Author Topic: YSU - CSU MBB  (Read 1848 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU - CSU MBB
« on: December 29, 2022, 12:32:23 PM »
YSU is a 6.5-7.5 point favorite.  I'm a little surprised it's that high.  I figured more in the 3.5-5.5 range. 

Pretty big game and weekend for that matter I feel for YSU to establish themselves.  YSU has lost the last 4 to CSU and 9 of the last 10.  They were swept by PFW last year. 

CSU enters at 7-6, but 2-0 in the league handling both Detroit & Oakland by 16 & 15 points at home.  After that bad loss to D2 Notre Dame Ohio, CSU has losses to Cincinnati, Ohio, St. Bonaventure, Kent State & Loyola Marymount; all were road losses other than Kent St.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU - CSU MBB
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 10:45:30 PM »
Impressive win for YSU 85-71.  Thought YSU came out a little tight and CSU jumped on them early and YSU was lucky to only be down 5-0.  Looked like it was going to be a low scoring, typical Horizon League game early on.  I never would have imagined YSU would have gotten to their 85-point average.  Once YSU got the lead later in the first half they never relinquished it. 

YSU got it up to 15 about midway through the 2nd half but about 5 mins later it was back down to 5, but that was as close as it got as YSU finished out strong.

That was a big win as CSU has really had YSU's number winning 9 of the last 10.  Definitely didn't want to see CSU go 3-0 in the league and YSU 1-2 with a tough game Saturday against PFW. 

Brandon Rush was tremendous with 21  Cohill was his typical self.  Thought Green & Nelson both had nice games with 15 & 16.  Lovelace really provided a spark scoring 8 off the bench,  McBride had 4 really nice a$$ists.  I guess Shemar was snowed in for 2 days in Toronto so Hunter got the start as Coach said Shemar wasn't up on the game plan. 

Covington dressed, but didn't play as he sat at the end of the bench.  Is he injured again?

Also, was a great crowd tonight especially with it being break for the students!  Saturday is just $2 general admission.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:48:21 PM by mudclods »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 08:32:20 AM »
Good win. Gotta keep it going Saturday!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 09:51:18 AM »
Team got a lot of contributions from multiple guys.  CSU game plan was to  run a 2nd guy at Cohill that forced him to give the ball up.  That meant we're playing 4 against 3 so Duane had to get the ball to the open guy. 

CSU has a nice team and the return game is going to be tough.

Brandon Rush plays better as a starter and his offense has been a real boost. 

Johnny Lovelace looks like a frosh but has been playing like an upper classmen.  He seems to be getting more comfortable with playing time.  He can really stay in front of his man on D. 

Big guys played very good last night and they have been pretty consistent this season.  Love them on the blocks and not so much shooting 3s.

Need a little more scoring from the point guard position just to keep the defense honest. 

The last time YSU was 10- 4 was the 1997 -98 season.  They started out 17-5 that year.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 10:30:30 AM »
Nice game and good win.
Still like to see someone can come off the bench to sub for our 2 big guys. Will Dunn was on the floor for couple minutes and was taken out with couple bad plays. He never re-entered.
I don’t recall if any other bigs have entered the game. We could have used couple big bodies under the board against a team like CSU.
Lovelace played a good game with high intensity. It is hard to tell that he is only a freshman.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 11:21:30 AM »
Nice game and good win.
Still like to see someone can come off the bench to sub for our 2 big guys. Will Dunn was on the floor for couple minutes and was taken out with couple bad plays. He never re-entered.
I don’t recall if any other bigs have entered the game. We could have used couple big bodies under the board against a team like CSU.
Lovelace played a good game with high intensity. It is hard to tell that he is only a freshman.

Noticed that on Dunn as well.  He didn't seem in tune and a step behind the speed of the game.  He has bulked up each year, but I was hoping for a little more out of him this year in his 3rd year.   Owens still isn't ready to plan meaningful mins.  It really is hard to believe Lovelace is a freshman.  I know Coach gushed about him earlier in the year.  He's going to be a key piece in the future, hopefully can keep him around.   

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 11:52:24 AM »
What was the announced attendance?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 12:11:23 PM »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 12:26:23 PM »

Not bad for without having students on campus. I guess $2 GA didn’t hurt. They should do more half price tickets promotions.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 12:35:36 PM »

Not bad for without having students on campus. I guess $2 GA didn’t hurt. They should do more half price tickets promotions.

The $2 GA tickets is Saturday.