Author Topic: Brandon Rush = Penguin (basketball)  (Read 2680 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Brandon Rush = Penguin (basketball)
« on: March 15, 2022, 09:00:36 PM »
6-3 175 transfer from Fairleigh Dickinson.  Brandon is from Warrensville,Ohio.   Led FDU in scoring at 14 pts per game but shot only .394 from the field and.296 from three for a 4-22 team.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/brandon-rush

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon Rush = Penguin (basketball)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 10:05:07 PM »
Would imagine he'll replace Olison

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 06:51:50 AM »
We need to sign a big guy and another to replace Akuchie.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 09:02:00 AM »
We need to sign a big guy and another to replace Akuchie.

Hopefully Will Dunn continues to improve every year like Akuchie did.  Did get Mattia Acunzo that played HS at Kennedy, was at Toledo then transferred to Robert Morris but only played 3 games.  He's 6'8.  I think freshman Jacori Owens has potential.  He's 6'9.  Need to get more PT out of him than what Jamir played this year.  Still would like to see more size inside. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 01:38:02 PM »
I just watched a video on Brandon's twitter page where he scored a career high of 36 against Wagner who was the top team in their league.  He seems to have a similar game to Cohill.  In the video his athletic abilty really shows.   Mostly a slasher with a nice vertical.  Didn't see his perimeter stroke but if that part improves he will really help the program.  Being left handed might give him an advantage.

As far as getting a big man.  All I want is a guy lilke CSU or Okland had that can score inside and intimidate in the paint.   Even the guy at Fort Wayne had that ability.   The Big at Wright State is special due to the fact he can play inside and stretch the floor from three.  WSU loses Loudon Love and then Grant Basile steps in and they don't miss a beat.
Noe Anibar was probably the best in the Calhoun era.   Akuchie in my opinion was more of a forward and not a natural post up guy that was a default five.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 02:02:33 PM »
I just watched a video on Brandon's twitter page where he scored a career high of 36 against Wagner who was the top team in their league.  He seems to have a similar game to Cohill.  In the video his athletic abilty really shows.   Mostly a slasher with a nice vertical.  Didn't see his perimeter stroke but if that part improves he will really help the program.  Being left handed might give him an advantage.

As far as getting a big man.  All I want is a guy lilke CSU or Okland had that can score inside and intimidate in the paint.   Even the guy at Fort Wayne had that ability.   The Big at Wright State is special due to the fact he can play inside and stretch the floor from three.  WSU loses Loudon Love and then Grant Basile steps in and they don't miss a beat.
Noe Anibar was probably the best in the Calhoun era.   Akuchie in my opinion was more of a forward and not a natural post up guy that was a default five.

I agree with you.  Unfortunately it seemed like it really took until Noe's senior year to develop.  To me it seemed like Jamir wasn't the same this year following his injury that forced him to miss last year.  Really couldn't get more than 10 mins out of him, and just seemed to lack the stamina/speed, and couldn't keep out of foul trouble.   

Yes on Akuckie and that's why I feel Dunn is going to be the same as him.  YSU lost a lot of it's physical and toughness inside with Naz gone and Akuchie just couldn't stop a lot of the league's bigs inside. 

I'm hoping can Owens can develop quick and had size and strength.  He seems like he can be athletic but struggled with the ball at times.   

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 03:58:25 PM »
Still believe some special times are ahead with this coach!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 04:14:15 PM »
I believe he is a lefty too which can be challenge for defenders.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 06:40:05 PM »
Mud,Jamir first season the game at Louisville he was post scoring againt Louisville's big who was a stud so I thought Jamir would progress to that GUY.   Coach said he was a little slow on coming back against screens so his minutes were way down and then last season he has the ACL issue and I'm not sure we ever saw what he could of been unless my vision and hope is off of who he could of been.
He did seem to be a great teammate though who gave what he could in his down sized role.

Got to give it up to Ackuchie and Covington since they came back while Naz and Darius elected to go elsewhere which might be a good thing for them but did not lead to a winning program or post season.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 11:44:31 PM »
Mud,Jamir first season the game at Louisville he was post scoring againt Louisville's big who was a stud so I thought Jamir would progress to that GUY.   Coach said he was a little slow on coming back against screens so his minutes were way down and then last season he has the ACL issue and I'm not sure we ever saw what he could of been unless my vision and hope is off of who he could of been.
He did seem to be a great teammate though who gave what he could in his down sized role.

Got to give it up to Ackuchie and Covington since they came back while Naz and Darius elected to go elsewhere which might be a good thing for them but did not lead to a winning program or post season.

Agree 100% on this.  Disappointing for sure for Jamir, but he does seem like a great teammate (was supportive all last year when he didn't play) and you can tell he loves the guys this year. 

I'd love to know more of the thoughts of Darius & Naz.  He wasn't the same player last year.  He never seemed engaged during and post-injury.  Would have loved to have Naz stay this year.  He would have been the difference in several of those close games as would have Covington had he not gotten hurt.  If nothing else, I'm convinced YSU would have been a top 4 seed.

I'm sure Naz wanted a chance to play on a big stage and get the opportunity to go to the big dance.  Really never understood Darius' move to Fordham.  Neither school got to the post-season.