Author Topic: Garrett Coviington is in the transfer portal  (Read 15223 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Garrett Coviington is in the transfer portal
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2022, 03:22:11 PM »
This one breaks my heart.  I actually think he should of red-shirted since he needs to add some muscle.  I could of sworn he had 14 points in one half.  Can't remember the opponent and I might be wrong about the point total but it was a glimpse of what he could do.  Prototypical point guard that can handle the ball and pass.  Great shooter in highschool that we did not see at YSU but it takes time as one jumps levels.

I'd be surprised if he went to another D1 program.  Thinking D2.  Mud is correct that Luke lost his momentum after the wrist injury.  Looking forward to keeping an eye on his career.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2022, 03:32:08 PM »
This one breaks my heart.  I actually think he should of red-shirted since he needs to add some muscle.  I could of sworn he had 14 points in one half.  Can't remember the opponent and I might be wrong about the point total but it was a glimpse of what he could do.  Prototypical point guard that can handle the ball and pa$$.  Great shooter in highschool that we did not see at YSU but it takes time as one jumps levels.

I'd be surprised if he went to another D1 program.  Thinking D2.  Mud is correct that Luke lost his momentum after the wrist injury.  Looking forward to keeping an eye on his career.

I agree with you.

He had 13 against PFW, which was the game he got hurt.  Almost singlehandedly brought them back in that one until the magic ran out.  That began the tough stretch when YSU lost 3 straight at home and 5 of the next 6 overall.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2022, 05:15:54 PM »
Michael Lucarotti is 6-4 210 and he played pg Last year at Osbourne Academy and I'm wondering if he was out playing Luke at practice which most of are not privy to.   Not sure if that was the case since one red shirted and one didn't.  Just thinking out loud.
I'm coming to the conclusion that the transfer portal is a killer to mid-majors especially with  two of the best leaving Wright State and us losing Quisenberry & Naz last season and countless others.  Looks like the Big time conferences have a new feeder system.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2022, 06:23:47 PM »
Owen Long also transferring out.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2022, 08:00:07 PM »

Surprised Owen is leaving since he did get playing time especially as the season progressed.  Not sure he was going to be more than a 8 to 12 minute type off the bench.  He had a couple of games where he really heiped and he had some where he never produced.   Kind of seeing him at a D2.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2022, 09:43:42 PM »

Surprised Owen is leaving since he did get playing time especially as the season progressed.  Not sure he was going to be more than a 8 to 12 minute type off the bench.  He had a couple of games where he really heiped and he had some where he never produced.   Kind of seeing him at a D2.

Guessing he figures his role will be similar next year and being a senior wants more PT.  He averaged 19.3 ppg in his sophomore year at Maryville College, which was D2. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2022, 10:10:45 PM »
I can only imagine that coach Calhoun has an end of the year sit down with each player and discusses their role and future going into next season as would any other program.  Maybe each player has his mind  made up before this process ?   Do players see the writing on the wall pertaining to next seasons playing time with the the red-shirts and transfers & frosh coming in ?     
Or could it  be simple as a player not happy in this enviroment and seeing greener pastures beyond?

In Luke and Owens situation I got to go with the idea that playing time next season won't be at a premium and jumping ship is the best alternative.

In Garrett case I think he wants a shot at major D1 like Naz experienced.  After 5 years at Youngstown I'm sure it would be exciting for a young man to experience a new campus.

Have a gut feeling that a couple more might be leaving. Don't want to mention names since we're talking about college players but i'd be surprised if this was the end.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2022, 06:53:41 AM »
I suspect that both are looking for more playing time else where.

As for Luke, many have pointed out that his plays had dropped off in the second half of the season. IMO, the league might have figured out how to play him in the second half of the season and he, being a freshman, simply did not have the ability and experience to overcome it. It is also possible being mental. How else could a player go from a 80+% FT shooter down to 50% FT shooter. That had nothing to do with other teams or his size.

I wish both Luke and Owen best wishes in pursuing their future dreams.

Offline IronGuin14

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2022, 05:40:19 PM »
Best wishes to these two young men - thanks for your contributions to the team and the community! While I always root for our guys - never really thought they were D1 material.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2022, 03:58:02 PM »
Just saw that Cleveland state's D'moi Hodge and Tre Gomillion are in the portal.  That was their two best returning players.  With their coach leaving that would be no shock.  I think Hodge can play at a higher level.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2022, 01:36:35 PM »
Another transfer coming in. Adrian Nelson, 6-8
Forward from Northern Kentucky.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2022, 02:00:02 PM »
YSU recruited him four years ago out of HS.  Should give us some stability in the paint.  Adrian won't be flashy but will be solid and adds the toughness that is needed.  Nice pickup but being from the same conference is a little strange.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 02:10:56 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2022, 04:47:43 PM »
Luke Chicone is transfering to John Carroll University.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2022, 06:57:42 PM »
6-8 Adrina Nelson is transferring in form NKU according to verbal commits!