Author Topic: Missouri State Week  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Missouri State Week
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2023, 01:04:05 AM »
Need to tighten up on the tacking, and stop calling bonehead pass plays when it is obvious we need to run!  Third and one on our side of the field drove me nuts when we passed, and had two stud running backs to cram down the opposition's throats!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2023, 07:25:36 AM »
What is interesting about the defense is when they really needs big play, they usually get it.

We need to figure out how to win on the road this week.  Indiana State is no joke.  They should have beaten UND.

The SDSU game is probably going to be thr most significant game in many years. Start getting the world out about getting the community to that game

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2023, 07:57:06 AM »
Need to tighten up on the tacking, and stop calling bonehead pass plays when it is obvious we need to run!  Third and one on our side of the field drove me nuts when we passed, and had two stud running backs to cram down the opposition's throats!

I think some of that was intentional.  It's to help throw of statistical tendencies and force the opposing coaching staff to watch ALL of the film vs look at statistics and then validate them through the film.

However, I agree, it was nerve-wracking to watch us throw in 3rd and 1

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2023, 11:50:27 AM »
Nice win, we did what we had to do. D just is not where it needs to be, moments of looking good but still needs to step up. O looked good for most of the game but some of the play calls drive me crazy. Couple of times 3rd and 1 and we pass, especially the last time near the end of the game where we needed to be running time off the clock. No run game to speak of.

Zebras were very very bad. Did not favor one team over the other, spread their ineptness to both teams. Not sure what they get paid but it is too much.

Agree on refs. They were inept. Penalties just seemed to be random. Missed a ton of calls and made phantom penalties. Very poor.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2023, 02:27:03 PM »
The refs were definitely bad yesterday. Calls and no calls and on either team. I assume our number 45 who was ejected for targeting will be available next week. I don't understand that call or targeting in general anymore.

As for our offense we are doing very well. I think MSU tried to stop our run game, but the pass game was there. Mitch is doing very well and to think he was behind Waid and the 3 star qb from Upper Arlington! Too bad the coaches didn't realize what he was about years earlier. Not sure if it was favoring recruits instead of a lowly walk-on or wanting a running qb instead of a pure passer. I went to scrimmages and my small group always thought Mitch was the best of the group. Much like Hunter Wells of Bo Pellini fame. He was not even taken on trips in our championship season and later in the season took us to the championship game. And our receivers are outstanding with number 2 and 0 leading the way. And our one two punch at rb is really good.

Now for our Defense. Really not up to playoff caliber. I think it is both personnel and scheme for our personnel. We can't cover 1 on 1 on the best receivers and with a four man rush we get no pressure. Even our blitz packages are not very effective. Need dramatic improvement to just win 2 of our last 3. SDSU looks really tough and to be in that game major improvement is needed. Not sure that is possible.

Special teams are ok. Kick offs are short, but covered well most of the time. Punting is ok to better than ok. Punt block needs to be strategically employed and not in certain situations. Seemed to be slowed down this past game which was smart. Field goal kicking is turning into a definite strength I never saw coming. Glad for our number 24 who seems to have both accuracy and range and no fear in difficult situations. A definite asset in close games.

Coaching is at times questionable. But they are young and will hopefully learn from the mistakes.  We will see in the final 3 games which could be 3 - 0 or 0 - 3.  Best guess is 2 - 1, but maybe we have a miracle up our sleave.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2023, 11:39:19 PM »
I agree with much of 68's analysis. What is most disappointing to me is the failure of the defense to improve over the course of the season. In fact we are regressing, now giving up long runs in addition to our problems with pass defense.

Remember that Wolford changed ineffective defensive coordinators quite often during his tenure here. They all failed. Is it better, as 68 implies, to allow young coaches to grow and develop? I don't know. It is just awful when you realize that an AVERAGE YSU defense, combined with this dynamic offense, would have made this season really special.

On that targeting call, the replay on the video board did show that #45 led with his helmet. He did not cause helmet-to-helmet contact, but technically he broke the college rule, stupid as that rule is. It was actually one of the few calls that dreadful crew got right. The incident happened in the first half, so #45 is good to go this week.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2023, 10:01:43 AM »
As I recall Wolford hired defensive coordinators that were experienced but had failed at their previous job. They came here and failed again. With salaries what they are in coaching today, assistants at most FBS schools make significantly more than our head coach, let alone our assistants. So we are in a spot where upcoming D2 or D3 assistants are where we have a chance at success. We can't attract really strong experienced candidates; can't afford them. Tressel was much the same. Remember our offensive coordinator, JK, who was the offensive coordinator in name only. Failed in future jobs. But also remember our D coordinators, an unproven Mark Dantonio or John Heacock, both of whom were really good. I think we need to develop coaches, but they need to be under the guidance of the head coach before letting them go and get what we have on D this year.

Our defense is a weak spot. It is either coaching or personnel. Injuries seem to be minimal this year on D. At the very least if we had a known weakness in personnel on D, we should have gotten help from the portal, much like we did at running back. In today's world of college athletics, I think the portal needs to be used to supplement what personnel weaknesses you have to be really good.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2023, 10:44:53 AM »
As I recall Wolford hired defensive coordinators that were experienced but had failed at their previous job. They came here and failed again. With salaries what they are in coaching today, assistants at most FBS schools make significantly more than our head coach, let alone our assistants. So we are in a spot where upcoming D2 or D3 assistants are where we have a chance at success. We can't attract really strong experienced candidates; can't afford them. Tressel was much the same. Remember our offensive coordinator, JK, who was the offensive coordinator in name only. Failed in future jobs. But also remember our D coordinators, an unproven Mark Dantonio or John Heacock, both of whom were really good. I think we need to develop coaches, but they need to be under the guidance of the head coach before letting them go and get what we have on D this year.

Our defense is a weak spot. It is either coaching or personnel. Injuries seem to be minimal this year on D. At the very least if we had a known weakness in personnel on D, we should have gotten help from the portal, much like we did at running back. In today's world of college athletics, I think the portal needs to be used to supplement what personnel weaknesses you have to be really good.

My observation is that the DL needs someone that forces a double team every single play.  That will open it up for others to get in there and disrupt.  This would take all of the pressure off of the secondary and the LB's. 

We were very good against SIU because their OL wasn't very big.  I bet that had a 265 lb OL and we were able to get past him and disrupt.  It forced SIU to give him help, which freed up everyone else; the result was 7 sacks and no time to make great throws. 

To me we need a special DL that is super disruptive against any team.  That would help tremendously.   That being said, I'm sure that we don't know our injury situation very well either.  Who knows what ailments they are dealing with at this point.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2023, 11:07:30 AM »
Defense stinks so don't sugar coat anything.  We have regressed the past few games and over the course of the season.   Our defensive backs get no help from the D-line as the D-line gets no pressure on the QB whatsoever.
The offense is strong and needs to outscore teams rest of the way.  Indiana state is no pushover and so is Murry state as both are on the road.   We need to outscore them to win because the defense is not going to suddenly improve 9 games into the season.  Nope isn't going to happen.  Phiilips needs to think of a new DC at the end of the year.  Teams are now running on us and passing on us at will.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2023, 11:13:36 AM »
Defense is not that talented because we cannot use youth as an excuse as the entire league is full of under classman.  We just don't have the talent or coaching or combination of both to ever get into the playoffs.
I wouldn't be surprised if we get a game from Indiana State and Murry State.  We need to win those games at least because we never match up well with the Jackrabbits as they are bigger and faster than us.  Don't be surprised we get upset against Ind. state/Murray state.  Just saying We struggle on the road this year