Author Topic: Calhoun  (Read 4608 times)

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Calhoun
« on: March 09, 2023, 02:16:03 PM »
Watched Northern Kentucky’s head coach Darrin Horn’s comments following his victory over YSU. Before Horn took any questions, he congratulated YSU on their season and said emphatically that Jarrod Calhoun was the deserving Coach of the Year. He said YSU should extend his contract and give him a large raise for the job he has done at YSU.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Calhoun
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 06:30:36 PM »
Although true, comments like that don't help YSU.  Like I said before he'll likely be approached by a university this off season that can easily triple his current compensation. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 10:32:40 PM »
Yep.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 10:37:13 PM »
Well then!  No one would blame him for leaving!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 10:47:26 PM »
Maybe we should double his salary rt now

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 06:55:40 AM »
I wonder how much more we made in ticket sales after folks figured out that the team was pretty good.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 07:25:16 AM »
My guess is alot more ticket sales.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 08:41:57 AM »
Coach just signed a 5-year contract in August so I'm sure he got a raise.

I honestly don't think he's going anywhere yet.  I think he'll wait until the Huggins is done at WVU and have a good shot at replacing him.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 10:08:09 AM »
Agree with your post Mudclods.  I think he is waiting for Huggins to retire or step down.  Job would be his due to the connections

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 11:01:25 AM »
Coach just signed a 5-year contract in August so I'm sure he got a raise.

I honestly don't think he's going anywhere yet.  I think he'll wait until the Huggins is done at WVU and have a good shot at replacing him.

Remember that Tressel coached here for 15 years and passed on numerous opportunities to take a P5 job.  He was rewarded for his sustained success with his dream job.  The WVU scenario that you laid out is certainly plausible.

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 03:27:52 PM »
     Is Calhoun deserving of job offers from better basketball schools or a pay increase from YSU to keep him here?

Calhoun's record in six years at YSU is 96 wins and 95 losses.  The real record is 82 - 95 when you deduct games played against D2 and D3 competition, who we had no business scheduling in the first place.  Granted he did not inherit a thriving program.  On the other hand, it took him six years to bring the Penguins to the middle of the pack of D1 basketball. 

The 2022 - 2023 record, 24 - 9, adds insight.  It was against a strength of schedule rating of Sagarin 308.  There are 363 Division 1 basketball teams.  The highest rated opponent we played was Notre Dame, at 120.  Our best victory was against Northern Kentucky, at 158.  Ten of the wins were against cupcakes, bottom dwellers and D3.

Westminster (D3)
Grace Christian (D3)
UC San Diego 277 (8 - 20)
Southern 294 (13 - 17)
Tennessee - Martin 302 (15 - 14)
Central Michigan 326 (9 - 21)
IUPUI (twice) 353 (3 - 27)
Green Bay (twice) 362 (3 - 29)

Canisius (9 - 20) and Western Illinois (13 - 14) were not much better.  The Horizon League games were what they had to be.  The others were not. 

In the biggest game of the year, he was outcoached by Northern Kentucky's Darrin Horn, unprepared for their game strategy, and slow to react.  We all saw it. 

Calhoun has more to prove at YSU before another team throws money at him.   

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 03:58:15 PM »
If the athletic department’s goal for Calhoun was to stir interest in a moribund basketball program, he has exceeded expectations. I can’t remember the sustained interest in YSU basketball, albeit for just over a month, by the student body. I went to my first YSU game in 1974 when Elite Eight and Top Ten Pitt filled Beeghley. But even then there wasn’t a student section.We have filled Beeghley here and there since, but usually for an ESPN game.  This year is the first year our games had the feel of a bonafide college  basketball program. But as I posted earlier in the season, Calhoun really hasn’t had a signature win in his six years. If NKU reaches the Sweet 16, the NKU beat down at Beeghley this season would be his first. His strength has been his ability to recruit which is 75% of a team’s success. The 25% coaching, which is essential in tournament play, has been lacking.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 04:07:14 PM »
I have heard a rumor that Calhoun is going to be an assistant coach with the Boston Celtics.  The dots certainly connect.  The Celtics just took the interim tag off of Coach Joe Mazzulla. Joe worked as an assistant for Calhoun at Fairmont and then was the head coach at Fairmont when Calhoun left and came here.  It's not far-fetched to believe that this rumor might be true.   I heard this information from someone who knows them both in Fairmont WV. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 04:21:37 PM »
Can't and won't argue the strength-of-schedule YSU has played under Calhoun or any of his predecessors.  Bottom line, the trajectory of this doormat program is upward.  Don't be naive and think someone won't take a chance on the guy.  Not to mention, it seems as though he has many contacts in the industry and uses them to his benefit.   

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2023, 04:26:16 PM »
Good post chez,

I think that coach has done a good job but not quite ready for the big time yet. Not sure what he makes since the extension but he needs to be paid as much as his peers.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne