Author Topic: Wright State  (Read 8030 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Wright State
« on: January 05, 2021, 06:48:20 PM »
Big weekend coming.  On national TV on Friday, ESPN2.  Naz will be fine as will Q and Mays. The rest I worry about. We need some mid range production, not just 3's and try's at layups. Our full court pressure needs to be limited or they we kill us with easy baskets. And David and Garret need to be productive for us to have a chance.  The new guys sure have a chance to step up, namely Vargo, Dunn, Hunter, and Traore. Dunn and Traore seem to be tall enough for an inside presence, but Dunn needs to bulk up some to survive inside and Traore probably needs some practice / playing time to get ready. Even David A could be more effective inside and help so much, but he likes to shoot 3's and that is not his game at this time. Unfortunately none of the redshirt freshman seem to be ready to contribute. I am not totally sure who the redshirt freshman are, Ogoro for sure and maybe Ganley.

We need to start fast to have a chance I think.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wright State
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 06:39:53 AM »
Big weekend coming.  On national TV on Friday, ESPN2.  Naz will be fine as will Q and Mays. The rest I worry about. We need some mid range production, not just 3's and try's at layups. Our full court pressure needs to be limited or they we kill us with easy baskets. And David and Garret need to be productive for us to have a chance.  The new guys sure have a chance to step up, namely Vargo, Dunn, Hunter, and Traore. Dunn and Traore seem to be tall enough for an inside presence, but Dunn needs to bulk up some to survive inside and Traore probably needs some practice / playing time to get ready. Even David A could be more effective inside and help so much, but he likes to shoot 3's and that is not his game at this time. Unfortunately none of the redshirt freshman seem to be ready to contribute. I am not totally sure who the redshirt freshman are, Ogoro for sure and maybe Ganley.

We need to start fast to have a chance I think.

Who is David ?

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 07:32:21 AM »
My error.  David is Michael.  But I think anyone who has watched the games would have known.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 07:16:07 PM »
Akuchie always seems to be the difference.  When he plays well and gets into double figures, YSU seems to win; there's a statistic out there I've seen before and it's pretty telling.  It seems like when Akuchie gets going his game goes to a different level, but when he's off his D lacks, he gets frustrated and bad fouls ensue.  Same can be said for Covington at times.  I just really wish these two were more consistent.

The defense is the key.  Last year, YSU was in most all of the games because of their defensive intensity even games when they weren't shooting the greatest.  Outside of the 2nd half of the Binghamton game and the 2nd NKU game, this year has felt like the early Calhoun years.  YSU needs to keep Wright State in the 60s this weekend to have a shot.  Last year, YSU was nearly unbeatable when they kept teams under 70.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 01:23:14 PM »
YSU is an 11.5-12 point dog tonight at Wright State.  Even with how YSU has played, that seems a little high especially without fans and for a team that YSU should be.

I expect a really good effort tonight especially being on ESPN2, time to prepare, and hopefully DQ is closer to 100%.  YSU really needs him to get going and hit some 3's along with having Akuchie be productive. 

My only concern is if YSU puts everything into tonight and comes up a little short, will they have gas in the tank for tomorrow?  At 2-4, YSU really needs to be able to split these next 2 weekends on the road so they don't really put themselves in a big hole. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »
I hope they can put in a good effort tonight.
IMO, we are lacking reliable 10-12 ft mid range jump shots in the zone. Those shots were provided by the 3 departed guys (Cathcart, Morgan & Simmons) last year.

Naz cannot continue to try to do inside layups facing taller teams. Since we don’t have the mid range jump shots , opponents extended the zone defense to 20+ feet that made our 3pts shots more difficult.
Somebody needs to find that gap inside the zone to make those shots.
Do we have person. Hey, Covington, please step up.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 04:55:29 PM »
 A lot of great points about tonights game.   Big concern is DQ playing at maybe 70% with a lingering ankle issue.
Overall size in the paint and a bench made up with potential  but young and inexperienced frosh.

They need to double the post and hopefully we can recover on their shooters on the post pass.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 05:40:25 PM »
DQ is out tonight. >:(

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 08:46:42 PM »
G at the buzzer! Gutsy win!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 08:51:43 PM »
Great pass by Naz to Covington for the layup as time expired. Good guys 74-72

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 09:08:10 PM »
I'm too excited to post.   Guys scrapped all 40 minutes.  All 3 seniors played like we all expected and can only wonder how much better it would have with a healthy DQ.  A lot of frosh played tonight with Myles Hunter giving the X factor.

I have a bad feeling we're going to see an improved effort from Louden Love tomorrow.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 09:24:32 PM »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 09:53:48 PM »
Great game for YSU.  Strong start really helped and the seniors played well with Naz the huge difference.  As the game winded down all the new guys were mostly standing around on offense almost not wanting the ball.  Not Naz, he took control and won the game. He made many strong moves to the basket covered by multiple players and still scored. Just amazing.  Glad for Michael A having a good game.  He had good arch on his 3's and they went in. At times his shot is flat, like a line drive, and the percentages go down. We need his height and experience to be competitive. The freshman are needed but inexperienced and put in really tough situations without much practice or playing time to get ready. Hope for a repeat tomorrow, but Wright State will be motivated and ready. Hopefully the new guys will learn from these games and grow as players.  They have skill and are really needed with Q down for now.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 10:22:38 PM »
For several minutes around the 8 minute mark of the second half, we actually had four freshmen on the court at the same time. And they kept the game within reach until Naz could take it over down the stretch.

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 10:28:32 AM »
     A number of factors were responsible for YSU's win last night.  The ones with the most direct impact were:

(1) Naz BOHANNON's ability to make free throws,
(2) high defensive intensity for forty minutes (which seeded an impressive series of fast breaks in the first half), and
(3) good coaching, to include game planning and game management.