Author Topic: YSU vs Rochester Mi  (Read 2985 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs Rochester Mi
« on: February 08, 2021, 06:06:46 PM »
Not sure if Rochester is d2 or naia but Penguins struggled to win.  Lack of intensity or just playing at the opponents level ?  Shot only 37% and 28% from three.   Maybe I should just give Rochester credit.  Their coach had them playing decent defense.
Coach C had to full court press a lot of 2nd half to change the tempo. 

Posivtives of the game were Akuchie and Vargo.   Was looking for DQ to have a big game but he did not play well.  Same for Greyson Kelly .   Kelly got one shot off in 4 minutes of playing time.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs Rochester Mi
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 01:56:14 AM »
Not sure if Rochester is d2 or naia but Penguins struggled to win.  Lack of intensity or just playing at the opponents level ?  Shot only 37% and 28% from three.   Maybe I should just give Rochester credit.  Their coach had them playing decent defense.
Coach C had to full court press a lot of 2nd half to change the tempo. 

Positives of the game were Akuchie and Vargo.   Was looking for DQ to have a big game but he did not play well.  Same for Greyson Kelly .   Kelly got one shot off in 4 minutes of playing time.

They are NAIA. Coach Calhoun said that was the only opponent they could find.  5 non-conference games with 4 of them being NAIA schools, but really no options under the circumstances.

It was a sloppy game, but I really think YSU was just plain tired.  They had less than 18 hours off after playing 2 OT games so they ended up playing basically 3 1/2 games in less than 4 days!  And I think you have to give Rochester credit as that's a very good NAIA team. They came in at 5-1 and apparently took Oakland to the wire last year.

YSU missed so many point blank shots and layups that really could have put the game out of reach early, and then after building the lead to 19 they got pretty lax at the end getting outscored 9-0 and not scoring for nearly the final 5 mins.  The end of the games continue to be a concern.

Coach did say Mayes x-ray came back negative so hopefully he's back in the lineup.  He also said Kelley was very sore after paying his two games.  That obviously led to his lack of minutes.  Would be great to see YSU at full strength this weekend. 

I wonder about Traore.  He hasn't played in the last 5 games and the 3 before that he played a total of 7 minutes.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 05:55:44 PM »
I just read on the Tribune that YSU honored the seniors that night. According to the paper, they also honored two Juniors (DQ and Hamperian).
Why. Are they not coming back next year.
Any insight.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 08:25:48 PM »
I just read on the Tribune that YSU honored the seniors that night. According to the paper, they also honored two Juniors (DQ and Hamperian).
Any insight.

I believe DQ was graduating early so maybe that was the case with Hamperian as well? Not sure on that.  Coach acted like at his press conference today they aren't talking about next year with the players and just focused on this year.  Wondering if there's any chance of the seniors come back next year for their extra year of eligibility. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 09:07:29 PM »
Any insight.

I believe DQ was graduating early so maybe that was the case with Hamperian as well? Not sure on that.  Coach acted like at his press conference today they aren't talking about next year with the players and just focused on this year.  Wondering if there's any chance of the seniors come back next year for their extra year of eligibility.

I watched coach weekly press conference also. I am not sure how this will be handled. With incoming freshmen, I am not sure we will have enough scholarships for all the players if the seniors return for another year.
An other possibility is that the graduating seniors (or juniors) can transfer to another school for next season. As coach said, NCAA just passed a new rule so they do not have to sit out a year.