Author Topic: YSU VS CMU  (Read 1614 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU VS CMU
« on: December 21, 2022, 07:22:42 PM »
We cannot hit a 3 yet.   Tho we got the lead by 1.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU VS CMU
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 07:28:37 PM »
They are playing a zone on us.  We struggle with the zone.   We are up by 8 though.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 07:36:27 PM »
Now up by 9

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 08:43:46 PM »
Question is will we blow the lead.  Cmu just went on 11 to 0 run
The full court press is killing us.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 08:54:03 PM »
Question is will we blow the lead.  Cmu just went on 11 to 0 run
The full court press is killing us.
We won by 11. Cohill is tough.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 09:17:34 PM »
Any win on the road is good.

That was a dark depressing arena.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 09:20:48 PM »
Did we miss any FT's?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 09:29:12 PM »
No we were 11-11 on ft's.  Good road victory.  now break time.   Is it me or do we play better on the road this year?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 10:57:56 PM »
I thought the same thing about the arena being dark and depressing even from pre-game pics. 

Good road win for YSU- that's 2 straight against CMU & first ever there, even if they haven't been great the last 2 years. 

YSU does seem to struggle against the zone.  Kind of an odd game; back & forth early & YSU took over and should have had a bigger lead at the half than 9.  That kept CMU in the game.  Then I thought YSU had total control up 18 with just over 8 mins to go.  YSU then seemed to play tight, didn't play like how they got that lead and got careless.  They almost let CMU back in it only scoring 8 points over the last 8+ mins. 

Thought it was odd CMU really didn't foul at the end and just let the game play out. 

Another great game by DC.  Thought Green was excellent.  Got a typical night for Nelson close to another double-double.  Rush continues to look good as well.

Struggled from 3 at 5-16 and just 2-12 outside of Cohill, but went 11-11 from the FT line and that was key.  YSU is doing a nice job from the FT line this year.

Nice way to end non-conference play sitting at 9-4 and could easily by 11-2.  I think this team can play with anyone, only 1 loss of double figures.  If they can continue to score the ball and if the defense plays well they can easily beat anyone in the Horizon League.  I thought the CMU announcers gave a lot of props to YSU's team as they have all the tools to win a championship.  Turnovers, scoring droughts, and a lack of D are the only things this team has struggled with at times thus far.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 04:59:21 AM »
At years past, we have had seasons which we shot less than 60% on the FT. We would have lost some of the games this year if we did that.
The announcers went out their way to praise YSU. That was kind of unusual. I don’t know if they want to give the appearance of fairness due to the ESPN+ broadcast.
As you said, we were up 18 with 8 minutes to go. If you recall, CMU made a big run when coach took DC out of the game. Our guys looked lost out there on offense without DC during that run.
We let them got back into the game with poor defense by giving couple open 3’s and offensive rebounds.
Miles Hunter played some good minutes on defense. Unfortunately, he had trouble in scoring.
It was a good win on the road although CMU was not a good team.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 03:56:45 PM »
Happy with any road win.  Thought the guys played better defense except they left the CMU Big man wide open a few times and he was hitting his 3s.

Not much you can say about Cohill that hasn't been said.  When he's feeling it he's unstoppable.

Love what Rush has done with his starting minutes.  Wasn't hitting the 3 ball but great drives and finishes at the rim. 

Lost some momentum late in the game and let CMU gain some confidence but the guys got it going and closed it out.  I'm in the camp when you have a big lead either add to it or keep it at the same deficit but teams have runs and you have to respond .