

Our oc lacks creativity and our dc is incompetent. I agree that there are a sufficient number of talented x and o coaches in the midwest that are making less than we pay our assistants today.  Find them and hire them. These defensive MISTAKES and BREAKDOWNS cannot continue!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2023, 04:30:36 PM »
Why didn't they put Brungard in at the end to get him game experience throwing and not to run?  We do have alot coming back but the QB position is not good at all with Mitch leaving.   I think King may have another year from what I hear .   We battled but too much Villanova

There's no way that Brungard can be the starting quarterback and why is she remain competitive. He doesn't have the size.  I like the kid but I just don't think he's our guy.

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2023, 05:19:33 PM »
YSU needs to stop the BS that they don’t have money. Pay people well and your team will get better coaching. Phillips has a good thing going but if YSU insists on paying assistants $40k-$50k then you’ll always have young under qualified people as assistant coaches.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2023, 05:53:59 PM »
We lost to a better team, I need to ponder the game and the season.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2023, 08:45:29 PM »
The defense is just awful.  Villanova had 19 first downs and 466 yards.  The average completion for them was 22 yards and average rush attempt was 6 yards.  Say what u want about developing players but we need to recruit speed and athleticism to compete and close the gap. 

Offline ysu1982

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2023, 09:43:41 PM »
I doubt YSU would have won, but the turning point of the game was when YSU punted from Villanova 35-yard line. You cannot coach scared. Ask Ryan Day.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2023, 12:00:15 AM »
I doubt YSU would have won, but the turning point of the game was when YSU punted from Villanova 35-yard line. You cannot coach scared. Ask Ryan Day.
LOL... Makes no sense when u went for it on 4th and 6 and scored a TD to take the lead.  Anyway, makes no sense in 2023 and under the circumstances all of the BAD game management is ON Philips and NO ONE ELSE.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2023, 01:49:34 AM »
Im not gonna say DP is THE guy, because I don’t know if he is. But please stop with the “principal” or “plenty of D2/3 coaches” crap. You’re making yourselves look silly.  You act like we never went 33-28 over 4 years, and 21-24 in 4 of 5 years, or lost to Butler with not just a D2 high school principal, BUT rather a POWER 5 coach.  By your logic, we should have had 4-star recruits and back to back championships from 2014-2019 with said-type of coach.  Except, we had ALL of that.  And last I checked, BP doesn’t have an education degree nor did he ever coach at the D2/2 level.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2023, 06:43:55 AM »
Im not gonna say DP is THE guy, because I don’t know if he is. But please stop with the “principal” or “plenty of D2/3 coaches” crap. You’re making yourselves look silly.  You act like we never went 33-28 over 4 years, and 21-24 in 4 of 5 years, or lost to Butler with not just a D2 high school principal, BUT rather a POWER 5 coach.  By your logic, we should have had 4-star recruits and back to back championships from 2014-2019 with said-type of coach.  Except, we had ALL of that.  And last I checked, BP doesn’t have an education degree nor did he ever coach at the D2/2 level.

Nice post.

I agree.

We should finish in the top 16 this year.  Let's say we finish 16th.  That puts us in the 88th percentile of all FCS teams.  We weren't competitive a few years ago. 

One last thing......I have a lot of respect for Bob Hannon's take with regard to FCS football.  He's exceptionally knowledgeable.  He not a casual fan by any means.  If you listen to his broadcasts he hints to everyone the talent depth and future of YSU football under Phillips and most of it is positive.

Everyone here should have known that when we played teams like USD and SDSU (both of them are still playing in the final 8) we were unable to get pressure on their QB and as a result they had all day to throw and make our defense look incompetent.  We are a couple of players away and another year of development away from fixing this issue.  I didn't understand how people can think you flip a switch with a coach and you get the best team in the country that plays the way you remember in the 1990's.  It's going to take time to build it right.  And as I've said before, we've gotten better under Phillips every single year.

Good take.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2023, 08:37:06 AM »
Nice, a couple of common-sense posts. I agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne