Author Topic: Beeghly Center Renovations  (Read 7005 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Beeghly Center Renovations
« on: March 24, 2021, 09:39:28 AM »
Heard from a good source that they are ripping out and replacing the entire seating system in the entire gym.

Also putting in an on court loge on the north side of the gym, ripping out the current concession stand. Not sure exactly how it's gonna look but the project should be exciting nonetheless.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Beeghly Center Renovations
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 09:58:33 AM »
Heard from a good source that they are ripping out and replacing the entire seating system in the entire gym.

Also putting in an on court loge on the north side of the gym, ripping out the current concession stand. Not sure exactly how it's gonna look but the project should be exciting nonetheless.

Good news. Did YSU get some stimulus money to finance this project.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 11:06:08 AM »
Looks like my favorite seats are gone, but that is ok, glad to see the improvements. Any mention of the style of seats being used, I did not see that?

Beeghly opened my freshman year and already has changed quite a lot from then.

I love the game score on the mock up. 98 - 87 YSU up with 8:12 left in the first qtr.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 12:42:35 PM »
I hope they update the ticketing system to electronically (paperless) as well (in the 21 century)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 02:15:02 PM »
I care nothing about loge seating for the fat cats. I will suspend judgment until I see what quality of seating will be installed for the common man.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 09:04:48 PM »
There is a God!  It's about time.  Duquesne's newly renovated UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse just opened, it only seats around 4,400 but it looks a lot bigger.

https://duquesneathleticsfacilityrenovation.com/new-upmc-cooper-fieldhouse/index.html

I'm very excited with this news, hope they do a great job renovating the old lady.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 09:34:29 PM »
Hearing the seat replacement won't be done till after next basketball season. They are converting the classroom to a PT room this summer. On court loge will be the last thing on the list.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
In my mind this should have been 25,000,000 project, rather than 2,500,000 project.  But putting dead space to use for loges is good and those damn flimsy plastic seats will not be missed by a single sole!  While I think "there is a God" may be a little strong, this is a good step!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 10:39:50 PM »
Looking at the pics from tonight's game this project cant start soon enough.  The bleachers where old when I attended games from 1993-97.  I know $$$ is tight and they've made some improvements in recent years but Beeghly is down right embarrassing at our level.     

Offline IronGuin14

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 12:44:40 PM »
The Business Journal wrote a follow up on this on Dec. 30.

Looks like the athletic department is being selective with the proposed renovations and will need to raise $1.5 million to decrease the number of chairback seats along the sides of the basketball court and replace the wooden bleachers on the upper level. Under the plan, the chairbacks would be moved back from the court and gain more legroom. Courtside seating would be added. Capacity would be shrunk from 6,000 to the 4,000s.

https://businessjournaldaily.com/beeghly-center-seat-replacement-has-1-5m-price-tag/

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 01:00:21 PM »
That article was a bit deflating. Raising 1.5 million for something that is basketball-related will be hard.  At least the plan now calls for replacing the seats before building those stupid loges.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 09:58:28 PM »
According to WFMJ press release, ALL seating will be chairbacks including the curent bleachers.  In addition, upgrades to lockerrooms and I believe the lobby.  Calhoun referenced local gentlemen who believe in the program for the upgrades.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 02:36:10 PM »
Suppose to start 4-1-24.  Will this all be done by November ?   That is when the season begins.
Excited.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2023, 10:06:32 PM »
According to WFMJ press release, ALL seating will be chairbacks including the curent bleachers.  In addition, upgrades to lockerrooms and I believe the lobby.  Calhoun referenced local gentlemen who believe in the program for the upgrades.

Wow, so even the bleachers behind the hoops will be gone?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne