Author Topic: NKU  (Read 10276 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NKU
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2023, 10:08:40 AM »
I agree with much of what has been said. Many factors contributed to the loss and the poor play on our part. One of the biggest issues I think is the result of the problems at the end of the Detroit game. I saw an apology from YSU to Detroit and I know the Detroit coach talked to a Horizon League official after the game. It seemed to me that our team and coach were down for the game and didn't have the energy level that they normally have. Who knows what went on behind closed doors at YSU, the Horizon League, and the officials’ meetings. DC was not himself with the smiles and talking to the fans and refs. And I think the refs were told to keep an eye on the YSU team to keep them in line. The foul disparity was large and the last foul on DC was sure a charge to me, and with over 5 minutes to go in the game it was huge. And Dwayne's reaction after the call was not Dwayne at all.

Other problems were a lack of a game plan offensively and defensively against a well know opponent. The injury to Malek Green which hurt our inside game on offense and defense. Our lack of a bench to replace Malek. And our players did not step up in such a big game. Our inside problems on defense and rebounding were sure apparent. With all of that we were down only 4 with about 4 minutes to go! And if we had Dwayne, our clutch guy, we had a good chance to win.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2023, 10:29:54 AM »
I agree with much of what has been said. Many factors contributed to the loss and the poor play on our part. One of the biggest issues I think is the result of the problems at the end of the Detroit game. I saw an apology from YSU to Detroit and I know the Detroit coach talked to a Horizon League official after the game. It seemed to me that our team and coach were down for the game and didn't have the energy level that they normally have. Who knows what went on behind closed doors at YSU, the Horizon League, and the officials’ meetings. DC was not himself with the smiles and talking to the fans and refs. And I think the refs were told to keep an eye on the YSU team to keep them in line. The foul disparity was large and the last foul on DC was sure a charge to me, and with over 5 minutes to go in the game it was huge. And Dwayne's reaction after the call was not Dwayne at all.

Other problems were a lack of a game plan offensively and defensively against a well know opponent. The injury to Malek Green which hurt our inside game on offense and defense. Our lack of a bench to replace Malek. And our players did not step up in such a big game. Our inside problems on defense and rebounding were sure apparent. With all of that we were down only 4 with about 4 minutes to go! And if we had Dwayne, our clutch guy, we had a good chance to win.

Spot on with this analysis.  All this went through my head as well.  Cohill also apologized on Twitter.  He did seem like he was zoned out or something and wasn't himself.  YSU just didn't play with any sense of urgency or intensity.  I don't think they expected to be punched in the mouth like they were.  The deficit was too much to overcome though I wondered if Green hadn't gotten hurt and Cohill wasn't in foul trouble had they been able to pull it out or at least at chance at the end.

I know it's not Coach Calhoun's style to yell and scream and call a lot of timeouts, but I think maybe the first half and start of the second half was the time to get the team out of the funk.  I also thought he might have went a little deeper on the bench, but didn't. 

Even thought YSU and Milwaukee were the best teams throughout league play, the tougher teams in NKU & CSU won and that's usually how it seems to play out in the conference tournaments. 

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2023, 12:50:42 PM »
As in so many other years lack of length really hurts.
Hopefully that changes
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2023, 01:19:48 PM »
It will we have a 7-3 recruit coming next year.  Gabriel Dynes from Kentucky a HS Senior this year.  Really skinny but at 7-3 you cannot teach height.  Can always add weight.  Good Defensive player just limited offensively

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2023, 01:22:51 PM »
Too little too late.  We overcame a 22 point deficit and got it to 4 and that is when CoHill fouled out and that was it.  Plus two others fouled out as well.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2023, 03:31:42 PM »
Need to focus on having a good showing in the NIT!   Have to move on now!  Unfortunate, but that is the hand we a dealt with!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2023, 03:58:07 PM »
Need to focus on having a good showing in the NIT!   Have to move on now!  Unfortunate, but that is the hand we a dealt with!

Agree.  I know everyones dissappointed about last night but sometimes a little perspective is needed.  This was the best D1 team YSU has ever had and I really enjoyed this season and grateful of how far the program has come.

We can easily pinpoint what went wrong last night and play Monday morning QB but the NIT  is a week away and I'm looking forward to see how the team rebounds going forward.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2023, 11:10:42 PM »
Hopefully a home game or a close travel game.  Duquesne or Cleveland State??

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2023, 12:45:11 PM »
It won't be Cleveland State!  Most likely a MAC school or lower Big 10 team school at they're place!  Maybe an Atlantic 10!  At this point who knows!  I hope they don't send out West or Far south somewhere!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2023, 12:54:30 PM »
FIRST FOUR OUT
Arizona St.
Nevada
North Carolina
Wisconsin
NEXT FOUR OUT
Michigan
Charleston
Clemson
Oregon

YSU is a projected 7 seed in the NIT.  I don't see that changing based on the projected field.  We would likely be traveling to someone from the above list.  Of course, we won't know until the NCAA Tournament field is set on Sunday.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2023, 10:34:22 PM »
How do you know our seed so soon?

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2023, 07:55:09 AM »
He said "projected". I am guessing the info came from here: https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2023, 10:10:44 AM »
Makes sense.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2023, 10:15:05 AM »
Will # 7 seed play at #2 seed??.   Those projected #2 seeds are far away

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2023, 06:29:26 PM »
Right now 2 vs 7 would have us at Wisconsin I'm guessing!