Author Topic: New FBS Conference forming. But Hey! We play in the SEC of FCS!  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: New FBS Conference forming. But Hey! We play in the SEC of FCS!
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2022, 04:43:14 PM »
There is nothing wrong with dreaming, until your dreams are shattered by the intrusion of reality. Here is the yearly athletic spending for the state universities with the exception of the professional operation in Columbus.  Latest data I could find was from the 2017-2018 academic year.  Numbers are in millions of dollars.

11.9 Wright State
13.7 Cleveland State
15.9 Youngstown State
24.4 Bowling Green
30.0 Kent State
33.8 Toledo
34.9 Akron
35.9 Ohio
37.1 Miami
64.8 Cincinnati

Yes, I saw those numbers in the faculty meeting a few years back. I recall making comments that CSU and WSU were spending a lots of $$ without football programs. I was also surprised that our basketball program was even competitive.
The presentation also showed the breakdown of where the funding was coming from for each program.
If I remembered correctly, many of the FBS programs channeled $$$ from student general funds to make up for the short comings.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2022, 07:42:00 PM »
Administrative positions have outpaced enrollment throughout higher education.  I realize that some of these support positions are needed but they are the reason that higher education is unaffordable.  They think the general fund money should all funnel to them and the BS causes that have divided this country.     

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2022, 07:52:35 PM »
GoodNews i totally agree with what you say.   We need to cut out the BS spending and funnel it back into sports and become FBS in FOOTBALL LIKE NOW.   I know we are in the SEC of 1-AA but sooner or later once the Dakota schools decide to move to FBS and they probably closer than you think.  I think in the next 3 seasons at least NDSU will leave for the FCS and most likely bring SDSU with them.   They are meeting in the FCS championship game for all MVFC showdown.   So the question is do we get a piece of the pie everytime they advance?  i'd like to know the answer on that one.

Offline cjm

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2022, 09:20:01 AM »
we don't have the money and will never have the money for a move to FBS adequately. everyone here really wants to be the next akron or kent and akron isn't at the height of its glory days financially as an institution. it's not all just administrative cost issues for YSU either as many would like to argue. there is an old saying in business, you can't cut your way to solvency.

We are a small city institution and thinking we can even afford to go MAC and not incur yearly increasing debt while continuing to exist in basically the same sphere of exposure and interest as the MVFC is silly.