Author Topic: Ohio State Week  (Read 6635 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ohio State Week
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2023, 07:12:10 PM »
So I'm very confused. I must have watched a different game. I thought the Defensive line did fine. I also think our offense is fine! If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot with play calling or taking our QB (Davidson) out to sub in another QB when we are driving and have an int thrown...

I didn't like the penalties we need to clean that up, but besides that I'm pretty happy with how the players played. Obviously would love to win and score more... but I'll take what we had.

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ohio State Week.
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2023, 07:14:05 PM »
Guess I see this game completely different.  It was fairly obvious if Ohio St could have scored more if they wanted
We had no answer for Harrison.
Henderson could have had a bigger hand to if he was allowed.
That being said we played hard. My concern is we don’t have a player that can hit the home run on offense.   
We have s good punter.  Still think our offensive  coordinator is below average. 
I think we got out without any major injuries.
And yes we scored a td.  So that gives Philips a heads up on Heacock in money games!
I feel if we dont lose to who we not supposed to.  Playoffs can be realistic

Uhh, you had to mention Heacock.  Those money games in '05 against Pitt and '07 and '08 against the Buckeyes, it looked like we were not even trying.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2023, 07:17:36 PM »
I think that our pass rush, even with blitzing, did not work and their qb just stood back and looked for an open receiver. Our qb sure didn't have that option. Our secondary looked out of position and at times the coverage scheme with our zone coverage fell apart. Man coverage is difficult with the caliber of receivers they have and the time the qb had. They could have thrown long all day if we stayed in that coverage. In the 2nd half with number 11 back, we were able to play more man coverage which I think worked better than our poor zone coverage. Not sure if we have any other dbs to improve on coverage. Did they take it easy on us in the 2nd half? Probably some trying to get their 2nd string qb playing time. Who knows. I wonder what Mitch Davidson could do as their qb today. With all that time I think he would be very good also.

On offense we did ok and for sure Tyshon needs to be our primary running back. He is head and shoulders better than the others. And as I understand it, has another year of eligibility.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2023, 08:37:20 PM »
I think that our pass rush, even with blitzing, did not work and their qb just stood back and looked for an open receiver. Our qb sure didn't have that option. Our secondary looked out of position and at times the coverage scheme with our zone coverage fell apart. Man coverage is difficult with the caliber of receivers they have and the time the qb had. They could have thrown long all day if we stayed in that coverage. In the 2nd half with number 11 back, we were able to play more man coverage which I think worked better than our poor zone coverage. Not sure if we have any other dbs to improve on coverage. Did they take it easy on us in the 2nd half? Probably some trying to get their 2nd string qb playing time. Who knows. I wonder what Mitch Davidson could do as their qb today. With all that time I think he would be very good also.

On offense we did ok and for sure Tyshon needs to be our primary running back. He is head and shoulders better than the others. And as I understand it, has another year of eligibility.

Day wanted to score more points.  It would have eased the fan base.  But there's a continuity issue playing 2 QB's if not handled correctly and it appears to be part of it.

Here's the impressive part.  The Penguins held Ohio State to 7 points in the second half.  AND the possessed the Ball for all but about 4 minutes of Q3.  While we were running the clock down to shorten the game, Ohio State couldn't get the penguins off the field.  Our running game looked outstanding against their star studded defense.  King did a hell of a job (as well as our other backs).  But king made some big plays on 3rd down to convert.  Were we ever a threat to score?  Maybe if Brungard would have gotten a little more on his pass, we could have a 14 points.

However, the turning point of the game occured in Q2 with 8 mins remaining.  The roughing the passer call on the sideline was bad.  Not only that, but the penguins held them on Third down after Ohio State was called for holding.  We should have gotten the ball back there.  Now, I don't think there was a reasonable chance we would have won that game, but they would have kicked a FG and we were moving the ball well at that point in the game.  Could have scored 21 on them but they could have probably scored more without all the QB substitution.

Overall, I feel good about how they showed out.  The score wasn't indicative of the fits we gave them. We should be very good at our level.

Watching the Montana State vs SDSU game.  Montana State looks legitimate.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2023, 08:48:19 PM »
One other thought.....the penalties we committed like  delay of game, off sides etc.  Absolutely killed us.  They killed our drives and they killed our defensive stops.  We HAVE to clean that up immediately.  No excuses for those stupid penalties.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2023, 09:22:29 PM »
Some thoughts….

Interesting game and can’t be too mad about how it finished. Yes 35-7 is never good but considering the legitimacy of OSU, this was good. We played hard and competed. I also think we were down our starting CB for the first half, correct? I think if Davidson stays in on the one drive where Beau throws a pick we at least have a chance at 10. I disagree with on of the previous comments about not having a HR threat. I disagree. I think King is explosive enough & we have 3 WRs I think can break a game open staring with Oliver. King should get 15-20 touches. It’s nice to see a balanced offense with Mitch at the helm. Beau looks gritty but I worry his size will not hood up in MVFC if he is to be the starter next year.
Did anyone else heart drop into their stomach when they saw Oliver’s knee bend like that? sigh of relief when he got up on his own and hobbled it off. If this team doesn’t shoot itself in the foot i think 9-2 or 8-3 are very realistic expectations.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2023, 10:20:32 PM »
We were outgained 464 to 234.  12 first downs to 23.  We ran the clock to at least 10 seconds to keep them off the field.  The new rules now the NCAA runs the clock to thd findl 2 mins of the half instead of stopping the clock at every first down.  So yes the score could have bern worse but again it wax obvious The Buckeyes were working on different situations with their offense.  As for thd rb King.  He’s no Webb Mason or Jaleel.  But he again I saw a lot of good things I think Tomzak a x the other WR The will help us because other teams will try to double Oliver.
After we got down by 21 we went really conservative and werent really trying to score.  What were your guys thoughts on Brungard.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2023, 06:56:43 AM »
At least the money is kept in state this time around with this game!

That is one good thing.

Score does not matter, learn from the game, do not get hurt, get ready for the next game.

Check, check, check get ready for Bobby!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2023, 06:59:38 AM »
One thing I observed in Q3 and spilling into Q4.   Here's YSU's stats against their defense:
1.  11 plays 40 yards 7:36 interception
2.  3 plays 7 yards 2:21 Punt
3. 6 plays 28 yards 4:08 Punt

In Q4 Ohio State took the ball on a 13 play 81 yard drive and YSU forced them to turn it over on downs.

YSU responded with a 10 play 89 yard drive that ended in downs.

While they did have the QB rotation going on, we played them even in Q4.  That's saying a lot because they really didn't take their starters out.

You don't ever expect an FCS team to be competitive late in the game, but we were competitive and didn't look fatigued.  Part of that was how the coaching staff used the new clock rule to their advantage, shortening the game.  But on the flip side of that, we were nearly 60 plays into the game and still holding up.   We played a lot of players and there wasn't a big drop off. So we saw kids in good shape for the season and some depth we haven't had in a long time.  This is super exciting, because we have a lot of promise/potential this year.  I can see it.

If you went back and watched the Appalachian State upset if Michigan, you would see how exhausted the players were on App State.....they were making shoestring low probability plays and willing their way to a win toward the end of the game.

YSU didn't look tired against Ohio State. YSU didn't look like they were in the same kind of struggle App State was in late in the game.  In fact we look like we belonged there to a large degree. Whoever is training and physically developing these kids is doing a great job. That coach needs to be highlighted at some point. The Penguins didn't look fatigued and they were converting 3rd-N- medium and 3rd-N- short on the ground, up the middle and off tackle in Q4. 

Ohio State wanted to get us off the field to cover the spread and they couldn't. Ryan Day is taking heat over this game by the fan base.  They were expecting a Major blowout.  Think about this for a moment: OHIO STATE's defense couldn't get YSU off the field in Q3 and especially Q4..

YSU's secondary won't see that caliber of receivers the remainder of the season.  That being said, we need to fix the blown coverage issues in the secondary.

I am happy with how well we moved Ohio State's  DL.  The OL gets the game ball to me.

By the way, isn't this how the old Tressel teams won games? Remember the OL in comparison to our level of competition at the time?  The road graders would help us get those "championship drives" late in games where we had to possess the ball.  We may have that kind of OL this year.  With our skill at receiver and our RB room.  We will be dangerous this year.

But we have to stop the penalties.  It cost us drives against Ohio State
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 07:30:21 AM by penguinpower »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2023, 09:28:37 AM »
My main criticism for the last couple years had been on us starting the wrong QB. I am still in the opinion that, if we started Davis last year, we could very well have made it to the playoff.

The future of the college game might need to start putting more emphasis on the transfer portal. Sanders got large number of new players this year via transfer portal in Colorado and he instantaneous turns the program around by beating TCU and Nebraska in the first two game.

With the exposure of the OSU game, we might able to get a few 1A transfers next year. I hope the bench warmers at OSU were paying attention to this game.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2023, 02:04:33 PM »
I believe that Tyshon King should be the #1 back.  He is better than Dra by a long shot

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2023, 04:55:08 PM »
Guess I see this game completely different.  It was fairly obvious if Ohio St could have scored more if they wanted
That being said we played hard. My concern is we don’t have a player that can hit the home run on offense.   
We have s good punter.  Still think our offensive  coordinator is below average. 
And yes we scored a td.  So that gives Philips a heads up on Heacock in money games!

Uhh, you had to mention Heacock.  Those money games in '05 against Pitt and '07 and '08 against the Buckeyes, it looked like we were not even trying.

Any point to that comment? Are you saying that simply trying harder would have given YSU a victory over OSU in any year? Guess you are just attacking a former HC that you do not like and talking about a completely different era of college ball. Just remember that Tressel coming from YSU and Heacock giving the Buckeyes a dummy team was what gave us the games in the first place. When you are looking for a payout, you give them what they want. Now they look at all games at the FBS level. Back when we first played OSU, the NCAA did not even care ... it was a payday and nothing more. Should still be the same now. No one could believe we got a 3-game 1.5 mil deal with OSU. That was unheard of, and JT gave it to us with certain concessions ... vanilla play be one of those. Different world today. We all know OSU could have put up 100 against us. My gosh their QB dropped the ball into the end-zone at well over 50-yards per strike, twice ... with ease. Then again, for YSU to drive down the field for a score and then force a punt was so much more than I could have hoped for.

That being said, we were composed and competitive in or execution, just thoroughly out matched. Unfortunately, Oliver was more outmatched than I expected him to be.  Agree on King, he is our back ... by far. That was evident last week as well. I sure worry about next year. No TB and no QB. But with the portal, let's just try to maximize this year. When we were in the early stages of the game, line play by YSU was outstanding. I am impressed!  Davidson again shows no fear and slings that ball like a veteran.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 10:27:37 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2023, 05:23:14 PM »
I believe that Tyshon King should be the #1 back.  He is better than Dra by a long shot
Could not agree more.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2023, 05:56:53 AM »
This is an OSU-YSU thread. Plenty of other places to put threads on other things. There is even a board for it.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2023, 07:40:08 AM »

Any point to that comment? Are you saying that simply trying harder would have given YSU a victory over OSU in any year? Guess you are just attacking a former HC that you do not like and talking about a completely different era of college ball. Just remember that Tressel coming from YSU and Heacock giving the Buckeyes a dummy team was what gave us the games in the first place. When you are looking for a payout, you give them what they want. Now they look at all games at the FBS level. Back when we first played OSU, the NCAA did not even care ... it was a payday and nothing more. Should still be them same now. No one could believe we got a 3-game 1.5 mil deal. That was unheard of, and JT gave it to us with certain concessions. Different world today. We all know OSU could have put up 100 against us. My gosh their QB dropped the ball into the end-zone at well over 50-yards per strike, twice. The again, for YSU to drive down the field and then force a punt was so much more than I could have hoped for.

That being said, we were composed and competitive in or execution, just thoroughly out matched. Unfortunately, Oliver was more outmatched than I expected him to be.  Agree on King, he is our back ... by far. That was evident last week as well. I sure worry about next year. No TB and no QB. But with the portal, let's just try to maximize this year. When we were in the early stages of the game, line play by YSU was outstanding. I am impressed!  Davidson again shows no fear and slings that ball like a veteran.

Tyshon King has another year of eligibility after this year... I am thinking he comes back to play next year, but time will tell.