Author Topic: Detroit  (Read 4036 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2023, 11:37:02 PM »
The way you beat Detroit is to frustrate Davis and YSU has done that the last 2 games.  When he gets frustrated, he'll take bad shots and turn the ball over.  They also got him in foul trouble.  YSU gets the sweep of Detroit, 4 straight wins against them and 7 of the last 9 all with Davis playing.     

I thought there were a lot of questionable calls and no calls.  It was an emotional, hard fought game.  It was hard to tell at times who was in the right and wrong.  There was a lot of talking and it became physical.  Looked to me like Cohill got a T for waving goodbye to the bench?  Earlier on when Detroit went up 6 or 7 when they made that run, one of the Detroit players was taunting YSU's bench and clapped right in front of McBride.  I thought they could have T'ed him up for that, but it didn't look like the refs may have saw it.  Antoine lost his cool at the end and I think his dad is one of the bigger whiners.  They lost their composure when he picked up his 4th foul.

All in all it was a great atmosphere and hard earned win.  After the women lost a heartbreaker, it would have been devastating if the men did as well.   YSU really hasn't played well since blowing out Milwaukee by 29 in that big game.  They did follow that up beating Green Bay by 30, but they got outplayed for most of the first half.  Then they lost to RMU and beat IUPUI after trailing in the 2nd half.  And then tonight.

Detroit killed YSU on the boards and seemed like got most of the 50-50 balls.  I guess it's certainly better to be a 2nd half team than a 1st half time, but boy I wish YSU could start better.  Just seems like YSU struggles to get going early on.   

So all of the top 4 seeds move on.  RMU blew a 7-point lead with about a min and a half to play and lost in OT or YSU would have been playing them instead they get NKU which is probably the 2nd best team in the Horizon League.  You win these Horizon League tourney games by playing defense.  YSU did tonight and especially are going to have to do it against an NKU team that gives up only 63 a game.   

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2023, 06:56:03 AM »
Just curious why do say Davis did not deserve it?

GO GUINS!!!!

According to the coach’s after game comments, he suggested that Detroit should play in CIT so Davis could break the record.
It looks like he might be able to break the record after all.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2023, 07:30:44 AM »

GO GUINS!!!!

According to the coach’s after game comments, he suggested that Detroit should play in CIT so Davis could break the record.

I wish the kid well but this is just another example of why watching and keeping these type of records is a joke. If they play in the CIT and he gets the record I will be happy for him, he has worked hard.

Pick a sport, pro or college, football, baseball basketball etc. So many more games, in all sports, played per year now and changes like the 3-point shot for BB just takes away from the value of the records.

I get that Davis was a story within the story but I was annoyed with all the mention of it during the game. Just happy that we won.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2023, 09:25:40 AM »

GO GUINS!!!!

I wish the kid well but this is just another example of why watching and keeping these type of records is a joke. If they play in the CIT and he gets the record I will be happy for him, he has worked hard.

Pick a sport, pro or college, football, baseball basketball etc. So many more games, in all sports, played per year now and changes like the 3-point shot for BB just takes away from the value of the records.

I get that Davis was a story within the story but I was annoyed with all the mention of it during the game. Just happy that we won.

I thought since we were up by 4, we might let him shoot an uncontested 3 points (without giving a chance for a 4 point play).
If he made the shot breaking the record, we would still win by 1. Both teams would be going home happy.
However, YSU wasn’t going to let him having him a good look at the basket by doubling him. The rest is history.

Offline SAHDPanda

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2023, 10:12:13 AM »
Cohill plays with emotion. Good and bad with that (highlighted by that late game T).

After game pushing/shoving happened because “someone” said Davis didn’t deserve the POY award (according to Davis on Twitter). He got his feelings hurt (probably a little frustration about not breaking the record or taking another L from Cohill).

I think we can all agree throwing things from or, in their case, back into the stands is a bad look. Thankfully no players or students were hurt.

However, we’re moving on to NKU on Monday. Hopefully they’ll work on limiting second chance pts and getting a body on the rebounders.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2023, 12:00:48 PM »
Cohill said something to Davis in the shake hand line and that is what started it.    It seems like Cohill lost his composure even after the game.  Calhoun needs to set him straight.   We cannot make same mistakes against NKU

Offline PeteGuinYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2023, 04:45:51 PM »
Cohill said something to Davis in the shake hand line and that is what started it.    It seems like Cohill lost his composure even after the game.  Calhoun needs to set him straight.   We cannot make same mistakes against NKU
SAHDPanda said it right.  DC plays with emotion (good and bad).  But remember, it was Davis that initiated the physical contact in the post game handshake line. If he doesn't do that, things don't escalate.
Our students were wrong to throw things, no doubt about it, but that's a direct result of Davis' behavior.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2023, 04:50:42 PM »
So was there any video of what happened in line and after? Did the ESPN coverage show it?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2023, 05:15:14 PM »
Cohill looks like he initiated it...look at the replay PetePenYo.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2023, 05:16:17 PM »
Sorry it was PeteGuinYo.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2023, 06:33:34 PM »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2023, 08:39:04 PM »
Calhoun is responsible for this episode, primarily because he was the only person who could have stopped it.  Cohill has been engaging in behavior that ranged from inappropriate to embarrassing all year. Gestures to the opposing bench, interacting with the crowd, arguing with officials. Calhoun should have clapped down on that nonsense long ago. That goodness this latest episode did not cost us the game.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2023, 08:40:44 PM »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2023, 10:11:40 PM »
Cohill tied the game at 60 with a 3 in front of the YSU bench and then proceeded to waive in Davis' face.  Sadly, a lot of this goes along with success when you have 20-year-olds competing.  YSU students and fans alike aren't use to experiencing heated competition in Beeghly.  High stakes bring out the best and worst in athletes. 

Offline PeteGuinYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2023, 04:02:44 PM »
Maybe after hard-fought, emotional games Calhoun should be responsible for having both Teams meet at center court, sit in a circle, join hands and lead them in in a chorus of Kum Ba Yah.