Author Topic: YSU - Southern MBB  (Read 1202 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU - Southern MBB
« on: December 16, 2022, 12:18:50 PM »
YSU is an 8.5 point favorite.  YSU needs to take care of business tonight and then close out non-conference play with a win against Central Michigan next week. 

Need to get Adrian Nelson going again and would like to see a better defensive effort.  Also would like to see so more production out of Shemar, Covington & Hunter.  Seems like McBride wants to come off the bench, but he could easily be starting as could Brandon Rush. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU - Southern MBB
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 10:20:28 PM »
Ugly win.   Defense was way better in 2nd half.  Wish coach wouldn't of benched Brandon Rush because of one bad pass.  I've seen Mayes and Cohill do worse.

It will be interesting how Southern does in the SWAC.  Nice scrappy team that played a tough early season schedule and beat Cal on the road.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 11:07:54 PM »
I'm exhausted from that game.  Not sure I've seen anything it.  First half was no defense and YSU lacked intensity.  Rush missed that open 3 late and Southern closed strong up 42-35.  I thought YSU was in trouble and this was going to be a bad loss. 

YSU was like a different team the 2nd half and really locked down defensively.  They only had 2 FGs and I think 5 points for over 11 mins of the first half then gave up 33 points the last 8+ mins.  Thought YSU had some opportunities to put it away late and go up 15 or so but had some bad turnovers and missed a couple good looks and FT; then the game got out of hand. 

I thought it was pretty poorly officiated all game and the refs let it get out of hand.  You could almost say Southern's coach cost them the game with 2 technicals and getting thrown out.  It really got out of hand then with a lot of hard fouls and chippiness.  I had it feeling it was going to get ugly the way the game was being played. 

They almost baited YSU into losing their composure with the fouls, pressing, running their mouth, etc.  They just kept stretching the game out and YSU nearly gave it away.  There should be enough senior leadership to keep their composure and not get into situations late like this.     

Bryce McBride was unbelievable on defense and went 8-for-8 from the FT line.  He was the big key to victory.

Lucky there wasn't a brawl post-game with players and then Southern looked like they wanted to fight fans as they left.  They definitely reflected their coach.     

Have to wonder if that will be the first and last time they play Southern.   

Any word on Garrett Covington?  He dressed but sat at the end of the bench. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 09:18:09 AM »
I'm exhausted from that game.  ---- Also

I thought it was pretty poorly officiated all game and the refs let it get out of hand. ----Agree

There should be enough senior leadership to keep their composure and not get into situations late like this. ----Agree     

Lucky there wasn't a brawl post-game with players and then Southern looked like they wanted to fight fans as they left.  They definitely reflected their coach.  ----Agree

Have to wonder if that will be the first and last time they play Southern.    ----It would not be smart to have a return game

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 09:42:01 AM »
I think the return game is next year.  at their place.