Author Topic: YSU - Westminster MBB  (Read 1117 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU - Westminster MBB
« on: December 09, 2022, 12:09:16 PM »
Even though it was 7-0 to start, thought YSU looked a bit sluggish early on.  Westminster got a lot of good looks, but couldn't knock them down and was holding YSU to just 1 shot on offense.  YSU was just so much more athletic, bigger, and stronger. 

It was good everyone got to play and contributed.  YSU's defense still kind of concerns me; here were a lot of bad breakdowns.  They kind of got lax in the 2nd half and gave up 43, which I know can happen in games like this.  I think if they can improve on that this team is going to be pretty dangerous.  We know they can score and it's a deep roster.  There's 10 guys that can easily start and then you add in Irwin and Shelton.  I was hoping for more improvement from Owens over last year.  Coach has said he's a work in progress. 

Bryce McBride has really impressed me this year.  He's really calm on the court and what he did with the triple-double was was really impressive especially the 15 assists, and it's not easy for a guard to get 10 rebounds.  Hard to believe he's on the 2nd in YSU history to do that.  Naz was the other, but he did it with OT.  The fact too that he wants to come off the bench says a lot about him as well. 

I was concerned when Covington didn't dress, but sounds like he'll be good to go Sunday.  He hurt his ankle in practice and decided to sit out. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU - Westminster MBB
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 02:29:30 PM »
The game was exactly what it should have been, we had a chance to give everyone some court time to see what they could do. Work on a few things and not be to concerned about a loss. They had a chance to test themselves against a stronger team and maybe get them ready for tougher games later in the season.

Nice to see all the local players on their team, they seemed to have a decent following at the game.

Started looking like an nba allstar game there near the end, lots of running and gunning.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 03:17:37 PM »
I believe 4 Reserves were in double figures including Irwin and Dunn and Lovelace..  All 3 will be back next year.  Lovelace is going to be a stud if he sticks around.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 03:24:04 PM »
Can't really say a lot about this game since the opponent was a d3 school and the out come is what it should of been.

Like mud said Mcbride having a triple double was impressive .  Brice is a strong and fast point guard who could score more than he has but seems to get others involved first.  His defense against Calvin of Wright State was terrific.

Josh Irwin showed flashes of what might be a decent contributor in the near future.  He needs playing time and the confidence will come.   Big body to set screens out front and has a nice shooting stroke.

Glad to see Shelton get some minutes.  He's streaky from the 3 point line but when he gets into a groove he could be  a zone buster.

Lovelace looked good too.  He's another that with more playing time he'll really take his game up a notch.   He's probably leading the team in chase down blocks.