Author Topic: YSU Mens game v, N. Kentucky  (Read 3510 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU Mens game v, N. Kentucky
« on: January 13, 2022, 09:28:45 PM »
You give up an uncontested lay up with 2.4 seconds left,  Are you kidding me.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Mens game v, N. Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 09:29:51 PM »
Again, no inside presence!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 09:31:18 PM »
As soon as I saw them switch the time from 1 to 2.4 seconds, I knew we would lose!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 11:42:47 PM »
It's mind boggling YSU has lost these 3 games at home.  Lose to an inferior PFW and then have a chance to knock off CSU & NKU with a lead in the closing seconds and can't close it out.  The last 2 games felt eerily the same.  YSU should have been up 15 on CSU at halftime and instead it was 8.  They should have been up 10 on NKU and as soon as they got it to 4 at the half I didn't have a good feeling. 

It looked like NKU was going to struggle to get to 40 points as YSU shut them down for most of the first half, but just like the CSU game couldn't take advantage of so many opportunities to open up a sizable lead. Both CSU and NKU seemed to make halftime adjustments and were different teams in the 2nd half. Both were just more physical than YSU and controlled the boards.  YSU just has zero presence inside and just miss so many point blank shots, can't get out and run, and no fast breaks.

Ogoro missed both of his FT.  He's down to 31%.  That's just unreal. 

Outside of the 2nd half of the WVU game and that 22-0 run by Oakland that changed the game, YSU has been in every game, but they aren't closing them out like in years past.  YSU just seems to be lacking the leadership on the court and severely miss Covington and guys like DQ & Naz.  This team just doesn't know how to win. 

YSU's bench is getting less and less effective especially now with Chicone out.  Owen Long had that one good game early on.  When Thomas is in there, I wish he'd look to score instead of immediately looking to get rid of the ball.  Our 3 big men are at the bottom of scoring and mins.  It's something YSU really lacks compared to other teams.

YSU really needs a way to find a way to beat Wright St. Losing 4 straight at home and heading on the road against 2 teams they couldn't beat at home would be a backbreaker

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 02:03:17 PM »
It only took one second for N. Kentucky to score so even if they did not add time YSU would have lost.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 02:13:47 PM »
Can't believe the uncontested layup on the last play. It would seem like that play would be practiced in the 1st week of practice since it happens so often. Too many of our players are not well enough prepared to play in crunch time when mistakes are so costly. We need a take charge player in crunch time like DQ or Naz or Garrett. How many games did we win in the past at crunch time with DQ driving to the basket? And our lack of inside presense is really apparrent; the last 2 games lost on offensive rebounds by the opposition. We are forced to play some that really are not an offensive threat so the other teams double up on our guys that can score. Michael A needs to stay inside to give us a chance and protect our scorers even if he doesn't score that much. Him at the 3 point line is not going to do it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 02:14:29 PM »
I initially thought the same thing YSU1, but I do not think they would have drove if there was only 1-sec left. They would have shot it from the cheap seats.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 02:16:06 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 03:23:54 PM »
So much for the homestand.  Not sure of the direction of the offense.  Teams take away Akuchie as our 1st option and now we're dependent on outside shooting since their is no other option in the paint.  If Cohill is driving and finishing we're good but as of late he's been driving and forcing shots over bigger defenders and hasn't been as effective.
Last night Olison was hitting 3s but if he's off who steps up.   The bench was strong early this season and now there's little production.   If guys don't step up then we're looking at the bottom third of the Horizon.
There is a lot of basketball left but someting or someone needs to step up to change the direction of this team.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 04:14:29 PM »
There was really no excuse for giving up the uncontested layup at the last play of the game in D-1 Basketball.
This one is only ranked second to the bone head play by Larson when he ran the guy over on the in bound play on their baseline 90+ feet from their basket when we were up 3 with less than 2 seconds. They made the FT and we lost in OT
Unbelievable.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 05:02:37 PM »
Man up on inbounds play is elementary basketball. Everyone should have someone within arms length.  I guess the basketball IQ of this roster is non existent. Not to mention, many coaches call a timeout when they see how the opponent lines up. 

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 05:18:02 PM »
Painful!  Should not have lost these last games!  And losing to IPFW was inexcusable along with the two games in our mini tournament!  This team should only have three to four losses on the season.  Every team in the league is experiencing injury and Covid issues!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 05:56:18 PM »
I am not a basketball coach. But I would have put in Thomas, Dunn and Akuchie just to jam up the middle under the basket. I don’t think that would have been enough room for the ball to get through.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 06:32:31 PM »
Same old stuff.