Author Topic: Baseball  (Read 2973 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Baseball
« on: May 01, 2021, 09:06:06 AM »
I am happy about baseball this season. First 20-game win season in a long time. When they were swept at Wright State, I just figured a typical season, but they then won the home series against WSU 3-1

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 01:15:45 PM »
Coach Bertolini has done a great job at attracting, developing, and retaining baseball talent.  The results show great progress. A win yesterday, 1 - 0, vs UIC which is a traditional power in baseball. It is our first win in Chicago in over 5 years.  Also last I looked, we were the only league team to beat Wright State, 3 of 8 games this year. Some good pitching, defense and a bit of offense.  The lower end of our pitching staff needs improvement, but our top guys are very good at our level. Double header today in Chicago and the games are on line at ESPN3 or ESPN+. I have been to a few games at Eastwood this year and the attendance is up from prior years in my opinion. Some more home series in the coming weeks which should have better weather and hopefully better crowds. Baseball is sure improved with the new coach.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 06:46:59 PM »
The improvement under Bertolini has been substantial.  But as you note, the lack of pitching depth is killing this team.  Today, after losing a close 3-1 decision in the first game, we lost the nightcap 8-7 after blowing a 7-1 lead going into the 8th inning. That comes on top of blowing late four run leads on consecutive days to an average Milwaukee team several weeks ago.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 11:34:19 AM »
Yesterday's 2nd game was a disaster. I watched the final few innings. The 1st reliever in the 7th inning got through without giving up any runs, but they hit some rockets off him. Score still 7 to 1 in our favor.  All we need is 6 outs and we win. Next reliever in the 8th gets the 1st out, only 5 more outs and we win. No one on base. I think a walk, hit batter and a monster home run. Now 7 to 4. At this point I would think if we had a strong reliever, he would come in at this point. Gary Cliff I think is our top reliever who pitched an inning the day before. He is not brought in and the next reliever I think walks a batter and gives up 3 home runs and we are down 8 to 7! In our top of the 9th they bring in a reliever who pitched over 2 innings in the first game and he gets us out without us putting the ball in play. Three called 3rd strikes! What a disheartening loss. Not sure how they can come back today after this. I don't follow the team real closely, but I was surprised the last reliver was left in after surrendering the 1st homerun and we were still ahead.  The coach must have thought he gave us the best chance of the choices he had.  Today could be interesting.